Author Topic: Is DAnny making a qualifying offer to Tony tonight or not??  (Read 19596 times)

Re: Is DAnny making a qualifying offer to Tony tonight or not??
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 02:14:47 AM »

Offline Montrossity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
It doesnt look like we signed him, and honestly I think that's for the better.  While he was a well above average defender and while he had flashes of offensive prowess, he wasnt consistent enough overall and ever since his injury, he has seemed sort of apprehensive under the net. 

As the playoffs demonstrated, the Celts just dont need him anymore.  For the money he would cost to retain, Im sure there are more competent and reliable vets willing to come for less just to play with a championship team. 

That all being said, I like the guy and wish him the best wherever he winds up.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 02:23:31 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
So, they didn't make a qualifying offer, making him unrestricted. However, we can still sign him without using the MLE.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 02:34:18 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
It doesnt look like we signed him, and honestly I think that's for the better.  While he was a well above average defender and while he had flashes of offensive prowess, he wasnt consistent enough overall and ever since his injury, he has seemed sort of apprehensive under the net. 

As the playoffs demonstrated, the Celts just dont need him anymore.  For the money he would cost to retain, Im sure there are more competent and reliable vets willing to come for less just to play with a championship team. 

That all being said, I like the guy and wish him the best wherever he winds up.

We would not have been signing him by midnight, merely making a qualified offer to him which would allow the C's to match any offer from another team.  If they did not make the offer, he is unrestricted and can sign with any team for whatever amount, including the Celtics.  Not offering him does not necessarily mean they don't want him at all, just not at what that amount would have been.  It could be they do want him, but don't think anyone would give him even as much as the qualifying offer, so setting him free may not really bring much TA's way and the C's could bring him back cheap.  I think this is good news in terms of signing Posey as they do not want to tie up any guaranteed money now, and will only consider signing TA, if it can be at their price whereas they may have to overpay a bit to keep Posey.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 03:21:42 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
if things go south with posey they could bring tony back for much less. according to his agent posey wants at least 4 yrs around 6 mil and i have trouble believing we shell that out and for that many years for posey even as good as hes been. if not that opens the door right back up for tony to resign a 1-2 yrs deal maybe on the cheap.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 03:49:31 AM »

Offline Roper

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I would pay Posey whatever the hell he wants... not only would we not be champs without him... we wouldnt have even made it to the finals

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 05:07:09 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I would pay Posey whatever the hell he wants... not only would we not be champs without him... we wouldnt have even made it to the finals

absolutely agree 100%. but hen again, what does that have to do with the next few years down the line? how do we know what dany wants to do with the big 3 in 2 yrs when the first of them has his deal expire? how does danny know what THEY want to do. it seems foolish to commit several years of salary to a role player now when you arent certain what the makeup of this team is gonna look like 3 seasons later.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:12 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Tony Allen is a great fail-safe for Posey if he leaves. Tough not to make that qualifying offer, Danny should make it.

Personally, I hope he doesn't. 

Tony Allen is overrated by many on this board.  I like his defense and his athleticism, but his turnover rate and low basketball IQ is the spitting image of the type of player that gets overpaid in free agency.

I'd rather pursue Michael Peitrus, Corey Maggette, or Josh Childress as a fail safe for Posey with Eddie House getting a little raise via non Bird Rights to keep the LLE.

Ditto, like Gerald Green. Time to move on from Tony Allen.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Tony Allen is a great fail-safe for Posey if he leaves. Tough not to make that qualifying offer, Danny should make it.

Tony Allen is overrated by many on this board.  I like his defense and his athleticism, but his turnover rate and low basketball IQ is the spitting image of the type of player that gets overpaid in free agency.

I'd rather pursue Michael Peitrus, Corey Maggette, or Josh Childress as a fail safe for Posey with Eddie House getting a little raise via non Bird Rights to keep the LLE.

And rely on Giddens? Do we truely want to rely solely on a rookie as the back-up SG? What makes us all think that Giddens won't have the same dribbling problems Tony had, in fact, even more? Why the sudden relief to get Gidden so that we can get rid of Tony? I'll say it again, he shouldn't be the replacement of Tony... somebody else should, Giddens should be an addition to this person or an addition to Tony.

Too many here are basing their opinions too much on a year of recovery (funny how many didn't expect anything from him last year prior to the season, and then were disapointed in the way he played), a year we he played a ton out of position a position that he had rarely played prior to the season, a position that uses very little of his strengths and magnifies his weaknesses... did you guys really expect for him to perform any better than he did?

