Author Topic: 18 - 19 Celtics Tickets  (Read 2767 times)

18 - 19 Celtics Tickets
« on: December 26, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »

Offline kmannhl1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
To the individuals who sell games here and there or sell as a primary option.........does anyone feel this year has been a down year in terms of demand / re-sale value ????  I sell the majority of my games and last year was SO MUCH better on the secondary market........it is making me question the fact if I should renew or not.......given there may be another increase for 19 - 20........anyone else have similar thoughts ?? 

Re: 18 - 19 Celtics Tickets
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
To the individuals who sell games here and there or sell as a primary option.........does anyone feel this year has been a down year in terms of demand / re-sale value ????  I sell the majority of my games and last year was SO MUCH better on the secondary market........it is making me question the fact if I should renew or not.......given there may be another increase for 19 - 20........anyone else have similar thoughts ??

I've noticed the same thing.  I think the slow start might have affected the resale market.  It's also possible that the Red Sox World Series run wore out the casual fans.  Things should pick up in the 2nd half.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:24:18 PM by Green-18 »

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Yes and no.

Before the season started, I couldn't hold onto tickets. They went almost as fast as I posted them and prices were good. LeBron moving to the west didn't help and I severely underpriced Milwaukee.

Now, though, they have slowed down significantly, particularly since it's clear that this team isn't (yet?) what we thought that they would be. Obviously, part of that is due to the fact that I sold so many pre-season, but I don't have as many second half sales as I did at this time last year. In the past, though, tickets always moved faster in the second half than they did in the first. Last year was an exception.

Sadly, I disagree with your statement that there "may" be another increase next year. There absolutely will be, no question about it, even if the Celtics don't make it out of the first round of the playoffs. My tickets went from $100 per ticket to $115 per ticket, and I'm assuming that they're going up to $125 next year.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What are the fees involved with common resale sights on the seller's end?

For a simple example, what would a $50 purchase with a $100 resale net you?
Yup

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
What are the fees involved with common resale sights on the seller's end?

For a simple example, what would a $50 purchase with a $100 resale net you?

Ticketmaster (Celtics resale site) charges seller 5%. Stubhub charges 10%.

The problem is the buyer fees. TM clocks in at just over 21%, while SH also charges 10% to the buyer. If I'm a buyer, I'm going to SH. I'm not sure why so many people go to TM except for A) habit and B) the Celtics working hard to convince people that this is the only "safe" place to buy resale tickets.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 09:45:37 AM »

Offline kmannhl1

• Xavier Tillman
True true...........it will be interesting to see what our renewals come in at !!!!!  :-\

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 05:47:26 AM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
The schedule itself this year doesn't help either. So many games jammed into January. No Black Friday game. Friday/Sunday/Christmas Day game spread among 5 days, weakening demand.

You'll be able to make good $$ on those March tickets if you've held onto them. Celtics will have figured it out and gone on a run, no Pats/Sox to compete with, and lower supply from tickets already sold earlier in the season.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
The schedule itself this year doesn't help either. So many games jammed into January. No Black Friday game. Friday/Sunday/Christmas Day game spread among 5 days, weakening demand.

You'll be able to make good $$ on those March tickets if you've held onto them. Celtics will have figured it out and gone on a run, no Pats/Sox to compete with, and lower supply from tickets already sold earlier in the season.

I'm a numbers guy, so I tend to geek-out on this stuff. Here's how I'm looking at March, as well as how things looked before the beginning of the season. Please note: This is NOT an offer to sell tickets. Under the old CB, selling tickets above face was not allowed and I'm assuming that it will carry forward to CS. Also, every ticket is allocated an individual price for tax purposes (e.g., if I donate one to charity), with the assumption that a Lakers game should be more valuable than a Hornets game. For "per ticket" prices, though,  everything is at my average price of $115 per ticket.

March:

The month breaks pretty well. There are a few key games, both from a team and a time perspective. I sold Washington and SAS early, which is good, because I can't imagine I'd get much for Washington now.

