Author Topic: Cowherd on C's - 4.5 minute segment  (Read 3889 times)

Cowherd on C's - 4.5 minute segment
« on: February 24, 2021, 10:20:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
"Congratulations on being patient, frugal and winning trades. You're just not that good of a basketball team."

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1363913750613352449?s=20

This is a pretty good summary of how I feel right now and really touches on a lot of the topics permeating the board right now so I thought I would share it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Cowherd on C's - 4.5 minute segment
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 10:25:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
But they are in the playoffs each year and not paying the tax. Ownership doesn't care about winning it all.  ::)

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 10:38:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I checked out after he started comparing us to the Packers. I just don't care about football in any capacity on any level. Not everyone needs their sports lives to revolve around American football.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:40:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Don’t like Cowherd ....but there is only one thing left in that tirade.......

QED!!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:47:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Yeeeeeeah. No point in doing highway robberies and being patient when your team can't even win

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 11:16:16 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Cowherd is mostly correct but, if Hayward didn't break his leg in half things would be different.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 11:21:09 PM »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 252
It hurts, but it's a fair observation. We have been waiting and almost getting there. But, we don't have the knockout punch in the 3 ECF final series. Then we lost our stamina and now sitting tired at the corner.

Unless it's the Warriors, who has bonafide 3 pointers across positions, no team would ever win it all with high volume wings/guards. The Celtics should get a legitimate big to complement the current wings we have.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 11:21:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Go home coward

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 02:41:23 AM »

Offline uconnceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I've been a Celtic fan back to 1970 and this team has tons of talent, but is lacking heart. Sorry but that is a fact.

I am not a fan of Cowherd but he isn't wrong. The Celtics need a leader and they don't have that right now. Man I wish Paul Pierce type on the team

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 07:58:44 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
It hurts, but it's a fair observation. We have been waiting and almost getting there. But, we don't have the knockout punch in the 3 ECF final series. Then we lost our stamina and now sitting tired at the corner.

Unless it's the Warriors, who has bonafide 3 pointers across positions, no team would ever win it all with high volume wings/guards. The Celtics should get a legitimate big to complement the current wings we have.

It is funny that everyone locally and nationally is piling on the Celtics so much but aren't the Warriors exhibit 1 as to just how fragile it is, the difference between a title contender and a lottery team?  GSW went from winning a title, to not being better than the Cavs, to getting Durant and wining titles again to suffering some injuries and FA losses and ending up in the cellar, deep in the cellar.

GSW had about everything go right for them awhile there.  They had some good fortune in the draft (Curry, Green really out performed their draft positions) and they were able to attract a big name (one of the biggest name) free agents.  Now they are having a couple of rough years but could be working their way back.  Their problem is injuries and FA loss (sound familiar?).

The Celtics have been able to GM their way and coach their way to the final 4, what, 3 of the last 4 years?  And in all cases with what would largely be considered overachieving teams.  This is in the face of major FA losses and major injuries to key players.  The Celtics didn't end up in the cellar (or haven't yet).

And now some radio guy says we try too hard to win trades?  What does that even mean?  This has been a down year for us for (so far) as again, we are dealing with injuries and FA losses.  But just as it is fragile to go from top to bottom, it goes the other way too.  I don't believe we are that far away.  It does not seem it based on the last 10 games or so but that it what I see when I look at more than just the box score.  A team that has a good foundation but just hasn't been able to gel around a core unit.

It may not come together this season.  Our ability to be an ECF contending team depends a lot on Kemba's knee but also it depends on our ability to fill a few depth holes on our team.  Filling depth holes is not a given but it is also a reasonable goal around the trade deadline.  Teams are able to add a depth piece or two all the time in this way.  Miami last season was a perfect example.  And less likely but not out of the question is we bring in an upper end PF somehow and then we could be right there with any team in the east.

I say don't listen to Colin Cowherd, don't let him stoke things here in Boston.  He is just trying to be provocative.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 08:05:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cowherd is SAS, with less knowledge and credibility.  His hot takes are meaningless.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 08:20:01 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Cowherd is SAS, with less knowledge and credibility.  His hot takes are meaningless.

Ideas are ideas. People are people. You are confusing the two.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 08:23:14 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 188
I've been a Celtic fan back to 1970 and this team has tons of talent, but is lacking heart. Sorry but that is a fact.

I am not a fan of Cowherd but he isn't wrong. The Celtics need a leader and they don't have that right now. Man I wish Paul Pierce type on the team

No offense to you, or paul pierce who I love but both Jayson and jaylen are better leaders then Paul was at the same age...they need the KG type.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 08:28:39 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

This is revisionist history.  PP was basically Carmelo Anthony for the first half of his career, good stats bad team guy, and a horrible leader.  He needed to become a leader.  PP was 21 or 22 when he got drafted.  JB and JT are more advanced than PP as players and people/leaders was at their age.

As fans we've been incredibly spoiled to see such a young core go the ECF 3/4 years.  We need to be patient with this team and JB/JT

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 10:36:48 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

This is revisionist history.  PP was basically Carmelo Anthony for the first half of his career, good stats bad team guy, and a horrible leader.  He needed to become a leader.  PP was 21 or 22 when he got drafted.  JB and JT are more advanced than PP as players and people/leaders was at their age.

As fans we've been incredibly spoiled to see such a young core go the ECF 3/4 years.  We need to be patient with this team and JB/JT

TP to you and Scary Jerry for truth...no pun intended.  What we miss is having guys with J's talent who are also 30 years old or above...  But as you say, Jaylen and Jayson will be leaderly long before age 30...

And the C's do need to add a couple tough personalities in the next year if possible.  Smart needs help in that department so he doesn't have to be the main engine by himself...

The Jay's postseason performances have been mostly good, especially Jaylen.  The growing leadership will help shore up the 4th quarter issues, untimely turnovers, and such..