Author Topic: Triple Crown  (Read 11305 times)

Triple Crown
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Since I know most of you stopped paying attention to baseball already, you may not know that Miguel Cabrera now leads the American League in Batting Average, Home Runs, and Runs Batted In.  After today there is just one day left.  He will not be caught in RBI, but still could be caught in HR's and Average.  Even given that he is playing today (and thus could hurt his own batting average).  There hasn't been a triple crown since Carl Yastrzemski 45 years ago and frankly no one has even been close any time recently.  This is one of the accomplishments I wasn't sure I would ever seen in my lifetime.  I hope he can close it out and finish it off.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Triple Crown
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Great accomplishment. Though I expected him winning it to lock up the MVP award.  Lot of people are still thinking Trout is going to get it.  Should be an interesting vote.
do it

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Have had Miggy as a keeper in one of my fantasy leagues since '06, pretty awesome accomplishment to see.  First time in my lifetime with a Triple Crown winner. 

Miggy v. Trout for MVP is a compelling argument. I'm in Miggy's corner.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Have had Miggy as a keeper in one of my fantasy leagues since '06, pretty awesome accomplishment to see.  First time in my lifetime with a Triple Crown winner. 

Miggy v. Trout for MVP is a compelling argument. I'm in Miggy's corner.

I had trout on my Fantasy team this year, but I think its Miggy no doubt for MVP. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
an awesome accomplishment indeed.  Been a lot of high-average hitters in the majors for decades (Carew, Boggs, Gwynn, etc..) that didn't hit for power that made this accomplishment pretty much impossible for a power hitter.

Only other player I think could reasonably pull this off is Ryan Braun in the National League.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Trout had a better year than Miggy.  The average was extremely close, and the power numbers weren't far off.  Trout's team won more games in a tougher division, though, and he played gold glove defense (while Cabrera was well below average).

Cabrera was a slightly better hitter, but as a total package, Trout was definitely superior.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think Trout had a better year than Miggy.  The average was extremely close, and the power numbers weren't far off.  Trout's team won more games in a tougher division, though, and he played gold glove defense (while Cabrera was well below average).

Cabrera was a slightly better hitter, but as a total package, Trout was definitely superior.
Trout also has a much better hitting team and a lot more protection in the lineup (yeah Miggy has Fielder, but it those two and no one else while Trout has Pujols, Trumbo, Hunter, etc.).  And you are talking about a single win separating the teams.  Also, Trout wasn't even close to leading his team in RBI's.  He was way behind Pujols. 

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Trout also has a much better hitting team and a lot more protection in the lineup (yeah Miggy has Fielder, but it those two and no one else while Trout has Pujols, Trumbo, Hunter, etc.).  And you are talking about a single win separating the teams.  Also, Trout wasn't even close to leading his team in RBI's.  He was way behind Pujols.

Yes, but Trout scored way more runs, which are just as much a function of your team as RBI's.  Trout also faced tougher pitching staffs in his division such as Oakland and Seattle  than did Cabrera.  Here's the batting average given up by pitching staffs in the West and Central:

Oakland: .245, #5 in MLB
Seattle: .248, #8 in MLB
Texas: .250, #13 in MLB

vs.

Chicago: .250, #12 in MLB
Cleveland: .268, #26 in MLB
Kansas City: .270, #28 in MLB
Minnesota: .273, #29 in MLB.

A few more games against KC and Minny, and a few less against Oakland and Seattle, and Trout wins the batting title.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes, but Trout scored way more runs, which are just as much a function of your team as RBI's.  Trout also faced tougher pitching staffs in his division such as Oakland and Seattle  than did Cabrera.  Here's the batting average given up by pitching staffs in the West and Central:

vs.

A few more games against KC and Minny, and a few less against Oakland and Seattle, and Trout wins the batting title.
Trout scored more runs because he has better hitters behind him.  You proved my point for me. 

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

vs.

Trout scored more runs because he has better hitters behind him.  You proved my point for me.

And Cabrera knocked in more runs because he has better hitters in front of him.  RBI's and runs are both mediocre stats at best, and largely a function of lineup position.  But someone one day decided that RBI's should count for the "Triple Crown" and that runs shouldn't, and ever since, RBI's have been given more importance than runs.  I don't know what your point is.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cabrera should win the MVP. If he didn't play first base where there are so many power hitting and producing players, his WAP would be way higher and above that of Trout's and this wouldn't even by a conversation.

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:08 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell

vs.

The pitching staffs shouldn't have anything to do with who wins the MVP.  You play who is on your schedule, nothing you can do about that.  Both guys had very special years and whoever wins is definitely worthy. 
do it

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
Cabrera should win the MVP. If he didn't play first base where there are so many power hitting and producing players, his WAP would be way higher and above that of Trout's and this wouldn't even by a conversation.

He played third this year.
do it

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Put him anywhere but first or third, and all the errors would probably decrease his WAR.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
The MVP debate is ridiculous. If Trout got the Triple Crown and Miggy had Trout's numbers, everyone would say Trout will win the MVP hands down. There should be no debate, the MVP has to go to Cabrera. The fact that people are debating this says a lot.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk