Author Topic: Anyone else have a terrible feeling that Posey is going to end up in Laker Gold?  (Read 20696 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Posey, IMO, will get the MLE from someone.  It only takes one team and I wouldn't bet against one of the Celtics primary competitors swooping in to get an improvement coupled with weakening the Celtics overall.  Posey is a hell of a player.   Ultimately, I believe the question is the number of years that someone will offer within the MLE.  Also, I also wouldn't underestimate Posey's worth over the next 2 to 3 years if we want to continue to be a championship type team.

Sure, we could probably replace him with a Ryan Gomes type ... but that is a major downgrade in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if the Celtics didn't offer Posey a 3 year MLE deal that corresponds with Pierce going off the books.

So what position do we target with the LLE?
Gotta be backup PG or backup C, unless of course that crafty genius Danny Ainge can get someone to do it for the vet min.

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I just want to wake up tomorrow and hear 'Posey has resigned with the Celtics'

Then let's look at what options are left to fill the rest of the roster. 

i don't think this is possible is it? don't you have to wait till the 7th to sign people?

here's hoping im wrong and your right, would make my day  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

i don't think this is possible is it? don't you have to wait till the 7th to sign people?

That's the first day contracts can be signed. 

But the deal can be agreed upon starting at 12:01 AM

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

ah, i see.

odd that, you would think they'd just let them sign if the deals done.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

ah, i see.

odd that, you would think they'd just let them sign if the deals done.

They do it because the salary cap, luxury tax, Mid-level exception, max contracts, and certain other salary exceptions are tied into league revenues, etc.  The league has a "July moratorium" every year to figure out the amount of these exceptions.  The luxury tax and salary cap for next season will be announced either on July 7 or July 8, with signings beginning on the 8th.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
8 percent increase?? how about pierce. He is at 15 million next and the year after at like 17 and next 19 next 21. I don't think thats an 8 percent increase

why can you backload his contract but not poseys?? Nba rules are retarded, as long as in the end you pay the guy the full deal i think it should be ok

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
8 percent increase?? how about pierce. He is at 15 million next and the year after at like 17 and next 19 next 21. I don't think thats an 8 percent increase

why can you backload his contract but not poseys?? Nba rules are retarded, as long as in the end you pay the guy the full deal i think it should be ok

You can sign your own guys to a 10.5% increase, so long as you have Bird rights to them. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

You can sign your own guys to a 10.5% increase, so long as you have Bird rights to them. 

And I think, I think, players with MAX type of contracts operate under different rules... I might be mistaken in this though.

But the numbers are quite close to the 10.5% raise figure.

Edit: Scratch that, I was making stuff up apparently. Yep, I was making stuff up... I just had an epiphany about contracts that cleared up a lot of things I didn't understood correctly for quite a bit.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:41:19 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think Posey will be back.

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I've got the feeling. But I hope Posey follows his love for the game and not so much the dollar signs although I feel he deserves his guap.