Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76418 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm at the point where I look at the pats like a tv show that has been on too long.

I'm worried they're gonna keep trying to hold this thing together with scotch tape until Brady decides to retire.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm at the point where I look at the pats like a tv show that has been on too long.

I'm worried they're gonna keep trying to hold this thing together with scotch tape until Brady decides to retire.

Is there a better option? It's not like Jimmy G is sitting on the bench or we have this young, exciting defense. This is like the Cs in 2011-13. Enjoy it while you can - Brady is still awesome; unfortunately, the rest of the team is not.

« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Is there a better option? It's not like Jimmy G is sitting on the bench or we have this young, exciting defense. This is like the Cs in 2011-13. Enjoy it while you can - Brady is still awesome; unfortunately, the rest of the team is not.

Rebuilds take a while. Might as well get started.

Its one thing if they're good but not great.

This year they're actually bad.  Not horrible, but clearly not especially good in any area.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2018, 07:38:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Well, the Sox won the World Series and the Celtics are very good with a chance to be great. 

When the time comes, I'm gonna miss Tommy.  This is going to be a tough grieving process. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Time to call it a season boys. If this team makes playoffs, wild-card weekend and then an early exit.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Exciting but sluggish first half overall for both teams.

Not a good sign that NE's offense seems to be stalling a lot more although the refs really didn't help us in that half (missed calls and that BS PI call to set up PIT's 2nd TD). Also Edelman has had like 2 big drops which is uncharacteristic of him (had 1 big one last week too).

NE has to come out and do something with the ball. I trust this defense (and Big Ben's mistakes) will keep us in it, but the offense has to start converting on their chances and scoring. If we need to, keep passing the ball or try some trickery, because these runs up the middle are predictably getting stuffed.

I think this 2nd half will tell us a lot about this team. If they falter and lose, I think it's a wild card team that wins one home game and that's it in the playoffs. If they make good adjustments, do well and win, they'll prove that they're probably at least going to the AFCCG (and obviously get a lot closer to clinching a first round bye)

Well, as I predicted, the defense and a Big Ben mistake (the 2nd INT) kept them in the game, but boy that offense was putrid. YIKES. Seriously, what the hell is with this red zone offense and playcalling??!? It's like once they get inside the 20, they have no clue what to do and just stutter completely. Where's Josh Gordon in these kind of situations? And on that final drive, Brady threw like 3 passes that weren't even catchable over the end zone, then practically floats 1 essentially into a triple team to end the game. Also, this is now the 2nd straight game Brady has made an awful decision in the red zone (last week, taking a sack right before the half to cost the team 3 points, and today the INT to Haden).

Ultimately though, the penalties KILLED the team. Hard to win any game when you have 14 penalties in a single game and the other team only has like 3-4.

What really summed up today though... 3rd and 4 in the red zone, down 14-7, and we call a freakin' WR screen that somehow didn't get picked/batted down and had virtually no chance of going for a first down anyway the way PIT's defense was lined up. Really McDaniels!?!?  >:(

Credit to Edelman for almost converting it, but still not good enough.

Anyways, yeah this is probably a WC team. Should win their home game but then next round (divisional) will lose to HOU/LAC/KC on the road (depending on who gets 1-2 seeds based on seeding).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Well, the Sox won the World Series and the Celtics are very good with a chance to be great. 

When the time comes, I'm gonna miss Tommy.  This is going to be a tough grieving process.

Pats should move on from him and rebuild. He's been around playing at a high level longer than anyone could have ever imagined. Time for him to move on for the good of the franchise and his future health. As Sir Charles says, father time is undefeated.

« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
When Brady/Kraft forced BB to trade JG, that was the beginning of the end we are seeing now.

We got killed by our own mistakes today...dropped passes to start the downfall and then penalty after penalty after penalty to kill drives and our chances. Poor effort today, just like our Cs last night.

Sucky weekend for Boston sports.

« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This year they're actually bad.  Not horrible, but clearly not especially good in any area.

There are about 22 to 24 teams that would like to be as “bad” as the Pats, though. They’ve beaten the Texans, Bears and Chiefs - all division leaders - and could still end up with a bye.  It’s hard to tear it down when you can hang with any other team in the NFL.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

There are about 22 to 24 teams that would like to be as “bad” as the Pats, though. They’ve beaten the Texans, Bears and Chiefs - all division leaders - and could still end up with a bye.  It’s hard to tear it down when you can hang with any other team in the NFL.

I agree.

Brady and Kraft made their bed. They have NO choice.

« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I understand why it's not likely to happen, and I recognize I'm a spoiled fan. The pats have been good and relevant basically my entire adult life.

Still, I'd rather see them start reshaping the team into whatever comes next rather than continue trotting out gradually weaker iterations of this old squad.

If they can be good at something - great on offense, great on defense, really creative playcalling - then OK.  But this weak, not good at anything version? I'll pass.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
The look on Bill's face when he kept getting asked about the penalties  ;D ;D he's going to be doing some serious yelling in the locker room if he hasn't already. Trent Brown had what, 3 just by himself?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2018, 09:43:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not to mention, the Pat's tear their team down like every offseason. They are constantly bringing in 25-30 new players every year. Belichick rebuild the team every single year. Poured Belichick doesn't tank. He is constantly turning over talent and coaching them up so by year's end they are playoff ready.

« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Not to mention, the Pat's tear their team down like every offseason. They are constantly bringing in 25-30 new players every year. Belichick rebuild the team every single year. Poured Belichick doesn't tank. He is constantly turning over talent and coaching them up so by year's end they are playoff ready.

They dont look particularly coached up this year.

In fact they look worse in December so far.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2018, 11:20:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

They dont look particularly coached up this year.

In fact they look worse in December so far.
December and the season isn't over yet. 11-5 can easily win a Superbowl. It's happened before