Author Topic: Beasts of the East  (Read 3078 times)

Re: Beasts of the East
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You misread what I wrote I said Siakam is better "right now" and as far as Siakam not being able to create his offense you don't watch basket-ball my friend. I watch the competition go on youtube watch Siakam highlights of this year the man creates offense for the entire team.

The real questions that has to worry you is will your team fold as it always does in the playoffs or will Kawhi be the difference.   I would not trust Lowry and the rest of team as their post season record of handling pressure is very poor.

Will Kawhi stay with all those taxes?   Nope, is my guess.

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The Celtics are still the only team in the East capable of being an actual 'beast'.  They haven't consistently played up to their potential; it's been a bit of a bumpy ride waiting for Hayward to recover his form and some of the younger players to settle into their roles.  But Boston still has the most talent, top to bottom, of any team in the East, and that's really not debatable.

Sure, Giannis and Kawhi are the two best players, but Kyrie is close enough, and truthfully, a more dangerous offensive player than either Giannis or Kawhi.  With LeBron now out of the way, it's the Celtics' conference to lose.  The other teams just have to hope we falter.
they aren’t there now but Philly is capable of being a beast.  Three all stars.  If they start to mesh, they could be nasty.  They are still figuring out how to play with each other.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The Celtics are still the only team in the East capable of being an actual 'beast'.  They haven't consistently played up to their potential; it's been a bit of a bumpy ride waiting for Hayward to recover his form and some of the younger players to settle into their roles.  But Boston still has the most talent, top to bottom, of any team in the East, and that's really not debatable.

Sure, Giannis and Kawhi are the two best players, but Kyrie is close enough, and truthfully, a more dangerous offensive player than either Giannis or Kawhi.  With LeBron now out of the way, it's the Celtics' conference to lose.  The other teams just have to hope we falter.
they aren’t there now but Philly is capable of being a beast.  Three all stars.  If they start to mesh, they could be nasty.  They are still figuring out how to play with each other.

Philly doesn't scare me at all. We beat them convincingly last year and will do that again if we meet them. They just lack depth. They added Butler, but lost Covington and Saric. We got Irving and Hayward back.

It's really between Toronto, Boston and Milwaukee.

And Golden State doesn't look invincible, but I don't know if there's team in the West that could potentially knock them out (Denver, OKC, New Orleans, Houston?). 

Edit: I see you speak of 3 All Stars for Philadelphia? That's a little premature. And if Simmons is an All Star then so is Tatum. And how about Hayward and Horford? Do the Celtics have 4 All Stars?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:39:44 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Sure, but I have serious reservations about the fit of those three.  For now, I guess we have to wait and see, but that means I can't rule it out.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I haven't seen anyone else on the Celtics this year step up other than Kyrie.

What about Marcus Morris? He was 156th in win shares last season. He's 49th this year.
Smart was 244th in WS last season. He's 74th this season. Actually, Smart has as many WS this year as he did the entire last season.

Those are major improvements.

Also, why do you call basketball "basket-ball?"

I'm pretty sure you're just a troll.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
You misread what I wrote I said Siakam is better "right now" and as far as Siakam not being able to create his offense you don't watch basket-ball my friend. I watch the competition go on youtube watch Siakam highlights of this year the man creates offense for the entire team.

The real questions that has to worry you is will your team fold as it always does in the playoffs or will Kawhi be the difference.   I would not trust Lowry and the rest of team as their post season record of handling pressure is very poor.

Will Kawhi stay with all those taxes?   Nope, is my guess.

The tax situation doesn't apply to Kawhi he's not Canadian he's American and he would be paid in US dollars 190 million which is 255 million Canadian.

Philly doesn't worry me Celtics already beat them last year we know what to expect in a playoff series from them not to mention Ben Simmons is a walking turn over.

The Bucks and the Raptors both made coaching changes and as of right now it looks like it was the right move both teams look better than ever before.

