Author Topic: Signing Posey to a 5 year long non-bird Rights Contract  (Read 22200 times)

Re: Signing Posey to a 5 year long non-bird Rights Contract
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2008, 06:46:37 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i don't really understand the full economics of the nba with all the exceptions and all but will someone explain to me the concept of why its called a larry bird contract? or everything is bird-whatever? i just want to know a little history.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2008, 06:49:42 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bookmark the link:

EARLY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is a weaker form of the Larry Bird exception, and is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception.  Players who qualify for this exception are called "Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA.  A player qualifies for this exception after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team may re-sign its own free agent for 175% of his salary the previous season or the average player salary, whichever is greater (see question number 24 for the definition of "average salary."  Also note that for 2005-06 they used a defined figure of $5 million).  Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons (which limits this exception's usefulness -- it's often better to take a lower salary for one more season and then have the full Bird exception available the next season) and no longer than five seasons.  A player can receive raises up to 10.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract using this exception.

If the player was a first round draft pick and just completed the second year of his rookie scale contract, but his team did not exercise their option to extend the contract for the third season (see question number 38), then this exception cannot be used to give him a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised their third year option.  In other words, teams can't decline the option in order to get around the salary scale and give the player more money.

If the player is a restricted free agent with two years of service and receives an offer sheet from a new team, the player's prior team may use the Early Bird exception to match the offer sheet (see question number 36 for restricted free agency).

Starting January 10 of each season, this exception begins to reduce in value.  See question number 20 for details.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
i don't really understand the full economics of the nba with all the exceptions and all but will someone explain to me the concept of why its called a larry bird contract? or everything is bird-whatever? i just want to know a little history.

In 1984, the NBA restructured its collective bargaining agreement to institute a salary cap, but to allow teams to go over that cap to resign their own free agents.  This was due in part to fears that teams like the Celtics and Lakers wouldn't be able to keep their stars.

The first player to be resigned using this exception was, of course, Larry Bird.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Can we use non-Bird rights to resign any player? If we use the non-birds rights max to resign Posey, can we still sign House to a non-Bird rights deal?

I believe we can use the non-Bird rights on both of them.

I hope Posey signs a one-year non-Bird right contract.

Why he does it:

1) He gets a raise.
2) He could make more money in the long run by being signed with Bird Rights.

Great scenario, but I'm afraid it's extreme wishful thinking. Posey can get a bigger raise and more security than that. Why should he risk an injury, a quick decline, etc? If he wanted to do that, he would have exercised his option.

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm not getting something, but I'm reading "  A player qualifies for this exception after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent." How does Posey qualify for this?

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm not getting something, but I'm reading "  A player qualifies for this exception after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent." How does Posey qualify for this?

That's the "Early Bird" exception.  Posey doesn't qualify for that, but I guess he would if he signed a one-year contract here.

He does qualify for the "Non-Bird" increase.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »

Offline RIBOY

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
C's have to sign him, I HOPE, with FO tempered with just stopping short, regarding the payroll expenses/bad contracts of maintaining long term playoff team, , for what he wants and mostly, deserves via market, the team inks him to a very good 3 year deal/(perks for playoffs?)and use the Agent negotiation right FO tact about how JP is so instrumental in going for two in a row. It is hard to grasp the unique type of FA Posey is, so all styles of offers will now be on his plate. He is rarest of rare commodoties, not always measurable stat-wise and full of intangibles, except the obvious D he can play.  Sorry for on and on, but real glad to be surrounded by a sea of green C's peeps as some blogs just bash our storied franchises/city. MY First post. Thanks and pray for Sir Posey in Green until 35/36 yrs. old and two more titles.

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Can we use non-Bird rights to resign any player? If we use the non-birds rights max to resign Posey, can we still sign House to a non-Bird rights deal?

I believe we can use the non-Bird rights on both of them.

I hope Posey signs a one-year non-Bird right contract.

Why he does it:

1) He gets a raise.
2) He could make more money in the long run by being signed with Bird Rights.

Great scenario, but I'm afraid it's extreme wishful thinking. Posey can get a bigger raise and more security than that. Why should he risk an injury, a quick decline, etc? If he wanted to do that, he would have exercised his option.

Well, he'd earn 400,000 more than he would've with his option. But I agree with your points. More than earning more now, I think the main issue is job security (money security). Remember, the Celtics are also offering him a championship ring :P.

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Well, he'd earn 400,000 more than he would've with his option. But I agree with your points. More than earning more now, I think the main issue is job security (money security). Remember, the Celtics are also offering him a championship ring :P.

I am starting to believe that House is the better option with the non bird exception. 

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I am starting to believe that House is the better option with the non bird exception. 

We can try to sign both with the non-Bird exception. House is probably the only one who would accept it though.

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2008, 11:41:08 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Yeah. Not a big market for House.

I notice everyone is jumping on the Posey bandwagon. I am also on the Posey bandwagon. Hopefully we won't see a rapid decline in his play over the next few years. Then the anti-Posey bandwagon would be crowded.

So long as we can sign Posey to MLE this year, but not have it count against MLE the years after, no problem. It's not my money anyway.

I hope Posey practices layups this offseason. He is very erratic finishing, and doesn't seem to take it seriously in layup lines. Fortunatly, he is good at jumping into people for fouls to compensate for poor finishing skills.

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2008, 01:55:29 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
considering the investment we just made on the wing. considering what doc and danny seem to believe about giddens' ability to contribute sooner than later(granted he is a 30 pick), how much do you invest in posey? rays contract runs out in 2 yrs. do you want poseys deal running any longer than that? before you know if youll recommit to him? maybe the kids are ready for more minutes by then.

but heres the kicker: would posey resign for just 2 yrs though? even if you gave him a team option 3rd?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2008, 03:04:14 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
according to todays herald hes looking for 4-5 years worth around 6. can we really do that? a 4 year deal would take him past after paul comes off the books. this team has a decision to make when rays deal is up. unless youre sure you dont plan to resign him, how can you extend posey beyond that point? when rays up thats  when we have to decide what direction were going in. are we breaking up the big 3 after that or not? what kind of player is ray gonna be in 2 years? would he accept a bench role to stay here? many questions. unless danny knows what hes doing with ray in 2 years how do you not sign him only til rays deal is up so you can evaluate what the status of the team is from a big 3 standpoint?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2008, 08:38:06 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Couple of points:

1. In no way should Giddens be considered a replacement for Posey, or Walker, for that matter. I realize the tendency to over-hyperbolize the ability of rookies on the Internet, but they are rookies, and neither will so much as approach Posey's value to a championship contender for years - probably the life of Pierce's contract, if then.

2. You overpay for Posey if you must because we are playing with a short window to win a title with Garnett, Allen and Pierce - and one title does not in any way close that window. If I understand the MLE and Bird rights, we can get close to what Posey wants and if that's true, we should do it, preferably over four years. No questions asked. The deal isn't a budget breaker.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think Danny needs to decide how long he wants to try to win with some semblance of the Big Three.  Is he going to try to re-sign Allen and Pierce to stick around through the end of Garnett's deal?  If that's the case, maybe re-signing Posey to stick around through the end of that isn't such a bad idea.  Assuming Wyc and Co. are willing to pay the big bucks, ultimately it doesn't matter how much, because as long as the Big Three are around, there will be no cap room.