Author Topic: Kyrie and Jimmy Butler Want To Play Together  (Read 12393 times)

Re: Kyrie and Jimmy Butler Want To Play Together
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 04:42:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart and Morris for Butler. Who says no?
Minnesota and it isn't even a contest.  They would want Brown.

Who doesn't want Brown? But, if Butler makes it clear at the trade deadline that he isn't coming back, they would be lucky to get a player like Smart locked up on a long-term contract, plus another versatile player in Morris who they would have the option to keep.

At this point, Minnesota's best leverage is the fact that they can offer more money (which could be enough); otherwise, they are going to need to make a pretty decent playoff run to convince Butler to stay.

Not necessarily. The Twolves may get a good return for Butler , look at what the Spurs got for Kawhi for example.

If they want draft picks though in addition to players, we have a great chance if we want him.

Jimmy Butler is a great player but I'm not sure he is championship material.

Of course, but the Twolves aren't going to give him away either. Someone will give up assets for him, he is good enough to make the difference for several teams.

Also, Thibs is in charge, and he's a stubborn fool, if he has to move Butler, he will likely demand a lot or let him walk.
Yeah, but, Butler can and will opt out after this season and unless he is traded to a team he wants to re-sign with, he is a one year or less rental. Teams aren't going to give up a ton of assets for what could be a possible half season.

Same for Kawhi but the Spurs got an all-star back for him, along with a good big man prospect in Poetl, and a protected 1st.

Butler is not Kawhi, but he's not that much less than him either, and probably more likely to stay on the team that trades for him than Kawhi
I think you are over galuing Butler. Minnesota gave up Lavine, Dunn and a pick that ended up being Wendall Carter Jr. That was with 2 guaranteed years on Butler's contract. If traded at the deadline, Minny isn't getting anywhere close to that.

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Who doesn't want Brown? But, if Butler makes it clear at the trade deadline that he isn't coming back, they would be lucky to get a player like Smart locked up on a long-term contract, plus another versatile player in Morris who they would have the option to keep.

At this point, Minnesota's best leverage is the fact that they can offer more money (which could be enough); otherwise, they are going to need to make a pretty decent playoff run to convince Butler to stay.

Not necessarily. The Twolves may get a good return for Butler , look at what the Spurs got for Kawhi for example.

If they want draft picks though in addition to players, we have a great chance if we want him.

Of course, but the Twolves aren't going to give him away either. Someone will give up assets for him, he is good enough to make the difference for several teams.

Also, Thibs is in charge, and he's a stubborn fool, if he has to move Butler, he will likely demand a lot or let him walk.
Yeah, but, Butler can and will opt out after this season and unless he is traded to a team he wants to re-sign with, he is a one year or less rental. Teams aren't going to give up a ton of assets for what could be a possible half season.

Same for Kawhi but the Spurs got an all-star back for him, along with a good big man prospect in Poetl, and a protected 1st.

Butler is not Kawhi, but he's not that much less than him either, and probably more likely to stay on the team that trades for him than Kawhi
I think you are over galuing Butler. Minnesota gave up Lavine, Dunn and a pick that ended up being Wendall Carter Jr. That was with 2 guaranteed years on Butler's contract. If traded at the deadline, Minny isn't getting anywhere close to that.

We shall see

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 09:50:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

it was Markkanen
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

it was Markkanen
Yup. You're right.

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:18 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
exactly why people need to stop believing what you see on the internet.. I didn’t have no [dang] meeting today... its tomorrow.. i wonder what else people write and people believe hmmm...

https://twitter.com/jimmybutler/status/1041874339270803456?s=21

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
exactly why people need to stop believing what you see on the internet.. I didn’t have no [dang] meeting today... its tomorrow.. i wonder what else people write and people believe hmmm...

https://twitter.com/jimmybutler/status/1041874339270803456?s=21
this is just silly.  don't believe what you read because we aren't meeting on Monday.  We are in fact meeting on Tuesday.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/1043282553669603328

Kyrie Irving references playing for the #Celtics for "the next few years," says he hasn't spoken with Jimmy Butler about playing together since 2016, he believes the C's can beat the #Warriors in a 7-game series, and he's healthy.

Kyrie Irving says he's aware he's been linked to Jimmy Butler in rumors regarding a mutual desire to play together in New York He says he's had no such discussions with Butler, and the last time he talked to Butler at length was when they both played with USA Basketball in 2016.

