Author Topic: I want Hanley Ramirez  (Read 14229 times)

Re: I want Hanley Ramirez
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Why so much pitching?

Ever heard the saying "can never have too much pitching"?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Why so much pitching?

I mean why give up so much pitching.

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 05:36:33 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Why so much pitching?

What do you mean give up so much?  We havn't given any up.
do it

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Why so much pitching?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the OP's proposal

I want Hanley Ramirez and I want him now.  I don't care what it costs us.  I want him playing next to Pedroia in the NEXT game.  I can't wait.  Get him now Theo.  NOW.

This is my first Red Sox post, so please forgive my trade attempt deficiencies:

Josh Beckett, Lugo, and a young pitching stud for Hanley Ramirez.

There's no trade I'd refuse, however....

We would be giving up Josh Beckett and a young pitching stud... which is absolutely ridiculous.

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I wouldn't even traded Beckett straight up for Ramirez, never mind including another young pitcher.  Pitching wins championships, not shortstops, we've proved that in 04 and 07.  I'd like him, but I'm not breaking this team or our great farm system up for Hanley Ramirez.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:04 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I wouldn't even traded Beckett straight up for Ramirez, never mind including another young pitcher.  Pitching wins championships, not shortstops, we've proved that in 04 and 07.  I'd like him, but I'm not breaking this team or our great farm system up for Hanley Ramirez.

Slight correction: pitching and defense up the middle wins championships. We don't need Hanley Ramirez. He's a luxury. We need a solid defensive shortstop who can make the plays and we're fine. Even with Papi's documented struggles we're in 1st place. Scoring runs obviously has not been a problem for us. Hanley is nothing more then a "shiny gold watch". I'll take our pitching any day. I can't believe I just read someone actually suggest replacing Ells in CF with Hanley. Ells who just made the first error of his CAREER yesterday and has exhibited exceptional range in center. But let's take a career shortstop and throw in into CF at Fenway and have him learn a new position. This is a galactically BAD idea.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1620
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't see Florida moving Hanley anytime soon.  They locked him up to a very team friendly contract and the team is looking for this guy to be their cornerstone in the future.  Also, an agreement is in place between the city of Miami and the Marlins to build a new ballpark opening in a few years.  He's going to be the face of this team as the organization attempts to license luxury boxes and attract new season ticket holders for the new ballpark. A bunch of no-name prospects acquired in a trade isn't going to do that. He's not going anywhere.

From the Sox perspective, the Sox don't need Hanley Ramirez and they certainly have no need to break the bank and part with some young pitching to go after him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 10:23:37 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Terrible defensive shortstop.  No thanks.  Did you see him against the Red Sox?  Not a Fenway shortstop imo.  Seems like a dumb player.

why does he have to play short?

we have a glaring hole at DH available.

papi's batting .317 with 4 hr and 10 rbi in the last ten games.
we don't have  a big hole at DH, just a big guy.

right, 10 games easily makes up for the last year and a half, really 2 years of complete decline. I'm sure he'll continue to hit that well to.  8)

why does he have to "make up for" the last year and a half. All he needs to do is play well now. If he keeps hitting like he has been of late, yeah the last year and half becomes totally irrelevant.

On Hanley, I would love to have his bat in the line up. He's the kind of bat that teams pitch around, and element we are missing without Manny...

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Slight correction: pitching and defense up the middle wins championships. We don't need Hanley Ramirez. He's a luxury. We need a solid defensive shortstop who can make the plays and we're fine. Even with Papi's documented struggles we're in 1st place. Scoring runs obviously has not been a problem for us. Hanley is nothing more then a "shiny gold watch". I'll take our pitching any day. I can't believe I just read someone actually suggest replacing Ells in CF with Hanley. Ells who just made the first error of his CAREER yesterday and has exhibited exceptional range in center. But let's take a career shortstop and throw in into CF at Fenway and have him learn a new position. This is a galactically BAD idea.

you need pop in your line up to win WSs. Last year was a pretty good example.

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
I know the saying is you can never have enough pitching, but we do have a surplus of pitching.  Also, we do not know what is going to happen to Bay after this season.  If the Sox have the chance to get a guy like Hanley Ramirez, they need to do it.  Bay is going to command a lot of money, he may not be a Red Sox, we do not know.  Even without Beckett, the Sox still have a very good staff.  I wouldn't trade Beckett and a stud pitching prospect, but Beckett and someone like Zink, or a low level prospect, I wouldn't mind dealing for Ramirez.  The reason the Sox lost last year was lack of hitting, so we will see how it goes this year.
do it

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:16 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Why so much pitching?

I meant in the deal the guy proposed Beckett and a prospect. We need Beckett unless we get a good pitcher.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I know the saying is you can never have enough pitching, but we do have a surplus of pitching.  Also, we do not know what is going to happen to Bay after this season.  If the Sox have the chance to get a guy like Hanley Ramirez, they need to do it.  Bay is going to command a lot of money, he may not be a Red Sox, we do not know.  Even without Beckett, the Sox still have a very good staff.  I wouldn't trade Beckett and a stud pitching prospect, but Beckett and someone like Zink, or a low level prospect, I wouldn't mind dealing for Ramirez.  The reason the Sox lost last year was lack of hitting, so we will see how it goes this year.

Its very doubtful that anybody would want zink.  In his one start last year he got shelled.  Also, giving up Beckett at this point is not gonna happen for anybody unless you are talking about pujols or somebody.  Beckett is pretty much untouchable at this point and he very well should be.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Keep in mind that Beckett is only signed thru next year. Ramirez is signed for five more seasons at reasonable money. If they were willing to move Hanley I think they would want a package starting with Buchholz + Lars.

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:52 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
Its very doubtful that anybody would want zink.  In his one start last year he got shelled.  Also, giving up Beckett at this point is not gonna happen for anybody unless you are talking about pujols or somebody.  Beckett is pretty much untouchable at this point and he very well should be.

I still do not understand why Beckett is untouchable.  I really would like everyone to look at his numbers so they can realize he is not as much of a stud as people think he is.    I understand no one would want Zink, I just meant someone like Zink, a Jeff Bailey, someone at that level.
do it

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I still do not understand why Beckett is untouchable.  I really would like everyone to look at his numbers so they can realize he is not as much of a stud as people think he is.    I understand no one would want Zink, I just meant someone like Zink, a Jeff Bailey, someone at that level.

Baseball, much like the NBA is a tournament league. All that matters is making the post season. It has always been that way. Curt schilling rarely had great regular seasons, but was light's out in the playoffs.

similarly, In the post season, josh is EXTREMELY dominate.

W7     L2  11 QS out of 13 games.   ERA 2.90 

Would you rather he be CC sabithia? He always puts up great regular seasons and then gets murdered in the playoffs when the pressure is on.   

Id rather have that as my 1, lester as my 2, and dice/ someone else if he continues to stink...then lester/dice (who may still be stinking)/someone untested just to upgrade our SS position at the cost of not only our Ace but ANOTHER quality pitching prospect, as this thread implies the OP would trade.

but, in reality:

1. The marlins won't trade him. He young and signed to a very team friendly contract for 4 more years.

2. you don't give up your ace and a high quality pitching prospect for hitting and zero pitching in return. thats just bad baseball.

EDIT: also, its not like he has terrable regular seasons here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckejo02.shtml?redir

he had a great 2007, and a  good 2006. (he didn't get the same amount of wins, which are overrated, but look at his QS's and WHIP.)

2008 he wasn't very good, to be sure, but guys have slumps, and he was hurt.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:38:40 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion