Author Topic: Defense wins championships  (Read 4160 times)

Defense wins championships
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:04:30 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
It still holds very true today. Before the series starts, many were leaning on Warriors because of their championship pedigree. But I've also said before that Raptors have a punchers chance not because of their firepower, but their stiffling defense.

Most of their rotation players are very good defenders

Kawhi - DPOY
Gasol - Former DPOY
Green - 1x All-Defensive 2nd Team
Ibaka - 3x All-Defensive 1st Team
Lowry - All-Defensive caliber player who got snubbed
Siakam - Very good defender with athleticism, length and strength along with good footwork. Expect him to earn All-Defensive spots in the future.

Re: Defense wins championships
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:05:41 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
This is why keeping players like Smart is so important, and even Brown for that matter.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 12:08:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean they were the 5th best offense this year and the 5th best defense.

You need both in the modern NBA.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 12:20:03 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

Probably. But even then, Kawhi is the only guy who can consistently score on that team. Others are just role players who embraced their roles.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 12:28:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
interesting to hear nick nurse say the reason they won is because he had a bunch of guys who were unselfish and played defense.

Pretty much sums up what went wrong for celtics this season.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 12:32:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
interesting to hear nick nurse say the reason they won is because he had a bunch of guys who were unselfish and played defense.

Pretty much sums up what went wrong for celtics this season.

Lead by Kyme. Selfish and poor defense

Raptors basketball is true team basketball. Its beautiful ball.

Van Vleet is such a good floor general and his defense is stellar for a 6'0 pg with t rex arms. Both him and Lowry

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 12:43:20 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482

Probably. But even then, Kawhi is the only guy who can consistently score on that team. Others are just role players who embraced their roles.

Siakam - 26 point 10 rebound
VanFleet - 22 points 5 threes, and only 1 TO
Lowry - 26  points 10 assists

Totals from tonight's close out game, on the road, at the def champion's building.  Those guys came through big time.

Yeah those are just role players, lol.
Those are championship level performances...come on give them some props.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:52:57 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

Siakam - 26 point 10 rebound
VanFleet - 22 points 5 threes, and only 1 TO
Lowry - 26  points 10 assists

Totals from tonight's close out game, on the road, at the def champion's building.  Those guys came through big time.

Yeah those are just role players, lol.
Those are championship level performances...come on give them some props.

How many of these guys can be considered franchise players? There is a reason Lowry was called a playoff underperformer every year. I give them props, but let's not overrate these guys as superstars. Nothing wrong with being called a role player.

- Pascal have potential to be a great player and he's a very good side kick right now.
- VanVleet only averaged 7.4 PPG in the post season
- If you told me that you would take Lowry over Kyrie or any scoring point guard back then, I will tell you that you're a big liar.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 12:58:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That's really not true, he's the only consistent isolation player. They have plenty of shooters, transition players, and passers.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:20 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

That's really not true, he's the only consistent isolation player. They have plenty of shooters, transition players, and passers.

Spot up shooters are role players. Gasol is a role player at this point and can no longer score consistently. So is Ibaka. VanFleet is an Eddie House type spark off the bench, another role player. They can shoot, yes. But they don't consistently score.

Danny Green was cold as ice until he woke up in the finals.

I don't know why being a called a role player is a taboo on this forum or anywhere in general. Teams don't necessarily need superstars or all-stars for that matter as help. They need someone who will play within their role and execute the system offense/defense to perfection.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 01:13:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Wait wait wait, since when can a role player not be a consistent scorer? Your hypothesis has changed!

Also is everyone who isn't a isolation player a role player? Lowry runs a lot of pick and roll and is certainly not a role player, he made the all-star game!

Pascal could have made the game as well. They're not shot creators (though Pascal/Lowry both create a lot of transition possessions by running hard), but you have Kawhi for that!

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 01:14:45 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482

Spot up shooters are role players. Gasol is a role player at this point and can no longer score consistently. So is Ibaka. VanFleet is an Eddie House type spark off the bench, another role player. They can shoot, yes. But they don't consistently score.

I don't know why being a called a role player is a taboo on this forum or anywhere in general. Teams don't necessarily need superstars or all-stars for that matter as help. They need someone who will play within their role and execute the system offense/defense to perfection.

It isn't a taboo, but you are just wrong about Siakam and Lowry, they aren't role players.  Siamkam is probably looking at an all-star appearance next year, and Lowry already has been an all-star. 

from espn
"Kawhi Leonard and Pascal Siakam combined for 1,187 points this postseason, tied with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen for 2nd-most by a duo in a single postseason in NBA history. Only LeBron James and Dwyane Wade had more in 2012 (1,222)."

These guys aren't Tony Allen and Kendrick Perkins.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 01:17:07 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It still holds very true today. Before the series starts, many were leaning on Warriors because of their championship pedigree. But I've also said before that Raptors have a punchers chance not because of their firepower, but their stiffling defense.

Most of their rotation players are very good defenders

Kawhi - DPOY
Gasol - Former DPOY
Green - 1x All-Defensive 2nd Team
Ibaka - 3x All-Defensive 1st Team
Lowry - All-Defensive caliber player who got snubbed
Siakam - Very good defender with athleticism, length and strength along with good footwork. Expect him to earn All-Defensive spots in the future.

Is that Ujiri's secret to success? I have been trying to figure out his recipe to building a team. Could it be scouting defense first players? I thought it was just seeking long players with long wingspans.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 01:20:06 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

It isn't a taboo, but you are just wrong about Siakam and Lowry, they aren't role players.  Siamkam is probably looking at an all-star appearance next year, and Lowry already has been an all-star. 

from espn
"Kawhi Leonard and Pascal Siakam combined for 1,187 points this postseason, tied with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen for 2nd-most by a duo in a single postseason in NBA history. Only LeBron James and Dwyane Wade had more in 2012 (1,222)."

These guys aren't Tony Allen and Kendrick Perkins.

this term role player gets tossed around a lot. What and who exactly is a role player? In my book every player has a role.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 01:20:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Masai doesn't have any secret to team building, remember he tried to blow it up and trade Lowry before this run really started. He definitely has drafted for the modern NBA recently, look at how many versatile wings they have on their roster. Just a smart GM who was willing to go for it multiple times. (Ibaka trade, Kawhi trade, etc)