Author Topic: Should we pursue Zoran Dragic?  (Read 3877 times)

Should we pursue Zoran Dragic?
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:34:23 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Why isn't Ainge kicking the tires on Zoran Dragic? If he's anything close to his brother, he would be a real bargain. Is it because Avery Bradley just signed a big deal? Is it because Ainge doesn't like international players?

This idea that we have a logjam at SG is laughable. We could easily trade Thornton and drop Babb and Johnson if necessary.

It might be too late anyway, because I would assume Phoenix has the inside track due to his bro already being there. They can trade Bledsoe and have Thomas, Dragic, and Dragic rotate between the two guard spots.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11498382/phoenix-suns-sacramento-kings-indiana-pacers-target-zoran-dragic-slovenia

Re: Should we pursue Zoran Dragic?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:45:35 AM »

fitzhickey

How is it easy to trade Thornton? He has a pretty large salary, and doesn't offer that much ability wise.

Also I find it odd that you think Phoenix would trade Bledsoe to play a relatively unproven Euro player. I know Bledsoe and Phoenix have had their issues, but Phoenix has the opportunity to field one of the strongest backcourt rotations. Not sure they'd just give that up.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:04:30 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
How is it easy to trade Thornton? He has a pretty large salary, and doesn't offer that much ability wise.

Also I find it odd that you think Phoenix would trade Bledsoe to play a relatively unproven Euro player. I know Bledsoe and Phoenix have had their issues, but Phoenix has the opportunity to field one of the strongest backcourt rotations. Not sure they'd just give that up.

I don't think Z. Dragic would be meant to "replace" Bledsoe, just that they did sign Isaiah Thomas and still have G. Dragic for at least a year so they wouldn't have a hole at the position if they lose Bledsoe. The thing is, he wants a max deal and it's clear from the stalemate Phoenix is not eager to give it to him. If they can get something for him and save that money for a potential G. Dragic re-sign next year, that might not be a bad way to go. Let's remember that Bledsoe is coming off a serious injury and hasn't shown great durability during his career.

Even though Thornton's deal is large, it only runs for one more year. I think the Celtics could make him a reserve, have him go home like Keith Bogans, or find a team under the cap to take his salary for a 2nd rounder or something. They could even deal it for another expiring of the same amount or a little less. If they want to get rid of him, I think they could without costing them a lot. Not that I'm necessarily advocating that, I was just making the point that they shouldn't be avoiding moves at the SG position just because they happen to have a bunch of mediocre players at the position right now, besides Bradley of course (who's not exactly a star either).

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
jiri welsch comes to mind. But I am going to watch some tapes of Z right now.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He can play. He reminds me of Brent Barry. Perhaps his ceiling is a bit capped due to his age though.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has some plays in the game vs. USA.   He is going to play with his brother in Phoenix, I read here.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/report-suns-negotiating-with-zoran-dragic-091214

I thought he played taller than he is during the game I watched.  Which is a nifty talent and shows he is crafty.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Zoran Dragic is Goran's "evil twin". He's not as talented as Goran, but he's a more annoying, smaller, better shooting and Slovenian Tyler Hansbrough. You just hate him when he plays against your team, but I'm not sure if you love him on your team.