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
In this excellent piece by Jackie MacMullen, Kyrie Irving says he hasn’t spoken to Jimmy Butler at length since 2016.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/1043286090273234944

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Kyrie Irving references playing for the #Celtics for "the next few years," says he hasn't spoken with Jimmy Butler about playing together since 2016, he believes the C's can beat the #Warriors in a 7-game series, and he's healthy.

Kyrie Irving says he's aware he's been linked to Jimmy Butler in rumors regarding a mutual desire to play together in New York He says he's had no such discussions with Butler, and the last time he talked to Butler at length was when they both played with USA Basketball in 2016.

Suck it Kyrie haters!

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2018, 08:19:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Suck it Kyrie haters!

Yeah! Suck it NY!!

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I have been saying for months that this speculation of Kyrie going to NY to team up with Butler was baseless and clickbait. I also have been saying for months that if Danny thought Kyrie was going to leave he would have traded him this summer.

Obviously, Kyrie let Danny know he would be here long term but just never said anything to the media. He did give up his trade kicker of about $3 million to come here. You don't give up that type of money, while coming into a contending team where you will be the man if you are going to leave in 2 years. I thought that point was fairly obvious.

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Love when you hear he has not spoken to Butler since 16! How far off the edge has the current media and news coverage gone in everything that touches our lives.There is no doubt in my mind that you no longer need to be honest or credible to work in the media.

I could honestly see Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, Hayward and maybe Horford’s numbers hanging from the rafters someday..leaving fame, tradition, money is not that easy. Embrace what you have and go out and get it done for the next decade plus...3 banners min

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »

Offline ETNCeltic

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
The Kyrie haters club will go into mourning over his comments.

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Some choice comments from the MacMullen article, seems like he's really locked into the idea of winning here. A couple other interesting points form the article: apparently he went vacationing in the Bahamas with Tatum. And he mentions Jaylen Brown first as he's listing the players who make him want to stay here. Jaylen Brown, AKA the younger version of Butler.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24756416/kyrie-irving-talks-boston-celtics

Irving said he's aware that he's been linked to Jimmy Butler in persistent free-agent rumors regarding a mutual desire to play together in New York, but he said he's had no such discussions with Butler. In fact, he said, the last time he talked to Butler at length was when they were both playing with USA Basketball, and the two engaged in a spitballing session along with Durant and Cousins about what the future held for each of them.

"And that," Irving laughed, "was in 2016."

"Who wouldn't be a part of this?" Irving said, gesturing to Boston's new practice facility. "Who wouldn't want to be a part of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum and Al Horford and Gordon Hayward? People keep saying, 'Why won't he commit to Boston?'

"Well, there are financial implications involved."

If Irving had signed an extension with Boston this past summer, he would have potentially left more than $80 million on the table than if he waits and re-signs with the Celtics next summer.

Last season, Irving gutted through persistent soreness and irritation caused by hardware from a 2015 surgery to repair a broken kneecap. He was forced to shut it down in March, underwent two additional surgeries, then spent much of his offseason methodically fine-tuning that left knee to the point where he believes he is the healthiest and strongest he's been in three years

"I'm moving completely differently," Irving told ESPN on Friday, just days away from the official start of training camp. "I've worked on my strength and have a heightened awareness of what my body needs on a day-to-day basis. I spent all summer trying get my left leg to catch up with my right. And it's there."

"Our pickup games are next level," Irving said. "I mean, next level. You can't believe what we're doing out there. We can't wait to get started."

He claimed to have a confidence in his lower body that simply did not exist during his abbreviated 2017-18 season.

"Now when I go to the rim," Irving explained, "I'm able to maintain my strength and athleticism, so when I get under there I have all sorts of options. No limitations. I can pick my spots. It's a lot better."

Pressed if he would be disappointed if they didn't win a championship, Irving responded, "Can we beat Golden State in a seven-game series? Yes."

What makes him so sure?

"Because of who we have," Irving answered, "and what we're establishing here, not just for this season, but for hopefully for the next few years, something that's pretty special.

"I've played against Golden State in three straight Finals (2015-17) -- two that I was able to participate in -- and seeing them evolve, with the talent they have, and then adding DeMarcus Cousins [this offseason], it's like 'OK, the whole league is on notice.'

"But there's one factor that they're aware of, and I'm aware of, and that's that I've seen them up close. I've played them so many times. We've gone in a seven-game series [when he was in Cleveland], so I know what it takes.

"Now, how do I communicate to our guys that this is the top-tier team, and we have to grow immensely in the next six months to beat them consistently? Not just one game, not just two, but in a seven-game series, because they're so dang great. They're a powerhouse."

"The drive for greatness, the drive to win a championship, that's all I care about," he said. "The rest of it doesn't matter."