Author Topic: Does anyone follow high school ball/ college recruiting ?  (Read 4515 times)

Does anyone follow high school ball/ college recruiting ?
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I have a quick question to anyone who follows recruiting for D1 basketball.

There was a rumor earlier this year that Marvin Bagley iii was going to reclassify to the class of 2017.

What's the latest update?

Thank you.

Re: Does anyone follow high school ball/ college recruiting ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I believe it wasn't his camp who wanted to reclassify, but that someone said it was possible he COULD reclassify, like he had the ability to. I think he is staying in his current class. I wish he did reclassify. It would just make next year oh so interesting haha.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I havent heard that he would. R.J Barrett is rumored to be a reclassify candidate.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I hadn't heard anything about Bagley reclassifying until reading this thread, but after googling it, it looks like he is not giving it consideration at this moment (though if he did, that would be such a great thing for the Celtics).

https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/05/28/marvin-bagley-iii-talks-top-six-schools-possibility-reclassifying/

I also had read something a few months back about the possibility of RJ Barrett considering reclassifying into the 2018 class.  That would be nice for the Celtics since our best case scenario in the 2019 draft is pick #2, but if Bagley and Barrett are both in that class we'd at least have a shot at one of them.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
As it stands now, are Bagley and/or Barrett better than anything that is available next year?

Mike

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
As it stands now, are Bagley and/or Barrett better than anything that is available next year?

Mike

Bagley is in the same pseudo tier of Porter and Ayton. I think it all depends what each shows scouts in college. Porter looks like a great, big scoring wing.

Ayton looks like a modern center who can do everything except for having a dominant post arsenal. He is super long and runs like a deer on top of being super coordinated with a great jumper. Oh and he is like 240-250 already at his age. 7'0 with a 7'5 wingspan. He rebounds and defends very well, and plays like he is as big as he is. Main question is his motor that waxes and wanes. With a consistent motor, he is a KAT/AD level prospect.

Bagley is super skilled and large for a modern pf (6'11). He also is super bouncy, with very good touch. He is very coordinated and has good instincts. Super locked in, but needs to add a tiny bit of weight. Nothing crazy. I've seen alot of people refer to him as the best prospect since AD.

The other guy no. Basically Bagley reclassifying would be a huge plus for us.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Apparently this Marvin Bagley re-classifying story has more legs than I first realized:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/07/marvin_bagley_potential_no_1_p.html

I'd love to have a shot at him with the in '18 with the Nets pick.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Apparently this Marvin Bagley re-classifying story has more legs than I first realized:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/07/marvin_bagley_potential_no_1_p.html

If this is legit, it makes the consolation prizes Doncic, Porter and Ayton....thats a nutty scenario lol.
#JKJB

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/marvin-bagley-iii-mulls-reclassifying-playing-in-college-this-year-duke-usc-zona-in-play/

This is really huge news for us. Bagley is said to be a generational type talent and arguably the best prospect in the last decade. More importantly, it pushes the other top prospects down. This looks like it could be a legendary class and one where we could be looking at drafting 2 in the top 5.

Additionally, Bagley would immediately move to the top of most 2018 NBA mock drafts -- ahead of Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton and everybody else.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
im mostly middle school .... ;D

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

If this is legit, it makes the consolation prizes Doncic, Porter and Ayton....thats a nutty scenario lol.
There's a scenario where the Lakers suck and get you #2 pick, nets suck and get you #1 pick, and Danny trades down from #1 to 3 and 4 and grabs somehow all 3 of those guys. Lol if that happens, you build a statue for ainge and don't look back

We've been so spoiled with these high lottery picks that we all the prospects for ourselves lol

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UebzKLeH24

This is him against DeRozan. Yes, Bagley is 6'11". Yes, he's a PF.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

There's a scenario where the Lakers suck and get you #2 pick, nets suck and get you #1 pick, and Danny trades down from #1 to 3 and 4 and grabs somehow all 3 of those guys. Lol if that happens, you build a statue for ainge and don't look back

We've been so spoiled with these high lottery picks that we all the prospects for ourselves lol

I feel like we would have to consolidate haha. There is only so much talent one team can have before toes are stepped on.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I really like Bagley. I can't wait to see him in college... hopefully this upcoming season!

Add him to Brown and Tatum is unfair... not to mention a small chance to get another elite prospect such as (in order of preference):

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Michael Porter Jr.
3. Mo Bamba
4. Luka Doncic

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 10:27:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I really like Bagley. I can't wait to see him in college... hopefully this upcoming season!

Add him to Brown and Tatum is unfair... not to mention a small chance to get another elite prospect such as (in order of preference):

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Michael Porter Jr.
3. Mo Bamba
4. Luka Doncic
imagine that summer league team with Tatum Bagley and porter