Author Topic: Danny Green As an Example of the Type of Player the Celtics Should Look For  (Read 1310 times)

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Danny Green is the product of great coaching and a phenomenal offensive system that works largely because of the aforementioned great coaching.

Lots of teams get players like Danny Green all the time, but they can't make the best use of them, which is why somebody like Green (or Gary Neal, or Matt Bonner, or Cory Joseph, or Matt Bonner, etc.) bounces around the league a bunch before catching on with a team like the Spurs.

All respect to Doc (who is out the door anyhow), the Celtics don't have that level of coaching.  They especially don't have an offensive system on par with the Spurs, even if they had the coaching to implement one.

I'm just not buying that Greens historic 3 point shooting has to do with Pop.

It has more to do with Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Tim Duncan etc . . .

It's not as simple as being "all about Pop."  The Spurs as a team run their system so well, and Danny Green gets a lot of really good open catch and shoot opportunities.

Partly he's just nailing a ridiculous number of shots.  Crazy statistical anomaly, really.  But he's had the opportunity to do that because the Spurs are just so good at executing their offense, and Green, Neal, and Leonard are the major beneficiaries of that.  Green could not have done this on a different team.

I think being on any elite team helps a ton. Its def not just the spurs.

Look at Leon Powe, James Posey, Big Baby and Eddie House for us.

All those guys made a name for themselves through the Celtics.

Edit:can't forget TA either. Sure there are plenty from other elite teams as well. A guy like Corey Brewer on the nugs

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Danny Green = Courtney Lee
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"