Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 275384 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #585 on: September 30, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Had Two Brothers "Atom Smasher" on Friday night.  A marzen style beer.  Definitely kicked me in the butt a bit.  7.7 ABV.  Had a flight the next morning and definitely felt some of the effects.

On the lighter side of an oktoberfest but still had a solid taste.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #586 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Tried the double Jack from Sam Adams. Kinda okay? Not worth the $ though so poor value, but it takes a different slant than other flagship double pumpkins straying away from the sweet dessert feel and emphasizing the flavor of actual pumpkin rather than just paying it lip service and flooding you with caramel and cinnamon.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #587 on: October 03, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tried the double Jack from Sam Adams. Kinda okay? Not worth the $ though so poor value, but it takes a different slant than other flagship double pumpkins straying away from the sweet dessert feel and emphasizing the flavor of actual pumpkin rather than just paying it lip service and flooding you with caramel and cinnamon.

I tried that stuff last year.  Was not a fan at all.   Heavy and it just tries to do too much from a flavor standpoint and succeeds at none of it,

I think for every good pumpkin out there (ale, lager, stout, etc), there are about 7 or 8 that fail miserably. 

« Reply #588 on: October 03, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I tried that stuff last year.  Was not a fan at all.   Heavy and it just tries to do too much from a flavor standpoint and succeeds at none of it,

I think for every good pumpkin out there (ale, lager, stout, etc), there are about 7 or 8 that fail miserably.

Have you tried Southern Tier's Pumpking?

That's the only one where when it get put in front of me I think, 'sweet. I'll enjoy this.'

« Reply #589 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's the only one where when it get put in front of me I think, 'sweet. I'll enjoy this.'

Oh yeah, it's the bomb.  Although, I can really only do one or two in a sitting before the sweetness gets to me.

« Reply #590 on: October 03, 2013, 11:45:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
My wife went by a Wegman's in Syracuse (they also go by 'the best freaking supermarkets in the history of supermarkets') and picked me up some beers. Among them was the Fat Jack, but ALSO, a joy I've been avoiding for no good reason at all: Bear Republic's Hop Rod RyPA.

I think I've talked about this beer before, but man, it's awesome. Super Hoppy, creamy but not in a weird way, looks like a dream. If you've never tried it...well you should.

« Reply #591 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Oh yeah, it's the bomb.  Although, I can really only do one or two in a sitting before the sweetness gets to me.

Tell me all about 3floyds. All about them.

« Reply #592 on: October 04, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I had a 4oz pour at a beer fest last weekend in Maine of the Long Trail Imperial Pumpkin and it was freaking good. Need to pick up a few bottles just to make sure though.

Side note has anyone been to the seaport hotel for the Longtrail Homey Ginger IPA? Collaboration beer with seaport hotel I guess they lrovided the honey maybe? You can only get it there as far as I know and I'm dying to try it.

« Reply #593 on: October 04, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Seconded.  BTW, I'm seriously missing my Dogfish Head Punkin these days - can't get it here.  Only pumpkin I really care for. 

And Sam Adams has consistently disappointed me for a long time.  Tastes too processed or something, I don't know, hard to put my finger on it but it's in every style it seems.

« Reply #594 on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Seconded.  BTW, I'm seriously missing my Dogfish Head Punkin these days - can't get it here.  Only pumpkin I really care for. 

And Sam Adams has consistently disappointed me for a long time.  Tastes too processed or something, I don't know, hard to put my finger on it but it's in every style it seems.

Where are you located? Wolavers pumpkin is pretty dope

« Reply #595 on: October 04, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Personally, I think they're a little overrated.  There are people out there who seem to worship them.  My biggest issue is that you could put a Robert the Bruce, Alpha King, Pride/Joy in front of me and I can't tell the difference.  They taste very similar.

The Zombie Dust is probably my favorite beer from there.  I will admit that they have cool looking bottles. 

They do have this really cool thing called Dark Lord Day.  It's like every April or so.  They have this Dark Lord Imperial Stout that they release one day a year.  So people go down to Muenster and tailgate and stuff, hoping to get the opportunity to purchase it.  You see bottles of the stuff going for some pretty ridiculous prices on the secondary market.

« Reply #596 on: October 04, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My wife went by a Wegman's in Syracuse (they also go by 'the best freaking supermarkets in the history of supermarkets')

I've been to Wegmans, and it is a really good store (but man do you NY'ers talk about it like it's a god-send).  Better than any grocery stores in NH, probably all of NE.

Harris Teeter gives it a run for it's money though.  I also really like Trader Joe's (not really a supermarket) too.

« Reply #597 on: October 04, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
S/o to IP:

Bottle of pump king ruled, and admittedly knocked me on my butt a little.

« Reply #598 on: October 04, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
S/o to IP:

Bottle of pump king ruled, and admittedly knocked me on my butt a little.

I have also had the same experience with Pumpking.  Love me some southern tier.

Also had some miller lite last night.  Not sure if any of you have ever tried it.  It got the job done.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #599 on: October 04, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Southern Tiers PumpKing is pretty much the only pumpkin beer I enjoy. The rest are just so darn mediocre, IMHO. Even my favorite breweries - Dogfish, Weyerbacher - pretty much FAIL when it comes to pumpkin beers.

That said, I still try just about every pumpkin beer out there, just in case....

So, I recently bought a sixer of Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout. I've been drinking one per night the last five nights, and each night they grow on me a bit. It is a stout, with a very slight "pumpkin beer" after taste to it (read: a hint a holiday spices). I think its actually pretty well done. Of course, this is in part bc my expectations have been lowered to such a ridiculous degree over the past few years of trying every pumpkin beer out there.
Celtics fan for life.