Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in trying to put a pickup game together?  (Read 15190 times)

Re: Would anyone be interested in trying to put a pickup game together?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Great idea. I'm 19 years old. I could dunk, drive to the basket, play D, and pass well. Not a very good shooter but I'll probably hit open jumpers. I use to play varsity for my high school but haven't played a pick up game in awhile so I'll probably be a little rusty. I talk a lot of smack during games, too. LOL
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I would be interested in this, and I live at least an hour away in the Portsmouth NH area!  I'm keeping my eyes on this thread.  Would be fun to play with you guys.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Definitely a great idea, and the type of thing I'd love to be a part of, but I'm afraid my NY location could make this  a bit difficult for me...ya never know though, I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Count me in. I live in Somerville. Sunday would be a great schedule if I wake up on time!

In all honesty, I would do it more for the community aspect since there are regular pickup games daily in my area and I'd probably be to lazy to travel to a game regularly on a Sunday morning. Still, I would definitely be up for the initial run.

Does anyone want to volunteer to referee so that other regulars can cry about missed calls? SexyScot?

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 01:50:45 AM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
Count me in too.  I would love to play!  I live in Newton now, but will be moving to Brookline in a few weeks, so I could make it to any court in the area. 

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Basketball City has 6 courts.  It costs $10 for a day rate.  I don't know if you guys are willing to pay $10 to play, but I think they have a good facility and some room to play. 

http://basketballcity.com/bbc.php?city=boston&page=sessionplay

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »

Offline chrismcc13

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
ya whoops sunday (tomorrow) no good cuz of mothers day. but any other sunday is great.  i'm only 23, my game's like ray/rondo not that anyone cares.  i'd like some older players to come play too

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
alright, well lets shoot for Sunday the 25th, gives us some time to plan, and avoids this sundays potential game seven.

Anyone in the Boston area got access to a court we could kind of take over? it wouldn't be as fun if we had to mix and match with a ton of people not from the blog.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:56:15 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:27 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
bump
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 12:40:53 PM »

Offline swebb87

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'm down. Just make it known, through PMs specifically, when it's going down.  8)

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I'd love to do this and have suggested it in the past.  Only problem is, though i'd love to run with you all, i'm just not going to get up early and drive into boston on a sunday (i live up on the morth shore) if i'm not sure what the turnout/competition will be like.  Especially when i can make the 10 minute drive to Latitudes and find at least a couple of dudes to run.

I don't know if this is even possible, but if Celticsblog could "sponsor" some type of game (random teams of 3 or 5) i think it would:

a) generate more interest
b) set the stage for future games (pickup or otherwise)

I think it would be pretty cool if we all threw in somewhere around $20 and had cash/merchandise prizes.  Celticsblog could probably take some of that money for themselves, some charity, or use it for something else.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
There is this one harvard gym right by my house that is pretty much always empty.  I don't think we can reserve it but everytime I go with my friends it is empty.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I'd love to do this and have suggested it in the past.  Only problem is, though i'd love to run with you all, i'm just not going to get up early and drive into boston on a sunday (i live up on the morth shore) if i'm not sure what the turnout/competition will be like.  Especially when i can make the 10 minute drive to Latitudes and find at least a couple of dudes to run.

I don't know if this is even possible, but if Celticsblog could "sponsor" some type of game (random teams of 3 or 5) i think it would:

I think it would be pretty cool if we all threw in somewhere around $20 and had cash/merchandise prizes.  Celticsblog could probably take some of that money for themselves, some charity, or use it for something else.

this would be awesome, i'd do it in a heartbeat. any thought on this higher ups? i'll pay to clang jumpers for charity anytime  ;D

with regards to the pick up game, i'll put a post up about best times sometime this week, mabey friday after work works better, or saterday, ect. we'll see. like i said, no way do i think we should try this on this sunday, with a potentail game 7 looming.

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

this would be awesome, i'd do it in a heartbeat. any thought on this higher ups? i'll pay to clang jumpers for charity anytime  ;D

with regards to the pick up game, i'll put a post up about best times sometime this week, mabey friday after work works better, or saterday, ect. we'll see. like i said, no way do i think we should try this on this sunday, with a potentail game 7 looming.

I'm not a "higher-up" merely an author...but if this was event that occurred some weekend in the summer, there's a possibility that I'd be able to make it up from New York, and if I'm able to, I'd certainly love to do it...sounds like a great idea!  :)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
I would be. If I weren't about 4500 miles away

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 03:45:44 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Count me in guys.  I live in Brighton and there are courts we could probably use here too.