I'll say this, he was quite good through the playoffs, in my opinion, in the short stretches that we used him. Nothing spectacular, but usable. From what I remember he only looked bad against Detroit and it was because he had trouble chasing Hamilton around... but that's simply a tough assignment for anyone, Posey looked like a rookie trying to defend him too. Pruitt could be the answer to him. But other than that, he was quite solid in his short minutes off the bench through the playoffs.

And when I start considering how his turnover rate more than doubled when he played PG over SG, it tells me that we're unfairly judging him upon a performance that is a bit irrelevant to his value to play his real position.

I hope that our confidence in Pruitt is warranted, he's the X factor here to me... but we shouldn't be content with just keeping Giddens, even if we simply are able to bring back House and Posey. One injury to one of our wings or guards, and there'll be cause for concern... Tony could've alleviated that. He's affordable, and most importantly, we could've had him as opposed to many of the players we all like in the free-agency.

Hopefully, for me, this just all means that Danny wants to get him for cheaper.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 08:46:45 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

And rely on Giddens? Do we truely want to rely solely on a rookie as the back-up SG? What makes us all think that Giddens won't have the same dribbling problems Tony had, in fact, even more? Why the sudden relief to get Gidden so that we can get rid of Tony? I'll say it again, he shouldn't be the replacement of Tony... somebody else should, Giddens should be an addition to this person or an addition to Tony.

Too many here are basing their opinions too much on a year of recovery (funny how many didn't expect anything from him last year prior to the season, and then were disapointed in the way he played), a year we he played a ton out of position a position that he had rarely played prior to the season, a position that uses very little of his strengths and magnifies his weaknesses... did you guys really expect for him to perform any better than he did?

I'll say this, he was quite good through the playoffs, in my opinion, in the short stretches that we used him. Nothing spectacular, but usable. From what I remember he only looked bad against Detroit and it was because he had trouble chasing Hamilton around... but that's simply a tough assignment for anyone, Posey looked like a rookie trying to defend him too. Pruitt could be the answer to him. But other than that, he was quite solid in his short minutes off the bench through the playoffs.

And when I start considering how his turnover rate more than doubled when he played PG over SG, it tells me that we're unfairly judging him upon a performance that is a bit irrelevant to his value to play his real position.

I hope that our confidence in Pruitt is warranted, he's the X factor here to me... but we shouldn't be content with just keeping Giddens, even if we simply are able to bring back House and Posey. One injury to one of our wings or guards, and there'll be cause for concern... Tony could've alleviated that. He's affordable, and most importantly, we could've had him as opposed to many of the players we all like in the free-agency.

I agree.  I hope Danny re-signs Tony for cheap. I'm really not comfortable counting on rookies to contribute to a championship team.  Giddens might contribute, but I wouldn't count on it. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 09:24:46 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I agree.  I hope Danny re-signs Tony for cheap. I'm really not comfortable counting on rookies to contribute to a championship team.  Giddens might contribute, but I wouldn't count on it. 

Seeing as he played himself right out of the rotation last year, I wouldn't say his minutes would be that hard to replace! Even by a rookie. It is kind of funny how the longer it has gone since he got decent minutes, the better people seem to remember him being. Kind of like that old girlfriend in high school. She gets hotter and hotter each time you tell the story...

Facts are that TA can't dribble, can't shoot from the outside, can't finish on the break, turns the ball over very frequently, charges constantly, and has terrible basketball IQ. How is a rookie going to be worse than that?!

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Seeing as he played himself right out of the rotation last year, I wouldn't say his minutes would be that hard to replace! Even by a rookie. It is kind of funny how the longer it has gone since he got decent minutes, the better people seem to remember him being. Kind of like that old girlfriend in high school. She gets hotter and hotter each time you tell the story...

Facts are that TA can't dribble, can't shoot from the outside, can't finish on the break, turns the ball over very frequently, charges constantly, and has terrible basketball IQ. How is a rookie going to be worse than that?!

I agree.  Assuming that we re-sign Posey, Allen has no role on this team with Giddens here now.  Furthermore, shooting guard is probably the easiest role in the NBA to fill.  If Ainge really feels he needs to pick someone up, it won't be hard to pick up someone half decent to replace Allen. 

If he was really key to a title, he would have contributed more to the one last year. 

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
There is probably little to no demand for TA on the FA Market. I'm sure TA would rather sign here for the minimum then go to a new organization for a little more money. Tony Allen wasnt able to contribute a lot this season so I can almost guarantee no other team will take a chance on him.

