Author Topic: Rozier On Get Up! & First Take Today  (Read 26258 times)

Re: Rozier On Get Up! & First Take Today
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
When Rozier claimed the handle "Scary Terry" something malfunction in his brain. Terry is now a legend in his own mind.

Bye Terry, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

It's remarkable isn't it?  I wonder what goes through his mind in the film room where he's watching himself dribble the air out of the ball, taking tough stepback long 2's and 3's which seldom go in, and lose his man on defense.  "That wouldn't happen if I got more playing time".  Newsflash Terry: all players, even the stars, sacrifice on winning teams.  You didn't sacrifice more, you just had a lesser role because you're a player of lesser talent.

Great news to hear him whining about his ego.  Pretty much guarantees that he's gone, which is a top offseason priority IMO.

« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2019, 08:01:17 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Double post
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:11:50 PM by SCeltic34 »

« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Also consider some statistics, per basketball reference.

During the regular season, the Celtics eFG% was a significant 0.052% worse when Rozier was on the floor (vs. off the floor), and the offensive rating was 8.7 points worse.  That is... a tremendous difference.   The same was true in the playoffs.  The Celtics eFG was 0.049% worse, and the offensive rating was  6.6 points worse with Rozier on the court.  Not to mention he shot just 32% in the playoffs, including 24% from 3, while averaging a pitiful 3.9 assists per 36 minutes.

If you like Rozier and support him, that's fine.  I just don't quite understand why.  He's a malcontent who overestimates his abilities and he both visibly (eye test) and statistically makes our team worse when he plays.

By all means, get lost Terry.

« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2019, 08:11:05 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Rozier is a strange contrast to Smart. Drafted onto a team with Rajon Rondo, not a great fit for either and the latter is clearly a star past his best. Eventually got the starting job and even made the Playoffs. Next season, Celtics draft another point guard in Rozier and he now comes off the bench for Isaiah - a guy who most penciled as a 6th man star. Celtics then trade for another star point guard in Kyrie and sophomore Jaylen Brown starts at the two spot ahead of him after Avery Bradley's departure. Furthermore, whenever Kyrie is out, Rozier is the de facto starter despite everyone knowing he's worse. Next season, Brad suddenly makes him a starter again when things start to go to crap.

Dude never whines and his role has changed all the time. Plays the same way no matter his shot attempts or minutes. That's an underrated skill, I think. Very glad Ainge extended Marcus, I really don't take him for granted.

« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rozier reminds me so much of Big Baby during his final years with the Celtics. So egotistical, thinking teams should pay him more than they should.

Very good comp.  Right down to how his ego became inflated because of a flukey playoff run in which he was filling in for an injured star.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Also consider some statistics, per basketball reference.

During the regular season, the Celtics eFG% was a significant 0.052% worse when Rozier was on the floor (vs. off the floor), and the offensive rating was 8.7 points worse.  That is... a tremendous difference.   The same was true in the playoffs.  The Celtics eFG was 0.049% worse, and the offensive rating was  6.6 points worse with Rozier on the court.  Not to mention he shot just 32% in the playoffs, including 24% from 3, while averaging a pitiful 3.9 assists per 36 minutes.

If you like Rozier and support him, that's fine.  I just don't quite understand why.  He's a malcontent who overestimates his abilities and he both visibly (eye test) and statistically makes our team worse when he plays.

By all means, get lost Terry.

TP

« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
No accountability. He thinks he can coast on a couple of months of good play from last year.
I think it was more he wanted the opportunity to expand on a couple months of good postseason play from last year, to prove that he can be that player as a starting point guard and show runner on a team.  And he is troubled by never getting that opportunity.

As a point guard myself, I can say its difficult to play alongside other point guards.  You try your best, but it can be frustrating when neither of you feel like you can really maximize your own utility in order to help your team win.  Usually it works out best for one to defer to the other and the deferring one tries to do his best playing in a role that doesn't utilize his strengths.  And it sounds like Terry was the one being asked to defer and change his game.

I don't want to excuse Terry necessarily for his poor play and certainly can't say that his play this season ever earned him any more time.  But I can totally get what he's feeling inside.  It was a ****ty situation.

And I've got a ton of respect for players that can adapt and change their games to fit alongside similar players.  CP3 has particularly impressed me in that regard.  But I definitely can understand how its hard to do that.

