Author Topic: Signing Posey to a 5 year long non-bird Rights Contract  (Read 22146 times)

Re: Signing Posey to a 5 year long non-bird Rights Contract
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I think Danny needs to decide how long he wants to try to win with some semblance of the Big Three.  Is he going to try to re-sign Allen and Pierce to stick around through the end of Garnett's deal?  If that's the case, maybe re-signing Posey to stick around through the end of that isn't such a bad idea.  Assuming Wyc and Co. are willing to pay the big bucks, ultimately it doesn't matter how much, because as long as the Big Three are around, there will be no cap room. 

A five-year non-bird contract will in no way effect the maneuverability of this team in year five.

My best guess:
The big three will be replaced one at a time with Ray Allen’s expiring contract the first to be traded followed A Paul Pierce pay cut and an expiring KG traded off.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hollinger on Posey and the MLE

Brian (Littleton): Is a team really gonna go 4 or 5 years at the full MLE for Posey? Seems kinda steep for a bench guy - although I guess he'd start in LA since they're small forwards are made of marshmellow.

SportsNation John Hollinger: (3:28 PM ET ) I think Posey will end up being this year's biggest free agent mistake (if Udrih isn't). Midlevel is way too much for a player of his caliber, and four or five years is ridiculous for a 31-year-old role player.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21307

I agree that 4 and 5 years are to much.   But I can see him fitting well with the MLE at three years.

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2008, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Brian (Littleton): Is a team really gonna go 4 or 5 years at the full MLE for Posey? Seems kinda steep for a bench guy - although I guess he'd start in LA since they're small forwards are made of marshmellow.

SportsNation John Hollinger: (3:28 PM ET ) I think Posey will end up being this year's biggest free agent mistake (if Udrih isn't). Midlevel is way too much for a player of his caliber, and four or five years is ridiculous for a 31-year-old role player.

I agree that 4 and 5 years are to much.   But I can see him fitting well with the MLE at three years.

He's a mistake if you're the Sixers, Wizards, or even the Pistons (who I think are on the decline) and you think he's going to get you off the top.  I don't think he's a mistake for the C's, Lakers, Cavs, Spurs, Jazz, or Hornets.  It's thinking like Hollinger's that makes teams like the Mavs, Warrior, Lakers, and Suns think that good offense can beat good defense when it rarely ever happens. 

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

He's a mistake if you're the Sixers, Wizards, or even the Pistons (who I think are on the decline) and you think he's going to get you off the top.  I don't think he's a mistake for the C's, Lakers, Cavs, Spurs, Jazz, or Hornets.  It's thinking like Hollinger's that makes teams like the Mavs, Warrior, Lakers, and Suns think that good offense can beat good defense when it rarely ever happens. 

Yeps, Posey's PER and opp. PER are not that good. Hollinger is blind to intangibles and semi-blind to defense. But 4 or 5 years is a mistake, with that I agree.

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Yeps, Posey's PER and opp. PER are not that good. Hollinger is blind to intangibles and semi-blind to defense. But 4 or 5 years is a mistake, with that I agree.

I only semi-agree with that.  If Ainge plans on holding on to Pierce and Allen through the end of Garnett's contract, I have no problem with him bringing Posey along for the ride.  It's not like they'll ever be able to get significantly below the cap as long as those three are around.

Now if he plans on trading Allen and/or Pierce off before Garnett's deal is done, that's another matter. 

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think it's just that Hollinger like PER and offense over defense. Posey at 31, who's a good role player but clearly a reserve, would be signing a bigger (and possibly longer) contract that he signed when he was 26, had always been a starter, and was expected to be a starter for the life of that deal. There's no way Posey from age 32-36 is as valuable as Posey from 26-30. The lack of decent players on the market might dictate that he'll get the money, but I doubt that any GM will be thrilled when he's got a 33 year old Posey for 3 more years and $20M more.

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2008, 04:51:16 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I guess I'm just an NBA know-nothing, but I deliberately choose not to learn all the salary cap and trade rules.
 But having just read that Gilbert Arenas is going to make 120 million over five years(might have been six, don't remember) how is James Posey not worth at least 25 million over five years? Or four even.
Flashiness and star quality aside, isn't Posey at least 1/4 as valuable a player as Arenas?
Kind of a rhetorical question, since I obviously think Posey is a true "difference maker" and winner.
BTW, didn't the Wizards do as well without Arenas as they did with him? Could be wrong about that, and I think he's a great player, but my point is- Just pay Posey!