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 09:35:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree.  I hope Danny re-signs Tony for cheap. I'm really not comfortable counting on rookies to contribute to a championship team.  Giddens might contribute, but I wouldn't count on it. 
Exactly how much did Tony Allen contribute to this team winning a championship this year? Remove Tony from last year's equation and the Celtics in all probability still win 66 games or at the very least 64 games and still win the championship in the same amount of postseason games.

I have no problem turning over the responsibilities Tony Allen contributed to this team last year over to a rookie to see if he can match or exceed those accomplishments. Because quite honestly, those accomplishments didn't go a long way towards putting the Celtics in the championship Rolling Rally they had.

If Giddens falls flat on his face we have still saved the team millions of dollars and probably are exactly where we would have been if Tony was still on the team.

Come on guys, we are talking about the 6th or 7th man off the bench after House, Posey, Baby, Powe, Pollard and in Pollard's place later on Cassell and Brown.

If Tony had never been hurt he may have been already signed long term and a part of this team with very special skills. But his injuries ended his chances of coming back here. It's unfortunate because his injuries never allowed him the time he needed to grow his game. He was always playing catch up.

The Celtics in the luxury tax area don't have the time to continue to be patient with him any longer. It's better business to invest less money in a rookie that has a higher potential return on the investment at this point. Especially a guy that at best will be a 10th or 11th man on the roster.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
EJ, I think you are being overly negative in your assessment of Tony's skills. Let us not forget that he was in a recovery year following serious surgery on his knee. The medical consensus is that it is not until the second year that a player can realistically expect to have a full recovery. Tony's previous knee surgery, not nearly as serious, took a long time for him to get back to full strength, but when he did, wow.  He was a very effective scorer for us when Paul went down the season before. And part of his repertoire was the ability to consistently hit the outside shot, and do pretty well from the foul line. Don't recall the actual stats. Just know this: Right before his injury, he was as valuable to the team as Al Jefferson. It was Al and Tony and then everyone else (since Pierce was out). Now how does a guy who was developing into a really sound starting two guard, who could slash with the best of them (quicker than Pierce), consistently hit the open J (including 3 point range) and was a top defender, turn into a worthless player only a year later?  Don't you think the knee injury had something to do with it?  I owuld not be surprised to see a GM who knows Tony's abilities (Chris Wallace? Mitch Kupchak? Larry Bird?) pay this guy, understanding that he can start, and can play. I understand Danny's decision making here--need to focus on Posey-- but I for one think Tony Allen has yet to play his best basketball.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 09:45:07 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I agree.  I hope Danny re-signs Tony for cheap. I'm really not comfortable counting on rookies to contribute to a championship team.  Giddens might contribute, but I wouldn't count on it. 
Exactly how much did Tony Allen contribute to this team winning a championship this year? Remove Tony from last year's equation and the Celtics in all probability still win 66 games or at the very least 64 games and still win the championship in the same amount of postseason games.

I have no problem turning over the responsibilities Tony Allen contributed to this team last year over to a rookie to see if he can match or exceed those accomplishments. Because quite honestly, those accomplishments didn't go a long way towards putting the Celtics in the championship Rolling Rally they had.

If Giddens falls flat on his face we have still saved the team millions of dollars and probably are exactly where we would have been if Tony was still on the team.

Come on guys, we are talking about the 6th or 7th man off the bench after House, Posey, Baby, Powe, Pollard and in Pollard's place later on Cassell and Brown.

If Tony had never been hurt he may have been already signed long term and a part of this team with very special skills. But his injuries ended his chances of coming back here. It's unfortunate because his injuries never allowed him the time he needed to grow his game. He was always playing catch up.

The Celtics in the luxury tax area don't have the time to continue to be patient with him any longer. It's better business to invest less money in a rookie that has a higher potential return on the investment at this point. Especially a guy that at best will be a 10th or 11th man on the roster.

The thing is that I could care less about the business side of it because it really doesn't concern the ability to add players to our team. It only concerns the owners pocket and their willingness, but people have little control over that... I'm interested in putting the best team together that's possible. Do I understand the owner's position? Sure. But it doesn't mean it is the right decision as far as the roster is concerned.

His value is not in the post season, his value is in the season and as insurance during the playoffs. The thing is that Giddens can't take over the responsabilities of Tony, he simply can't because Tony was forced to play pointguard at times through the season. Do you guys really envision Giddens doing that?

And I've said it before, keeping Tony in addition to Giddens is the could be the key of running an effective small ball line-up in my opinion.

The fact that you guys are taking for granted to is that our team was very fortunate to be healthy through most of the season and during the playoffs. We can't take that for granted... it would be a big mistake.