Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 369877 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1980 on: May 13, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Have they fired Brett Brown yet?  Cuz I woud have fired that hack before he got back to the lockerroom. 

That team had way too much talent to get owned in the 2nd round by inferior teams in back-to-back years.

« Reply #1981 on: May 13, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Have they fired Brett Brown yet?  Cuz I woud have fired that hack before he got back to the lockerroom. 

That team had way too much talent to get owned in the 2nd round by inferior teams in back-to-back years.

Patience. You gotta "Trust The Process!"  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1982 on: May 13, 2019, 06:40:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I find the notion that Simmons didn't improve at all to be strange.  He scored more with a better efficiency all while lowering his usage.  He rebounded better.  He turned it over less frequently.  His passing dropped a bit, but that should be expected with a ball handler like Butler joining the team.  His defensive stats were slightly lower, but again he had someone like Butler next to him taking some defensive pressure off.  He even improved his foul shooting (and got to the line much more frequently).  Sure he still won't shoot a 3 pointer, but he improved many aspects of his game.

He improved some aspects of his game, sure, but he remains a pure liability in the playoffs without a jump shot. Even Sixers fans would tell you that lol.

Did you know he improved his rebounding from 9 to 9.2 per game?

« Reply #1983 on: May 13, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I find the notion that Simmons didn't improve at all to be strange.  He scored more with a better efficiency all while lowering his usage.  He rebounded better.  He turned it over less frequently.  His passing dropped a bit, but that should be expected with a ball handler like Butler joining the team.  His defensive stats were slightly lower, but again he had someone like Butler next to him taking some defensive pressure off.  He even improved his foul shooting (and got to the line much more frequently).  Sure he still won't shoot a 3 pointer, but he improved many aspects of his game.

He improved some aspects of his game, sure, but he remains a pure liability in the playoffs without a jump shot. Even Sixers fans would tell you that lol.

Big if true

And did you know Simmons shot 100% from outside the paint in the postseason. Wow!

:P

« Reply #1984 on: May 13, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I was looking on Twitter to see if that had happened today. I don't think it is going to.

« Reply #1985 on: May 13, 2019, 06:45:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Big if true

And did you know Simmons shot 100% from outside the paint in the postseason. Wow!

Actually 0 for 0 is not any percentage. Can't divide numbers by zero😉😋😅

« Reply #1986 on: May 13, 2019, 06:51:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Big if true

He actually is 1 for 1, which is the joke  :P

Apparently he hit one "jumper" like 2 feet outside the paint, but it was still close to the hoop lol. Here's the shot chart:

It's crazy how he doesn't even attempt shots outside the paint. And this is the 2016 #1 pick?

« Reply #1987 on: May 13, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Big if true

Apparently he hit one "jumper" like 2 feet outside the paint, but it was still close to the hoop lol. Here's the shot chart:

It's crazy how he doesn't even attempt shots outside the paint. And this is the 2016 #1 pick?
Ah...my bad. I was thinking of basketball reference's shooting stats that had him not taking a single shot outside 16'.

I had no idea he took only one shot outside the paint. That's pathetic.

« Reply #1988 on: May 13, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Big if true

Ah...my bad. I was thinking of basketball reference's shooting stats that had him not taking a single shot outside 16'.

Now keep in mind he improved his shooting percentage from 55% to 56% this year, so he is getting better there.

« Reply #1989 on: May 13, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I rooted for Brown, b/c he's from Boston, when he wasn't opposing the Celts. However, he did a horrific job, coaching the 76ers. TV analysts and most fans were asking why Embiid didn't post up more down the stretch of game 7, instead of settling for so many 3's. He would have immediately drawn double teams and Embid is a good passer. Also, Simmons should have posted up to take advantage of his size. Instead, the 76ers kept taking low percentage shots and 3 times, late in the game, ran out the 24 second clock. Inexcusable. This team will be very lucky to retain Reddick, Harris and Butler next year. I predict Embid, if he can stay healthy, and Simmons, will learn from this debacle. If they retain their FAs and Embiid and Simmons continue to progress, Philly will be one of the favorites coming out of the East. It's been intriguing to me to hear about fans obsessing about player personelle. The Celts and 76ers had plenty of talent. It was inept game strategies which doomed these teams this year.

« Reply #1990 on: May 13, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Big if true

Now keep in mind he improved his shooting percentage from 55% to 56% this year, so he is getting better there.

Lol savage
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1991 on: May 13, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997

Was he involved at all in roster construction?  Sure, he could have done a better job, but at the same time he didn't have a viable backup big behind Embiid.  Their starting lineup is impressive, but their bench is horrendous.  The trade for Tobias was a bad one.

Thinking back about all of their bad draft picks - Noel, Okafor, Fultz... their current failures are in large part due to mismanagement of a shameless tank and rebuild.  Their future would be so much brighter if they had drafted Tatum instead of Fultz.  (Thanks again, Danny).

« Reply #1992 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Sure but that is a different argument.  He scored 1.1 more ppg on 0.1 less attempts per game.  That is a rather significant improvement in efficiency (which mind you is what I said, which of course clay blows out of proportion which he always does with my posts).  Most of that improved efficiency was in his much larger free throw rate and improved FT %. In other words, he figured out how to get to the line a lot better and made better use of it (which also obviously puts the opposing team in worse foul trouble).

There is no question Simmons lack of attempts from deep is absolutely a problem, though i do wonder if the Sixers just called him a power forward and had a more traditional point guard if a lot of that problem would disappear.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1993 on: May 13, 2019, 08:03:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Sure but that is a different argument.  He scored 1.1 more ppg on 0.1 less attempts per game.  That is a rather significant improvement in efficiency (which mind you is what I said, which of course clay blows out of proportion which he always does with my posts).  Most of that improved efficiency was in his much larger free throw rate and improved FT %. In other words, he figured out how to get to the line a lot better and made better use of it (which also obviously puts the opposing team in worse foul trouble).

There is no question Simmons lack of attempts from deep is absolutely a problem, though i do wonder if the Sixers just called him a power forward and had a more traditional point guard if a lot of that problem would disappear.
I can't believe you are trying to pass off the extremely minor upticks in some counting stats as some type of improvement.

He took 1 extra FT per game...1.

He went from a pathetically bad 56% FT shooting to only a slightly less pathetic 60%.

He scored a whole 1.1 points more per game.

He rebounded a whole 0.2 more rebounds per game.

He has only a half an assist less per game.

You can interpret that as some type of improvement. Most will see that as just a normal yearly variance and say he stagnated, which is pretty much what the eye test shows.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:17:25 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #1994 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I rather have Embiid than...

love this quote... this is what a true team player is all about

"This year I think he grew even more as a coach. He learned, we all learned.

"At the end of the day, it comes down to the players. I don't think he should have anything to worry about. He's an amazing coach, a better person. ... If there was someone to blame, I mean, put it all on me."