Author Topic: "Celtics Core Players Are Absolutely Not Available" - Windhorst  (Read 9802 times)

"Celtics Core Players Are Absolutely Not Available" - Windhorst
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The reality is, the Celtics don't have easy options even if they were determined to upgrade in the middle. While one could have some fun with the Trade Machine, Boston has made it clear to anyone who has asked that their core players are absolutely not available. That includes, sources said, both Hayward and Smart, players who have been floated as possible trade chips in the past.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28088068/do-boston-celtics-embiid-sized-hole-their-lineup

Re: "Celtics Core Players Are Absolutely Not Available" - Windhorst
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Good. Nothing worth trading them for anyway.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
The only thing we need is an athletic, energetic, defense-oriented big.  Timelord may show enough to fill the role by the time the deadline rolls around so I am fine being patient.  If we do need help at that point, it shouldn’t cost more than picks and salary.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
You mean they're not gonna move Smart & the Memphis pick for Dedmon?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 02:25:49 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The only thing we need is an athletic, energetic, defense-oriented big.  Timelord may show enough to fill the role by the time the deadline rolls around so I am fine being patient.  If we do need help at that point, it shouldn’t cost more than picks and salary.

The problem is the salary part.  We won’t have the salaries to match say for Tristan Thompson without giving up part of our core.   We would have to shoot for the more lower salaried players like Willy Cauley Stein, but finding upgrades at the lower salaried end are few and far between.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't see a lot out there that I would want anyway.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
seems like a pretty obvious point. 

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Team is 11-2..only minor upgrade would be scoring off the bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:22:27 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Whoa looks like WinEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. has another exclusive

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I would love us to go after Turner/Sabonis/Bitadze (whomever becomes available).

Do you guys think we could trade for Turner/Sabonis without sacrificing one of our big 4?

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
This is as it should be.  The C's could not get anything back in value that would be equal or greater then Smart or Hayward.

I would love the C's to go after Thomas Bryant.  He was just out of the C's price range  when he resigned with Washington.  Kanter/Theis and Semi and a 1st.  Not sure if they view Bryant as part of the core but he's a great fit on the C's, good defender, rebounder can hit 3's and a good passer out of the post.  If he'd be available he's signed for 3 years and is young.  He didn't get a lot on the market but he's playing well so I'd doubt he'd get moved.

Other options could be Looney from GSW.  They are in a rebuild year while their stars get healthy.  There really isn't much out there that would move the needle for the C's.  Hopefully timelord can develop enough to split the time with Theis.  Otherwise they C's need to draft their bigs.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would love us to go after Turner/Sabonis/Bitadze (whomever becomes available).

Do you guys think we could trade for Turner/Sabonis without sacrificing one of our big 4?

You could get one with Smart most likely, unless he’s in your big 4 (I have a core 5, so I don’t know who your four are).  You would be foolish to make such a trade.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 03:44:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
This is as it should be.  The C's could not get anything back in value that would be equal or greater then Smart or Hayward.
How about Smart + Hayward for Brogdon + Turner?

Feel free to add pick(s) either way if necessary.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7248500

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

You could get one with Smart most likely, unless he’s in your big 4 (I have a core 5, so I don’t know who your four are).  You would be foolish to make such a trade.
I'm a huge fan of Smart's game, but if we could flip him for Turner, I'd probably do it.

Let's say Smart + Langford for Turner

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4lm4qhn

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I don't think you would need Smart to get Bitadze.  Though if we were that interested, we could have just chosen him over Romeo.

Someone mentioned Cauley-Stein earlier and I think that could be very manageable.  Maybe long-time board favorite Nerlens Noel as well.