Author Topic: Jokes, Puns, Sarcasm, Witticism & Other Bits of Fun  (Read 8706 times)

Jokes, Puns, Sarcasm, Witticism & Other Bits of Fun
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I've noticed quite a bit of mistaken humor lately, and it has been the start of some ill feelings between posters (when the initial intent was totally harmless).  I'm certainly as guilty as anyone of dipping in the humor well.  I just want to give a heads up to all of us would be humorists that many jokes are taken the wrong way. 

There are many reasons a joke can be taken the wrong way.
- language barrier
- differences in senses of humor
- sensitive issues
- inside jokes
- cultural differences
- or just a plain old "not funny" jokes
- lack of the ability to use inflection or physical attributes with your joke in a written format

Those are the ones I've come up with.  Fortunately we are armed with a full arsenal of emoticons to use (the smiley things  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( )  Some may not like to use things because they think they are goofy, but a little  ;D or  ;) would go a long way towards assuring your attempt at humor is received as just that.

Just some food for thought.  Mmmmmmmmm...food (see the humor there is a Homer Simpson based mmmmmmmmmmm joke.) I guess there's always the train of thought that a jokeis less funny if you have to explain it, but you see what I'm getting at.

Peace, love and smiley faces

Redz
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:04:11 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Jokes, Puns, Sarcasm, Witticism & Other Bits of Fun
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

A priest, A rabbi, a dumb blond, a man with a duck and a talking horse walk into a bar, the bartender looks up and says "What is this, some sort of joke?"

Get it - some sort of joke?  Priest and Rabbis walk into bars in a lot of jokes and so do blonds and so do talking horses and so do..........ah never mind! ;)

I got millions of them!

Don't forget to tip your waitresses!

no I'm serious, millions - don't stop me, I'm on a roll.

(In all seriousness - point well taken)
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
did that whole "redundant" saga earlier inspire this redz?

and sshorefan, second tp of the day for you lol.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
A horse goes into a bar and the bartender askes him," why the long face?"

Is that what we're talking about?

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:29:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

and sshorefan, second tp of the day for you lol.
Very partially.  It's something I've been thinking about. I'm not trying to lash out at any individual. It's just something I've noticed more of since becoming a Mod.  I think part of that may be because people have actually started taking me more seriously some times with that label under my name. 

It seems like a pretty avoidable issue (misconstrued jokes) if you add a lil'  ;) or something.   

Take it for the grain of salt it is.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Paul Pierce and LBJ both walk in to Crip territory in L.A........
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 02:37:14 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown

I can't let you go down alone -- I too had some recent misunderstood humor that should have been presented better.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I can't let you go down alone -- I too had some recent misunderstood humor that should have been presented better.

Same here.  I generally try to put the smiley, but at times, I feel as though my humor is so obvious that it's not necessary.  That doesn't always prove to be the case.

The other suggestion that I would make is, always feel free to clarify what another poster's intent was via PM.  With most of our posters, it's very likely that no offense was meant; it's a good group of fans here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
It seems like a pretty avoidable issue (misconstrued jokes) if you add a lil'  ;) or something.   

Maybe not all smileys are good, I don't know, some people might get more offended if you use the :-* smiley one. 

I'm still waiting for the day when I actually see it in a post.

(Or in an attempt to use more smileys) Maybe not all  :) are good,  ???, some people might get more  >:( if you use this :-*  :) one.  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Maybe not all smileys are good, I don't know, some people might get more offended if you use the :-* smiley one. 

I'm still waiting for the day when I actually see it in a post.

(Or in an attempt to use more smileys) Maybe not all  :) are good,  ???, some people might get more  >:( if you use this :-*  :) one.  ;)
;D
Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I've noticed quite a bit of mistaken humor lately, and it has been the start of some ill feelings between posters (when the initial intent was totally harmless).  I'm certainly as guilty as anyone of dipping in the humor well.  I just want to give a heads up to all of us would be humorists that many jokes are taken the wrong way. 

- language barrier
- sensitive issues
- inside jokes
- cultural differences
- lack of the ability to use inflection or physical attributes with your joke in a written format

Those are the ones I've come up with.  Fortunately we are armed with a full arsenal of emoticons to use (the smiley things  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( )  Some may not like to use things because they think they are goofy, but a little  ;D or  ;) would go a long way towards assuring your attempt at humor is received as just that.

Just some food for thought.  Mmmmmmmmm...food (see the humor there is a Homer Simpson based mmmmmmmmmmm joke.) I guess there's always the train of thought that a jokeis less funny if you have to explain it, but you see what I'm getting at.

Redz

Rulez  say  no more then 3 emoticons per post

Edited.

Don do this again.. >:(

....Seee.... sarcasm. :-X
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown

- language barrier
- sensitive issues
- inside jokes
- cultural differences

Redz

Rulez  say  no more then 3 emoticons per post

Edited.

Don do this again.. >:(

....Seee.... sarcasm. :-X

I think that this is a fair and balanced rule.   :P :-\

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 05:41:54 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Was it here I talked about KG turning into the hulk? (you know, because he's green...)
Maybe I'm just going crazy. Jokes are always good fun, but then again an aussie isn't really the right person to define fun :P

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 05:58:20 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Was it here I talked about KG turning into the hulk? (you know, because he's green...)
Maybe I'm just going crazy. Jokes are always good fun, but then again an aussie isn't really the right person to define fun :P

with this signs on toilets I will have to disagree.
thats funny ;)

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!