Author Topic: John Havlicek  (Read 2976 times)

John Havlicek
« on: July 26, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Who would John Havlicek be in the modern NBA?
I am too young to have seen him play. All I have to go off of is Youtube videos and what's been written.
Are there any players like Havlicek in the NBA? Constant movement is something that's usually brought up. That he could've played for the WR for the Browns is another. It looks like he has 3 point range and favors pullups from the foul line and elbows. After watching I thought, this is why Tom Heinsohn always tells players to upfake. His upfake is deadly. He drove well. He looks to be almost Grant Hill's size.
Can I get firsthand testimonials before this forum is gone?
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

Re: John Havlicek
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
TP for this thread.
Hondo's game is secret to me.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
4th quarter Marcus Smart with a jump shot!

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I am too young to have seen him play. All I have to go off of is Youtube videos and what's been written.
Are there any players like Havlicek in the NBA? Constant movement is something that's usually brought up. That he could've played for the WR for the Browns is another. It looks like he has 3 point range and favors pullups from the foul line and elbows. After watching I thought, this is why Tom Heinsohn always tells players to upfake. His upfake is deadly. He drove well. He looks to be almost Grant Hill's size.

I watched him play but I was very young and didn’t understand the game much back then.  He was their go to scorer and was constantly outrunning the opposition.  He seemed to never get tired.  He had a great jump shot but he was an all around great player IMO.  He led those Celtics teams to the titles in the seventies. I watched him along side JoJo, Cowens, Chaney, Nelson and Silas used to come off the bench as 6th man.  It was a great team to watch.  And my man Hank Finkel was the back up center who played only when Cowens was in foul trouble.  Chaney was the Marcus Smart of that team.  He always played the other teams best guard. 

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:21:49 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If you've listened to Tommy Heinsohn talk about running basketball, you might get the idea. The 70's Celtics were built around a relentless running style, and Havlicek was the perfect star to make it work. Many of their fast breaks didn't need a single dribble.

They would have fit in perfectly in today's NBA. The guards were big and the front court was small. Cowens was a small ball center and Havlicek was a small ball wing. They were great defenders and had amazing rebounders and ran you into the ground. Almost all the offense came off picks and motion.

Havlicek had a very soft shot and always shot on the move. Almost never went iso, and still was a reliable high volume scorer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:32:32 PM by td450 »

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
A better defending Demar DeRozan with better range.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I watched him play but I was very young and didn’t understand the game much back then.  He was their go to scorer and was constantly outrunning the opposition.  He seemed to never get tired.  He had a great jump shot but he was an all around great player IMO.  He led those Celtics teams to the titles in the seventies. I watched him along side JoJo, Cowens, Chaney, Nelson and Silas used to come off the bench as 6th man.  It was a great team to watch.  And my man Hank Finkel was the back up center who played only when Cowens was in foul trouble.  Chaney was the Marcus Smart of that team.  He always played the other teams best guard.
He was a superb athlete in an era with very few, at least by today’s standards. Those Celtics teams would just run other teams off the court. I lived near NYC so was a Knicks fan in those days. Walt Frazier would bring it up slowly to try to bring the tempo down, lol.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:18:04 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Lol, Hondo wasn't exactly a choker in the postseason ::).

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:10:11 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

So basically a Kawhi Leonard?