Author Topic: Tatum a very special type of rookie  (Read 2734 times)

Tatum a very special type of rookie
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Last year Brogdon this year Kuzma,Mitchell and Simmons-is there a real advantage to drafting young players.Most of them do not have mature bodies,go to losing systems and may develop some bad habits and injuries pushing young bodies to the limits against grown men.It is very rare to get such a polished athlete as Tatum with the luxury of playing with a first team and playoff bound.There are two all stars and Horford is uniquely placed as part of orchestrating Tatum and Kyrie has the Duke connection..Older rookies still have plenty of time to improve with the Celtics.I think Bostons brain trust should focus on this area in coming drafts.Isaiah improved under Brad,Turner improved under Brad.
Remember the injuries to Gordon,Parker,Okafor,Smart,Lavine,Randle,Exum,Noel,,Winslow ,RJH pushing young bodies to limit against grown men where Tatum is allowed to take what is given and make incremental growth steps.
In hindsight Hayward going down may have gifted the pairing of Jaylen and Jayson and hastened their growth at both ends of court,Also the signing of Theis  with his rebounding and defensive hustle.That is the type of inside the park home run Danny is capable of.There were tapes of Danny watching Ojeleye in his West Coast workouts pre draft.Danny doesn't miss much including Rozier(nice play last night)
Danny's job now is getting tougher with max contracts but he might be better suited than most GMs in pruning  a roster and co ordinating a mix of quality cheap contracts that play multiple positions
That leeds me to -can Tatum be groomed as a point forward he has decent handles and his court vision may be underated and also Hayward can certainly play that position,
For those that think players can't improve with age look at Horford and his passing and outside game..
Baynes is getting time and exposure that is only going to increase his value making him hard to keep-it is going to be difficult for us fans and Brad is lucky to have a GM that can make those necessary moves.Next year will be like adding an all star first number one in draft with Hayward coming in
Again the development this year would have been stunted with lack of time without Haywards injury                     .ITS HARD TO BELIEVE
                 THAT Jason is 19 yrs old   and Jaylen a mere 21
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:54:58 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Tatum a very special type of rookie
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Well put. As horrific as the Hayward injury was, the silver lining is that Jaylen and Jayson are thrown into the fire and are getting 30 min a night to accelerate their development and acclimate to the NBA. Because of this, they’re both going to be much better players next year than they would have been otherwise, and it’s scary to think about how good this team is gonna be once Gordon is healthy. Throw in a shot at Bamba or Ayton, and an off-season of development for the Jays, and you’ve got a title contender for the next 10 years. Gonna be real fun to watch.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hayward going down has created more opportunities for Jaylen and Jayson, but remember that both were in the starting line-up on opening night with Hayward at SF. Tatum was going to get major minutes regardless - likely at the expense of Smart/Rozier/Ojeleye.

I do agree, though, Tatum seems like the real deal.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Hayward going down has created more opportunities for Jaylen and Jayson, but remember that both were in the starting line-up on opening night with Hayward at SF. Tatum was going to get major minutes regardless - likely at the expense of Smart/Rozier/Ojeleye.

Right, but also keep in mind that the 20+ shots Hayward would have been taking per game have to go somewhere, and as a result both Jaylen and Jayson have been playing larger roles than they would have otherwise been, starting or not starting. It’ll be interesting to see how Stevens  adapts to Hayward’s return, because Jaylen and Jayson are too talented to not be taking 10+ shots a night at least. We’ve just got so much young talent, and only so many shots to go around- not a half bad problem to have IMO  8)

