Author Topic: Borderlands  (Read 9578 times)

Re: Borderlands
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah my bird tends to rip bandits in half.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 01:24:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So the big question, at least from comparing the two games at a surface level, is how close is this to Fallout 3?  They seem to have a lot of similar concepts, etc.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 01:28:38 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
Yeah my bird tends to rip bandits in half.

Yep, nevermind the big guy with they heavy machine gun who's taking aim, watch out for Fafnir's pet.  If that bird dives down from the sky people EXPLODE!  Far worse a death than a few large caliber rounds  :o

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
So the big question, at least from comparing the two games at a surface level, is how close is this to Fallout 3?  They seem to have a lot of similar concepts, etc.
Hmm, I'd have to play a few more hours to really be able to give a good answer to that.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet

Aside from the post-apocolyptic setting and sense of humor in the characters they are almost completely different games to me.  I love Fallout 3, but its all about the single player story and exploring the world.  The combat was good and I've always loved the Fallout RPG sense of humor. It wasn't a shooter at all it was more a RPG that had a little bit of shooting in it.  I tended to use VATS anytime I could.  I still need to go play most of the downloadable content but it was my favorite game of last year.

After just playing for a few hours Borderlands seems like  a shooter with a little bit of RPG added on.  You have skill trees and weapon skills but its no where near as detailed as Fallout.  Your success still depend on putting the crosshairs on the target (as long as the gun is decently accurate, most pistols can't snipe!).  The focus of the game is shooting things with your friends and finding cool new guns/shield/mods! It's a diablo/WoW mechanic where the story fades into the background and you are just interested in big firefights.  I'm extremely excited about the game because of the co-op but I worry that as a single player experience it might be lacking.  We'll see how playing it for a day or two affects my opinion....

(Who am I kidding, as soon as I get to use my purple machine gun of awesomeness on some bandits the game gets two thumbs up from me!  ;D)    

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 01:54:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Oh and you're searching for "The Vault" in Borderlands.

I'm interested to see what the story expands to once the opening zone is finished.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I'm interested to see what the story expands to once the opening zone is finished.

From the reviews i've read, it really doesn't.

One Review described it as "diablo/mario party as a FPS" Which sounds pretty awesome. They gave it a high score, but mentioned that it's almost pointless to play single player.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Fallout 3 is the best "next gen" game I've seen so far, hands down. (by next gen I mean PS3/360 games)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

One Review described it as "diablo/mario party as a FPS" Which sounds pretty awesome. They gave it a high score, but mentioned that it's almost pointless to play single player.
More like WoW/Diablo with multiplayer. Similar quest structure, less silly games of timing.

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet

More like WoW/Diablo with multiplayer. Similar quest structure, less silly games of timing.

Unless you consider "shoot that bad guy in the head before my brother yells at me" a timing game!

Oh I almost forgot "dodge the accidently thrown gernade while you try to pickup loot"!  That may qualify as a minigame if you play with me  ;D :o ::)

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
No 3rd person viewpoint that I could find in either the manula or on the Borderlands website.  Sorry!

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Yeah I just checked online, other people with similar motion sickness said there was no 3rd person camera view.  :'(

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 09:18:38 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeah I just checked online, other people with similar motion sickness said there was no 3rd person camera view.  :'(

Man that sucks.  Thanks for checking for me though.  Enjoy your trials and tribulations in the Borderlands!!

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Played for around eight hours on my day off with my brother and friend. Great time with it all, the difficulty scales very well to having a bigger group. Definitely not easy!

Not a ton of story, just a goal with lots of quests and loot. So if you want a more traditional RPG like Oblivion/Fallout this isnt' for you. If Diablo + Shooter is up your alley two thumbs up.

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
Yep, it really reminds of WoW in many ways (quests and loot)but its a good fast paced shooter, with a lot of RPG elements.  Just remember you are really gear dependent, shields and weapons make a big difference to how difficult the game is.  It's a ton of fun running around with a couple friends!