The most interesting remaining game is that Sunday afternoon against Houston. Two reason for that: First, it's Houston. Second, it's a Sunday afternoon, which opens it up to parents with kids. The Indiana game could also be interesting, since it looks like they will be a main rival in the division. With only a few games left, that game could be meaningful. I'm also keeping my eye on Atlanta, since that's a Sunday afternoon game.

The Full Year:

I have an advantage when it comes to selling tickets, in that I don't care who I see play. Sure, the Lakers are more exciting than the Bulls, but being there is 95% of it for me.

This season was actually pretty promising, since there were a lot of "high value" games on the docket. I'd take a schedule like this one every year. Before the season, these were the ones that I was expecting to go well above face:

Opening night against 76ers

Friday night 11/16 against Toronto

Wed night before Thanksgiving against the Knicks

Christmas against the 76ers

Saturday night 1/26 against the Warriors (Added bonus: I have no interest in this game anyway, since it was a late start and I wouldn't have gotten home until midnight)

Feb 7 against the Lakers

Feb 3 against Houston

This is my 7th season as a STM, so I've gotten reasonably good at pricing. I'm pretty sure that I overvalue Friday night and weekend games, but directionally, I tend to get them correct.

Of the ones that I listed above, I had more hits and a few misses. The Lakers and GS went within days of my listing them. Opening night and Christmas took a little longer, but priced reasonably well (On Christmas, I didn't account for the fact that so many people are on vacation). Wednesday night before Thanksgiving was tough, although they eventually sold at a lower price than I expected. Houston is TBD.

My biggest "miss" was underestimating Milwaukee demand. Those suckers went fast.

With the exception of the Lakes and Warriors, January and February look lousy this year. Lots of midweek stuff against weak teams, and 11 games in January alone.

Anyway, that's a little "inside baseball" on how I tend to price these things. My first few years were while the team was pretty bad and everything was going below face, so we're in the "make-up" period. ;)

Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 01:40:05 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
My situation has been similar to Mike's but that said not all that much different then years past.
Celtics demand definitely has peaks and dips. I've learned to unload as many as I can as soon as the initial onsale happens. People strike out and panic, there is hope and excitement so people just want to secure games to go to.

Once the season starts demand goes way down, especially the first half of the year. Marquee games like Golden State always sell but those Wednesday night games against Orlando or Cleveland suffer. I do think the under performance has hurt us.. but i've always said that Celtics interest doesn't spark until Patriot season is done, which is why second half of the year sales are a lot easier.

I also think there are way more season ticket holders now, many who got in with the sole intention to make a quick buck. I think those people are suffering since their entry point is much higher then guys like myself or Mike. For example I am paying $92 on average for my seats. If another person got comparable seats to mine starting this year they'd be paying $120. With so many people trying to sell, the team under performing and the limited amount of teams in the NBA people actually want to see there has been kind of a dumpster fire with reselling this year.

All this said i'm going to renew, I go to a lot less games then i used to but I am not losing money on games if I plan it correctly.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:35:25 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:26:22 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
One other note: The buyer premium on StubHub seems to have increased from 10% to 15%, so Ticketmaster isn't yet competitive for buyers (~21.5%), but it's closer.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »

Offline kmannhl1

• Xavier Tillman
There's no way they're increasing prices for next year.........this team looks so over-hyped/over-rated to me right now

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
There's no way they're increasing prices for next year.........this team looks so over-hyped/over-rated to me right now

They have a waiting list a mile long. They're absolutely raising prices.

I'll bet you 100 MPs (Mike points; even less value than a TP) that ticket prices go up.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »

Offline kmannhl1

• Xavier Tillman
Even after that doozy last night ??   8)

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

They have a waiting list a mile long. They're absolutely raising prices.

I'll bet you 100 MPs (Mike points; even less value than a TP) that ticket prices go up.

Mike

I'm with Mike here. The only way they possibly stay the same is if Kyrie leaves but i think we'd have to renew before that decision is made.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Even after that doozy last night ??   8)

Sadly, yes. :VomitEmoji:

We're already starting to hear the "Wait for next year when Hayward has had a full year and we have Davis" rhetoric. Not from the Cs administration, of course, but we fans tend to be a bit hopeful for these things.

Mike