Lowry is leading the league in assists ever since his ISO brother Demar was deported

Giannis is bombing the paint and kicking it out to good three point shooters thanks to Buds adjustments and growth from the rest of the team, however it gives me comfort knowing we've also beaten them in a series.

We've played Philly and Bucks in a series but we've never played Toronto and now that they have a new coaching staff and top 3 player we don't know what to expect.

These "Playoff disappointments" have come at the hands of Lebron James not the Celtics.

I don't know I guess I'm just p---ed I bet 1000 dollars the Celtics would win 60 games and now that's looking like a lost cause.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Sekou Smith (who is awesome on NBA TV) on Celtics Talk gave the following current ranking in East (with which I agree):

1. Toronto
2. Boston
3. Philly

Does not think the Bucks are in the same class as the 3 above right now, although acknowledges that could change.

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:46 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Philly doesn't scare me at all. We beat them convincingly last year and will do that again if we meet them. They just lack depth. They added Butler, but lost Covington and Saric. We got Irving and Hayward back.

And Golden State doesn't look invincible, but I don't know if there's team in the West that could potentially knock them out (Denver, OKC, New Orleans, Houston?). 

Edit: I see you speak of 3 All Stars for Philadelphia? That's a little premature. And if Simmons is an All Star then so is Tatum. And how about Hayward and Horford? Do the Celtics have 4 All Stars?
3 of our 4 wins were close.  Embiid also not close to 100% recovering from injury and having to wear the mask.  They do need to shore up their bench at the trade deadline or with buyouts.  I think they also really need to have home court.  Don't think either are there yet but Simmons is closer to being an all-star than Tatum is right now. 

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 03:57:11 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
One a side note how did Brook Lopez become such a good three point shooter makes no sense to me the dude is out there looking like the third splash brother.

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

The tax situation doesn't apply to Kawhi he's not Canadian he's American and he would be paid in US dollars 190 million which is 255 million Canadian.

What exactly are you trying to say here?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Toronto is the better team right now. Guess what? There is 4 months left in the regular season. In terms of opponents against the C’s I’d go with:

1. Toronto (both teams with the best depth and overall talent)

2. Philly (still too top heavy, worst bench)
3. Milwaukee (Giannis and maybe Middleton can be counted on)

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

3 of our 4 wins were close.  Embiid also not close to 100% recovering from injury and having to wear the mask.  They do need to shore up their bench at the trade deadline or with buyouts.  I think they also really need to have home court.  Don't think either are there yet but Simmons is closer to being an all-star than Tatum is right now.

I guess Simmons has a bigger chance to get an All Star selection, because of his assist numbers. But Tatum is just as good as a player right now, he just has to sacrifice his stats for the team.

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
The bulk of Leonard’s $20,099,188 salary next season will be taxed at Ontario’s 53.53% rate rather than San Antonio’s meager 37% (US federal) rate. In all, Leonard will owe about $2.07 million more in taxes as a result of the trade.

But all is not lost. His contract with the Spurs included a trade kicker paying him $3,014,878 if he were to be traded.

My point is because he would get paid in US dollars the increase in tax is negated by the fact he would be getting an extra 60 million CAD because he would exchange his currency if he did decide to stay in Toronto.

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 04:30:18 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

What exactly are you trying to say here?

The bulk of Leonard’s $20,099,188 salary next season will be taxed at Ontario’s 53.53% rate rather than San Antonio’s meager 37% (US federal) rate. In all, Leonard will owe about $2.07 million more in taxes as a result of the trade.

But all is not lost. His contract with the Spurs included a trade kicker paying him $3,014,878 if he were to be traded.

My point is because he would get paid in US dollars the increase in tax is negated by the fact he would be getting an extra 60 million CAD because he would exchange his currency if he did decide to stay in Toronto.

Ok, it's a troll for sure.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:36:41 PM by Erik »

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Enough with the troll talk.