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Right, but also keep in mind that the 20+ shots Hayward would have been taking per game have to go somewhere, and as a result both Jaylen and Jayson have been playing larger roles than they would have otherwise been, starting or not starting. It’ll be interesting to see how Stevens  adapts to Hayward’s return, because Jaylen and Jayson are too talented to not be taking 10+ shots a night at least. We’ve just got so much young talent, and only so many shots to go around- not a half bad problem to have IMO  8)
Of course, as good as Tatum and Brown have been at times, we would rather Hayward have those shots because he is a better player right now.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
A very special player in every sense, but still we got Smart who always has the ball and doesn't know what to do with it. Tatum just has to be our second baller, behind Kyrie. He's far better than Smart, Brown, Rozier and all others.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
Saw glimpses of the Tatum-Horford pick and roll yesterday and tatum really looked comfortable and made all the correct desicions with the ball.
A wing running pick and roll at 19. Very Very special player.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is.   And lets not forget he is 10-15 underweight at the moment

Once he packs on some mass....his explosiveness could improve...which makes him an even deadlier player.

His 3 pt shooting was not suppose to be this good this early...but I will take it! One less thing to worry about his future development.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
His defense/ passing has also exceeded expectations

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

If Hayward returns this season, I could easily see CBS bringing Hayward off the bench when he gets back.  He can be the scorer the bench needs without the pressure to deliver right away.

What is more fascinating is what to do next season.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Of course, as good as Tatum and Brown have been at times, we would rather Hayward have those shots because he is a better player right now.

Would we, though? Tatum is currently blowing away Hayward's career percentages and Jaylen is shooting the same FG% and 3PT% as Hayward's best year (last year). Of course Hayward will be a welcome addition to our team, but I am perfectly fine with the shots Tatum and Brown are taking and their roles should only increase from this point forward.

Also, Hayward has never exceeded 15 FGA/gm and I doubt he will be expected to lead the team in this category upon his return. He will be an All-Star level player, but may end up as the wing version of Horford on this team.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Also, Hayward has never exceeded 15 FGA/gm and I doubt he will be expected to lead the team in this category upon his return. He will be an All-Star level player, but may end up as the wing version of Horford on this team.
May? I'm almost certain he'd be closer to that than to the type of expectations people seem to have.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

We would?? That's a matter of opinion, and a highly debateable one at that. Tatum is averaging nearly a 51/52/84% shooting split right now, which puts him in very elite company. Outside of maybe passing and defense, which Tatum is still very solid at both, it's hard to argue that Hayward is much better of a player than Tatum is currently. (Which is awesome to be saying about a 19 yr old rookie!)

With how efficient Jayson is, leading the league in 3p%, averaging 14ppg on only 9fga, and rarely (if ever) taking bad shots, how can you seriously say you'd rather have Hayward taking his shots?

And for that matter, even Jaylen is averaging a 47/40/59% shooting split. His FT shooting admittedly needs work (obviously), but for comparison, Hayward averaged a 47/40/84% split himself last yr- almost identical FG/3P numbers to Jaylen's right now.

You could make an argument for the team being slightly better off with Hayward shooting more than Brown, due to Brown's struggles at the FT line, but I don't know why anyone would think Hayward should shoot more than Tatum. If Tatum can maintain his Bird-like efficiency with increased FGA, then he should definitely be among the team leaders in FGA.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Would we, though? Tatum is currently blowing away Hayward's career percentages and Jaylen is shooting the same FG% and 3PT% as Hayward's best year (last year). Of course Hayward will be a welcome addition to our team, but I am perfectly fine with the shots Tatum and Brown are taking and their roles should only increase from this point forward.

Yeah, let's not get crazy here.  Tatum is a very nice rookie and Brown has shown glimpses and a noticeable leap in his second year.

Hayward has been an alpha on a playoff team and is significantly better than either Tatum or Brown at this moment.  Would rather have Hayward and full strength to give the team the best chance to win right now.  Tatum and Brown would find their roles in that situation (and might even be more effective).  I would not worry about it either way.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he's special enough that only 30 games into the season Danny looks like a genius trading the #1 pick (Fultz) to get Tatum and either the Laker pick this coming draft or the Sac pick the next draft.   

Probably the first time I can recall here that Danny hasn't been getting crucified for whomever he picked in the draft by the resident draftniks who think they could do a better job.  Last guy i think got universal praise was Al Jefferson when people saw what he could do in the post as a rookie.