But, the inability to adapt or defer to better players is a flaw. The guy can’t accept a role.  And he shows zero accountability, and blames others.

It may be hard, but I don’t want guys who perform only when things are easy.

The more I remember Rozier playing like he did and acting like he is, the more I appreciate Jaylen Brown. Brown struggled with his role, but he adapted and drowned out all the negativity and drama and turned into the best player version of himself in the process. After Brown healed up after being injured and relegated to the bench, he turned things around. He, Al and Morris were the team's best players in the playoffs.

And Brown isn't throwing people under the bus. He didn't complain about what happened. And he showed, he is a professional. Even his public push back of Kyrie's public criticism of the youth, in hindsight, shows better leadership than anything Kyrie did publicly.

I totally hear what both of you guys are saying.  I still understand where Terry's coming from a bit.  But I definitely don't disagree with you guys.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2019, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Danny Ainge after drafting Rozier:  the fans are gonna love terry.   Bwhahahaha lol

« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2019, 11:28:07 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Keep on trading Danny, you ain’t made a bad move yet!

« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Looks like Terry is trying to force his way out of Boston. Which makes it very likely he knows Kyrie is staying in Boston.

« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2019, 11:31:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rozier reminds me so much of Big Baby during his final years with the Celtics. So egotistical, thinking teams should pay him more than they should.

Very good comp.  Right down to how his ego became inflated because of a flukey playoff run in which he was filling in for an injured star.
pho, I don’t know about you, but the more I hear from guys like terry, the more I respect Kyrie Irving for carrying this talentless group of talentless hot head malcontents to 49 wins.  Pretty impressive given they are likely a talentless 20-40 win team without him and their incessant whining likely brought cancer to the talentless lockeroom. Kudos to kyrie for putting up with this childish talentless nonsense.   

« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

pho, I don’t know about you, but the more I hear from guys like terry, the more I respect Kyrie Irving for carrying this talentless group of talentless hot head malcontents to 49 wins.  Pretty impressive given they are likely a talentless 20-40 win team without him and their incessant whining likely brought cancer to the talentless lockeroom. Kudos to kyrie for putting up with this childish talentless nonsense.
You had me rolling at "talentless 20-40 win team" LB
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #192 on: May 14, 2019, 11:40:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You had me rolling at "talentless 20-40 win team" LB
real talk though... I don’t believe a Celtic fan can blame kyrie for this season and also hate terry Rozier.  Those two concepts contradict each other.  Either you accept that this squad didn’t have the talent to compete - or you believe Terry Rozier’s borderline allstar play from two seasons ago was sustainable.

« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:50 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
When Rozier claimed the handle "Scary Terry" something malfunction in his brain. Terry is now a legend in his own mind.

Bye Terry, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

It's remarkable isn't it?  I wonder what goes through his mind in the film room where he's watching himself dribble the air out of the ball, taking tough stepback long 2's and 3's which seldom go in, and lose his man on defense.  "That wouldn't happen if I got more playing time".  Newsflash Terry: all players, even the stars, sacrifice on winning teams.  You didn't sacrifice more, you just had a lesser role because you're a player of lesser talent.

Great news to hear him whining about his ego.  Pretty much guarantees that he's gone, which is a top offseason priority IMO.
Your posts take the words out of my mouth, Kyrie is right all along, our young guys is the problem

« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2019, 12:43:19 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
You can tell Terry is not trying to be bitter, he’s trying to be honest and accurate.

His discussion about how the coaches never tried to make adjustments with Hayward and Irving was most interesting to me. Second most interesting was when he sort of called out Brad’s rotations.

This is ugly! There was clearly a lot rotten on this team.

Rozier's comments make sense. You could just tell there was something fundamentally wrong inside this team that was not going to be fixed with strategic changes. I also would have a problem if the coaching staff did just re-insert Hayward and Irving and tell the young guys to adjust their game to fit the returning all-stars instead of giving credit to the guys that took us to the East Finals and coaching Irving to compliment them. Hayward was rushed along too quickly, plus he and Irving's playing styles do not fit well together. You have to wonder how much Danny told Stevens to accommodate Irving and keep him happy, no matter what he does on the court or off. That would be very troubling if true.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce