Author Topic: Signing Posey to a 5 year long non-bird Rights Contract  (Read 22132 times)

Re: Signing Posey to a 5 year long non-bird Rights Contract
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There are a couple of teams that could use Posey, that could be near contention, and that will be enough under the cap that they could give Posey a rather large 3 or 4 year deal.  The Sixers, Bulls, Warriors, and Wizards for example. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2008, 05:43:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There are a couple of teams that could use Posey, that could be near contention, and that will be enough under the cap that they could give Posey a rather large 3 or 4 year deal.  The Sixers, Bulls, Warriors, and Wizards for example. 

The Bulls, Warriors, and Wizards aren't going to use their room on Posey.  That's going to go towards locking up their own free agents (Deng, Gordon, Biedrins, Ellis, Jamison, and Arenas) long term.

The Sixers do have space, but I think they can find a better option than Posey.  They've talked about Elton Brand if he opts out.

Plus, why would anybody want to pay Posey more than $6 - $7 million or so per year (averaged out on the MLE)?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 05:49:13 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Do whatever it takes to keep Posey here for the next 3 years.  End of story.  Without him, no championship.  No need to look past 3 years down the road, there is a relatively short window with the big 3, and we should keep this championship team together as much as possible.  Posey is part of the core of this championship team, it's not like we're talking about guys who were role players like Brown, Cassell, and Davis.  The starters plus Posey, House, and Powe, are the core and must be kept together.  After that, fill in the gaps with whatever role players we can get.  This is not the time to pinch pennies, we have a championship team here.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm not worried about teams that are under the cap, when it comes to Posey. There are a lot of players ahead of him on the general free agent wish list.

But, I totally agree that there will be a lot of teams that would be happy to pick him up. Contenders, and near-contenders.

I hope the C's keep him. He's in their top 5. A MLE is a great price for any team's top 5 guy.

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 05:57:58 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

The Bulls, Warriors, and Wizards aren't going to use their room on Posey.  That's going to go towards locking up their own free agents (Deng, Gordon, Biedrins, Ellis, Jamison, and Arenas) long term.

The Sixers do have space, but I think they can find a better option than Posey.  They've talked about Elton Brand if he opts out.

Plus, why would anybody want to pay Posey more than $6 - $7 million or so per year (averaged out on the MLE)?

Absolutely, Posey is of no use to teams like the Bulls, Warriors, Wizards, and Sixers.  What's he going to do to a team like that, bring them from the first round to the second?  By the time any of those teams is seriously ready to contend, Posey will be on the downside of his career. 

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
3 year MLE with full raises works

4 year MLE with smaller raises. 

/signed and a TP, thats pretty much my take on it.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I tend to agree with Roy here. I don't see any team that's not a serious contender to win a title in the next 2 years going after Posey. The Bulls could arguably be in that category, and will have about $8-9 million of cap space, but will need that space for Deng and Gordon. The Warriors will have about $7-8 million, but that doesn't include any money for Ellis or Biedrins, so that space will be gone. The Wizards have a solid $15-16 million to work with before the cap, but again, Jamison will take up a substantial chunk of that (maybe even all of it) and Arenas could be a sizeable chunk too. Whether they want to keep him longterm or not, in all likelihood, Arenas will sign with Washington at least for a sign and trade, meaning their cap space is gone. The Sixers have over $20 mil to work with, but that will drop to about 12 when Iguodala resigns. Do they really think Posey will put them over the top over the next two years? Not enough that it's worth giving him anything more than $5 mil a year.

We're competing with 3 to 4 year deals starting close to the full MLE, with those offers coming from good playoff teams like SA, LAL, NO, Phx. And as I've said before, I'd go to 3 years (maybe 4 if we start at 5 mn instead of full MLE) at the MLE, depending on what we're bidding against, or 5 years under his non-Bird rights.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I believe this is the only way the Celtics are going to able to get away with not using the MLE on Posey.  :o

If you were the GM would you make this move of signing a 32 year old to a five year deal worth approximately 4.2 million a year?

I do this for 2 reasons:

1) This allows the Celtics to allocate the MLE toward other valuable pieces that will allow us more depth as PGA get older.

2) It is relatively short money that will not oppress our future flexibility.

Also, Do you agree this is the only way the Celtics sign Posey without using the MLE? I'm trying to think of other possibilities

What are your Thoughts?
I don't think it's important HOW they do it. It's just important THAT they do it. He's earned it, he's been a great Celtic and he deserves to be treated like a Celtic. Just ask Miami.

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I believe this is the only way the Celtics are going to able to get away with not using the MLE on Posey.  :o

If you were the GM would you make this move of signing a 32 year old to a five year deal worth approximately 4.2 million a year?

I do this for 2 reasons:

1) This allows the Celtics to allocate the MLE toward other valuable pieces that will allow us more depth as PGA get older.

2) It is relatively short money that will not oppress our future flexibility.

Also, Do you agree this is the only way the Celtics sign Posey without using the MLE? I'm trying to think of other possibilities

What are your Thoughts?
I don't think it's important HOW they do it. It's just important THAT they do it. He's earned it, he's been a great Celtic and he deserves to be treated like a Celtic. Just ask Miami.

I think it's very important how they do it. He's earned what exactly?  Danny Ainge I think the MLE needs to be saved during this signing.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

if they sign Posey first they can go well over the cap to sign their own free agents.  Even with the minimum rate on the rookie deal guys they will still be under the cap.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

if they sign Posey first they can go well over the cap to sign their own free agents.  Even with the minimum rate on the rookie deal guys they will still be under the cap.

Your own free agents count against your cap until you sign them or they sign elsewhere, and depending upon their experience level, that cap hit is fairly large.  See here.  The only way to get around that is to renounce the player, which I'm sure none of the teams listed above are inclined to do.  Until such renunciation takes place (which it won't) the "cap space" you see on places like hoopshype is purely illusory.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
There isn't a player in the FA class that I want with the MLE more than I want Posey right now. 

I understand there are some concerns, but a 3 year MLE type contract makes a ton of sense.   He's one of our most important players and offers both Allen/Pierce a chance for a legitimate breather. 

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Can we use non-Bird rights to resign any player? If we use the non-birds rights max to resign Posey, can we still sign House to a non-Bird rights deal?

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Can we use non-Bird rights to resign any player? If we use the non-birds rights max to resign Posey, can we still sign House to a non-Bird rights deal?

I believe we can use the non-Bird rights on both of them.

I hope Posey signs a one-year non-Bird right contract.

Why he does it:

1) He gets a raise.
2) He could make more money in the long run by being signed with Bird Rights.

Why the Celtics do it:

1) They don't waste the MLE on him this year.
2) They get him for cheap this year.
3) They have one more year to evaluate his skills (are they declining, etc.)
4) They will have the MLE again next year, and won't have to use it on him (not that this was an issue anyways).

What I hope this means, that they can keep Posey for the time being, and that the Celtics strongly persue some center, someone like Diop who can solidify our big man situation for years to come with Perk in there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:22:45 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78

That's probably a more likely avenue. 

Offer Eddie House a 1 year, $1.8MM salary OR even 2 year, $3.9MM contract to give him a little more security

Use the MLE on Posey

Use the LLE on a center