Author Topic: 2014 NBA Combine Thread (Measurements Are Posted)  (Read 50968 times)

Re: 2014 NBA Combine Thread (Measurements Are Posted)
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
Per Blakely's Twitter:

Julius Randle said he will interview with the #Celtics today. #Celticstalk

Kyle Anderson, Rodney Hood & Noah Vonleh among the players that have/are scheduled to interview with the #Celtics this week. #Celticstalk
what i found to be interesting is that of the 13 players the celtics are interviewing so far, only two of them are pf, and none are centers.

looks a lot as if #17 will be a guard or wing.

Kyle Anderson, PG/F, UCLA
Dante Exum, G, Australia
P.J. Hairston, G, D-League
Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State
Rodney Hood, F, Duke
Zach LaVine, G, UCLA
Doug McDermott, F, Creighton
Shabazz Napier, PG, UConn
Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky
Marcus Smart, G, Oklahoma State
Nik Stauskas, SG, Michigan
Noah Vonleh, PF, Indiana
T.J. Warren, F, N.C. State
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
When we see someone's height on ESPN or NBA.com, is it usually "with shoes" or "Without shoes"?

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
What's up with Kristap Porzingis?  That dude came out of nowhere.  I heard Fran Fraschilla mention his name on ESPN today.  Looked him up and saw that he's twenty-third on DraftExpress' current mock draft.

He looks decent in his video.  He's wicked long, can run the floor really well, finish at the rim, block shots, and he looks like he has a nice touch from the perimeter.

He looks like a twig, but he's still only eighteen. 

I think those who scout international hoops were surprised he came out this year, which is why we hadn't seen much about him throughout the season as compared to some other internationals.  I remember that when Kristaps announced he was declaring, Givony (DX) tweeted something along the lines of it being a shocking move.  DX previously had him on their 2015 mock.

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Ya'll gonna feel funny when Randle is getting a near double double , while Wiggins and Parker have to grow up.....learn to be men .....Randle is already there.

Randle now measured good......he's  a big dude.

He is THE Safe pick for the Celtics ..good parents.....right attitude like Sully .

Randle is going in top 6

Randle is for sure going in top 6.

I don't know if hes the safest pick.. I would go with Parker being the safest pick in terms of what you're getting.

We most likely are picking #6... Randle will probably be gone before that.  I think the top 5 will be Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum and Randle.

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
When we see someone's height on ESPN or NBA.com, is it usually "with shoes" or "Without shoes"?

With

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I just have a gut feeling that Vonleh is going to wind up being our guy. Not pumped about 6'8" bare feet, but Dwight Howard is only 6'9" barefeet, so if he's got the athleticism and strength, he might be able to do a little bit of stuff as a slightly short center (similar wingspan to dwight . .. 3 less inches on standing reach).

I agree that Payne could be a good player . . .though I don't have a lot of excitement about him. Maybe it's the comparisons to Charlie V?

Hoping we get a tough and crafty scorer.  .. hoping that Hairston or Anderson is 'that guy' and available. Gonna be a fun time seeing how all this plays out. Embiiiiiiiiiiid me ASAP!

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
Ya'll gonna feel funny when Randle is getting a near double double , while Wiggins and Parker have to grow up.....learn to be men .....Randle is already there.

He is THE Safe pick for the Celtics ..good parents.....right attitude like Sully .

Randle is going in top 6

I don't know if hes the safest pick.. I would go with Parker being the safest pick in terms of what you're getting.

We most likely are picking #6... Randle will probably be gone before that.  I think the top 5 will be Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum and Randle.

that does seem to be the general consensus doesnt it? if so, then...welcome to the boston celtics vonleh!!  :D which would be fine with me at number 6.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Per Blakely's Twitter:

Kyle Anderson, Rodney Hood & Noah Vonleh among the players that have/are scheduled to interview with the #Celtics this week. #Celticstalk
what i found to be interesting is that of the 13 players the celtics are interviewing so far, only two of them are pf, and none are centers.

Dante Exum, G, Australia
Rodney Hood, F, Duke
Zach LaVine, G, UCLA
Noah Vonleh, PF, Indiana

Not too surprising.  Embiid isn't there, Nurkic isn't there I don't think.  I think the best center at the combine might be Isaiah Austin, who's seen as a late 1st to mid-second round talent, despite being huge.

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Randle is going in top 6

Oh yeah I d take Parker , Wiggins , Embiid too......but after them is what I'm talking about.......they could be better than Randle and most likely Eventually will......

But the rest Exum, Gordon and all the rest is pure speculation .....huge gamble

Randle will make his mark .......from the first day of summer league .

I would have said you were crazy before today. Now I am crazy.

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Randle is going in top 6

Oh yeah I d take Parker , Wiggins , Embiid too......but after them is what I'm talking about.......they could be better than Randle and most likely Eventually will......

But the rest Exum, Gordon and all the rest is pure speculation .....huge gamble

Randle will make his mark .......from the first day of summer league .
little doubt he'll make a mark in summer league since it's basically rookies and D-league players.  my main concern with taking Randle isn't so much his size but the fact we already have 3 other PFs under contract for next season (2 of which are still young and improving) and that Randle has looked absolutely clueless on defense in college. 

if Danny takes Randle in the draft I have to believe it's on behalf on another team that's making a deal with Danny to move up while Danny grabs a slightly-later pick and another asset.

Great point.  Maybe slide down to take Saric or Gordon.  Kevin O'Connor said if Celtics had 5th pick he'd like them to take Saric. He's probably still around at 8, so if we have the 5th pick we could trade down a few spots and still nab him or Gordon, and pick up a 2nd round pick and take a chance on that 7'3" Walter "Eddy" Tavares shot blocker!!

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Impressive measurements

Payne - 7'4 wingspan . Previously sites had him having 7'0 wingspan
Vonleh - 9'0 reach. Previously 8'10 reach
Mcdaniel - 6'11 wingspan. previously 6'9
Austin - 9'4 reach. previously 9'3 reach

Little improvements but help

Randle - 7'0 wingspan. Previously 6'10-6'11 wingspan
Exum - 8'9 reach. Previously 8'7.5 reach
Early - 6'10-6'11 wingspan. Previously 6'9
Warren - 6'10 wingspan. Previously 6'9

I would say that. psychologically, Randle's wing measurement is not little, but huge.  Especially since he is longer than Gordon, even though they are the same height. 

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Here we have the rare flying Wiggins...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Per Blakely's Twitter:

Dante Exum, G, Australia
Rodney Hood, F, Duke
Zach LaVine, G, UCLA
Noah Vonleh, PF, Indiana

Most of these guys are for the 17 slot, that's why.  That pick is locked in.  Where we come out in the lottery will drive who we should interview for our top pick.

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
To be honest, I don't put a lot of stock into height/wingspan measurements. Basketball heights at all levels are fudged. Standing reach for big men is important, but other than that - I just look at the prospect's productivity, existing skill set, potential skill set, and athleticism. If someone that I expect to be 6'1" is actually 5'11.5" - I really don't care.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
What's up with Kristap Porzingis?  That dude came out of nowhere.  I heard Fran Fraschilla mention his name on ESPN today.  Looked him up and saw that he's twenty-third on DraftExpress' current mock draft.

He looks decent in his video.  He's wicked long, can run the floor really well, finish at the rim, block shots, and he looks like he has a nice touch from the perimeter.

He looks like a twig, but he's still only eighteen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggBUuNXvm24

He was included in Kevin O'Connor's big man analysis a couple of weeks ago.  Very thorough.