Author Topic: Posey chooses free agency over C’s (reaction to Boston Herald Article)  (Read 3107 times)

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_07_01_Posey_chooses_free_agency_over_C_s/srvc=home&position=1

Is that a deceptive headline by the Herald or what?  Is he really choosing free agency over the C's?  Everyone knew this was coming and that the Celtics were prepared to make him some type of offer, his opting out in no way is a statement of him not choosing the C's.  This was all about him bettering his own opportunity, whether it is here or elsewhere.  Even if Posey turns us down for bigger money elsewhere, you can be sure that our offer will be more than what the option was, so this really was a no-brainer for him. 

Let's all hope he ultimately does choose the C's, he was so huge for us all year, especially in the playoffs, the steal against Detroit, the big 3's in the Game 4 comeback at LA, many, many clutch free throws not to mention his lock down defense.  While I am sure the Celts will still be very good and have a good record next year even if he does leave, come crunch time in the playoffs, we will really miss Big Game James. That is primarily why so many teams looking to get over the top are interested in him.

Changed the topic headline and added a link to distinguish the thread
-IP

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:52:50 AM by IndeedProceed »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think that article's title is extremely misleading. anyone with any knowledge about what the deal was with posey or anyone who appreciated how much of a pay cut he took to come here obviously knows better.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Very misleading, but how do you attract readers to what is essentially not a story? You fan flames with a misleading headline!
Now, on to 18...

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
do we really expect anything less than misleading stories out of the tabloid of boston sports?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The story itself is fairly benign and repetitive with what we already knew. Besides, everyone knew when he signed the contract that he'd be opting out after one year. It's not like this wasn't something that wasn't known last year.

Offline BKDomer

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Check the Globe - it has actual quotes and first hand sources. 

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
You know...Selling newspapers(or something) is what they're trying to do here.   This "headline" was guaranteed to attract viewers...just as if someone put up ANY headline involving AW(for better or for worse)....

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I'm sure this was anticipated when they signed Posey last year. I think he'll return for terms fair to himself and to the Celtics. I'm sure they knew last year what they could pay him this year and Posey going as a free agent is just a technical way for him to opt-out and sign for more this year. He'll probably talk to other teams, but I just can't see him wanting to go elsewhere. This is a great situation for any player. Just hope I'm right.

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I just read that headline on the Daily Links and this is the first thing that came to my mind.  I didn't even bother reading it.  What a dumb headline.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."