Author Topic: All Time Celtic Squads  (Read 2280 times)

All Time Celtic Squads
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:21 AM »

Offline BdaBostonBum

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5
I was talking to a friend about an all time Celtic squad, and we decided we needed to break it into 3 teams. I figured I oughta just throw the list out here, and if anyone has a better idea please tell.  I am pretty sure I left some key guys out and didn't get all the natural positions right.

Criteria:

-At least 5 Yrs with the team (ie. KG, Silas, Walton, Bias and Baker are all out, but Reggie Lewis and Tiny are in. I am sorry Baker fans)
-Natural Postitions

1st team
PG-Cousy
SG-Sam Jones
SF-Bird
PF-McHale
C-Russel

2nd Team
PG-JoJo White
SG-Sharman
SF-Hondo
PF-Cowens
C-Parrish

3rd Team
PG-Tiny
SG- DJ
SF-Pierce
PF-Tommy
C-Ed Macauly

I wanna get Maxwell in here too, but I don't know where to fit him.  Also, I'm thinking Walker will probobly be somewhere on the 5th team.

Re: All Time Celtic Squads
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:25:34 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Could Pierce be considered a 2?  He has spent a lot of time in his career as a shooting guard, and I think he deserves a spot on the first team ahead of Sam Jones.  Since you have Cowens as a 4 (I think he played mostly the 5), and DJ as a 2 (he was mostly a 1), I think it's only fair that Pierce be considered a 2 to be on a higher team.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:26:49 AM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Good thread-I am too tired to look up stats to argue any of your picks, so I will just accept them

My questions for you are...

1. If you had a 12 or 13 man roster, who would you take from the third team you posted?

2. Here is a top ten team from the 76ers, how do you think these two teams match up?
(I think the espn did something like this a year or two ago with the fans voting the bulls all-time team beating the celtics all time team. I think the lakers won it all. silliness.)

First-Team
Guard: Allen Iverson
Guard: Maurice Cheeks
Center: Wilt Chamberlain
Forward: Charles Barkley
Forward: Julius Erving

Second-Team
Guard: Hal Greer
Guard: Andrew Toney
Center: Moses Malone
Forward: Bobby Jones
Forward: Billy Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:33:16 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I was talking to a friend about an all time Celtic squad, and we decided we needed to break it into 3 teams. I figured I oughta just throw the list out here, and if anyone has a better idea please tell.  I am pretty sure I left some key guys out and didn't get all the natural positions right.

Criteria:

-At least 5 Yrs with the team (ie. KG, Silas, Walton, Bias and Baker are all out, but Reggie Lewis and Tiny are in. I am sorry Baker fans)
-Natural Postitions

1st team
PG-Cousy
SG-Sam Jones
SF-Bird
PF-McHale
C-Russel

2nd Team
PG-JoJo White
SG-Sharman
SF-Hondo
PF-Cowens
C-Parrish

3rd Team
PG-Tiny
SG- DJ
SF-Pierce
PF-Tommy
C-Ed Macauly

I wanna get Maxwell in here too, but I don't know where to fit him.  Also, I'm thinking Walker will probobly be somewhere on the 5th team.

C: Russell
PF: McHale
SF: Bird
SG: Havlicek
PG: Cousy

C: Cowens
PF: Heinsohn
SF: Pierce
SG: Sam Jones
PG: DJ

C: Parish
PF: Macauley
SF: Reggie
SG: Sharman
PG: JoJo White

Looks like we agreed on 14 of the 15 players.  I added Reggie instead of Tiny.

Toughest calls were third string point guard (Tiny was probably better as a player, but JoJo is a greater Celtic) and third string power forward (I chose to play Cowens at his actual position of center on the second team, making it necessary to play Macauley out of position on the third squad.  I figured that was a better option than adding Antoine to the team.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:40:50 AM »

Offline BdaBostonBum

• Payton Pritchard
Could Pierce be considered a 2?  He has spent a lot of time in his career as a shooting guard, and I think he deserves a spot on the first team ahead of Sam Jones.  Since you have Cowens as a 4 (I think he played mostly the 5), and DJ as a 2 (he was mostly a 1), I think it's only fair that Pierce be considered a 2 to be on a higher team.

The way I decided on what position a player plays was according to how bball reference labels them.  I also figure for cohesiveness I wanted Pierce and DJ playing where they won championships for us.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:55:53 AM »

Offline BdaBostonBum

• Payton Pritchard
Good thread-I am too tired to look up stats to argue any of your picks, so I will just accept them

My questions for you are...

1. If you had a 12 or 13 man roster, who would you take from the third team you posted?

2. Here is a top ten team from the 76ers, how do you think these two teams match up?
(I think the espn did something like this a year or two ago with the fans voting the bulls all-time team beating the celtics all time team. I think the lakers won it all. silliness.)

First-Team
Guard: Allen Iverson
Guard: Maurice Cheeks
Center: Wilt Chamberlain
Forward: Charles Barkley
Forward: Julius Erving

Second-Team
Guard: Hal Greer
Guard: Andrew Toney
Center: Moses Malone
Forward: Bobby Jones
Forward: Billy Cunningham

That's a hell of a 6ers team.  The 6ers 1st team could def go up against our 1st team.  The truth is though, Mo Cheeks is gonna have to feed a bunch of egos.  You got one guy who scored 100 points a game, then you got another guy who was, when with the 6ers, a tremendous ball hog, and finally you have the Dr and the Round Mound.  A lot of ego.  Also I think the Cs got a far better defensive 1st team. It'd definitely be a battle though.