Author Topic: Doc to quit Clippers if Sterling says  (Read 7049 times)

Doc to quit Clippers if Sterling says
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Or at least that's a threat he allegedly made, revealed in testimony today at the Sterling trial.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-ceo-shelly-sterling-testify-072557352--nba.html

For those who haven't been following, the current trial is to determine whether or not Donald Sterling was mentally competent enough to control the trust which owns the Clippers when Shelly Sterling negotiated to sell the team.  If he is found competent, he can nullify the sale (which would have all kinds of consequences beyond the Clippers, apparently).  If he is found incompetent, the sale goes through and the saga largely ends (he can continue suing the NBA for damages, but the NBA is indemnified from him through the trust, so he's actually suing his wife's half of the trust).

But anyway, if Sterling wins this round, Doc might very well resign, and the situation in LA could get toxic in a hurry.  For all of those so quick to include the Clippers pick in trade proposals on this blog, you may want to reconsider.

Re: Doc to quit Clippers if Sterling says
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
So does that mean I have to root for a racist so Celtics get an amazing pick? I'm torn.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:42 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
So does that mean I have to root for a racist so Celtics get an amazing pick? I'm torn.

I think that's what it means.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
He quit on our organization so he might as well do the same there.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Sorta.  Here's how I'm rooting:

Sterling gets to hold onto the Clippers from this trial, and refuses to sell because that's his thing.  The NBA votes Sterling out in September.  Sterling files suit to keep the team, and gets an injunction (which he would, because you can't undo a sale really well).  Upon being granted the injunction, Doc quits (or heck, is canned by angry Sterling).  Team revolts, the Clippers stink, and we get a top pick.  Sometime next summer the NBA wins the lawsuit against Sterling, who has spent a lot of money fighting, and the team sells for less than the current $2 billion price since the brand has been damaged, meaning the racist loses in the long run while the Celtics win.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
What a wonderful role model Doc is turning out to be huh?

Man up Rivers!  You got a team there that is following YOU not Sterling.  Let all those events play out and YOU live up to the contract you signed.  If you quit, why should the players not do likewise?

*Sheesh*  To think I use to have respect for this guy.  Past tense.

Rak

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Sterling gets to hold onto the Clippers from this trial, and refuses to sell because that's his thing.  The NBA votes Sterling out in September.  Sterling files suit to keep the team, and gets an injunction (which he would, because you can't undo a sale really well).  Upon being granted the injunction, Doc quits (or heck, is canned by angry Sterling).  Team revolts, the Clippers stink, and we get a top pick.  Sometime next summer the NBA wins the lawsuit against Sterling, who has spent a lot of money fighting, and the team sells for less than the current $2 billion price since the brand has been damaged, meaning the racist loses in the long run while the Celtics win.
and sterling, just to spite the nba, trades paul to the celtics for free.  :D hey, if you want dream, dream big.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

and sterling, just to spite the nba, trades paul to the celtics for free.  :D hey, if you want dream, dream big.

In my dream we get Paul and DeAndre Jordan.  Your dream stinks.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
conspiracy theory -

Doc, KG, and PP were all traded so they can screw up their respective organizations, that will further benefit the Celtics  ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Or at least that's a threat he allegedly made, revealed in testimony today at the Sterling trial.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-ceo-shelly-sterling-testify-072557352--nba.html

For those who haven't been following, the current trial is to determine whether or not Donald Sterling was mentally competent enough to control the trust which owns the Clippers when Shelly Sterling negotiated to sell the team.  If he is found competent, he can nullify the sale (which would have all kinds of consequences beyond the Clippers, apparently).  If he is found incompetent, the sale goes through and the saga largely ends (he can continue suing the NBA for damages, but the NBA is indemnified from him through the trust, so he's actually suing his wife's half of the trust).

But anyway, if Sterling wins this round, Doc might very well resign, and the situation in LA could get toxic in a hurry.  For all of those so quick to include the Clippers pick in trade proposals on this blog, you may want to reconsider.

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous by Doc? It is not this Sterling being racist came out of nowhere. He was sued by his former Owner, and paid out multiple settlements related to houses all of which repeatedly involved strong allegations of racism. Doc went there and signed a big fat contract after all this happened. Now he gets recorded saying stuff way less bad than that and Doc can't handle it?

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Man up Rivers!  You got a team there that is following YOU not Sterling.  Let all those events play out and YOU live up to the contract you signed.  If you quit, why should the players not do likewise?

Rak

This mentality is screwed up in my opinion.  This mentality is why the oppressed usually continues to get more oppressed by the oppressor.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:12 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

i'm just rooting for the Celtics to get a great pick out of it.

as far as Doc threatening to leave goes. I think he looks like a clown if he does. he knew going in what he was getting into, but now that it's become a public nightmare he wants to leave. he's right for wanting to get outta there but for the wrong reasons.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Rak

Don't be ridiculous.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave.

sure, but if none of this was made public Doc would absolutely still be there. he only wants to leave because it makes him look bad if he stays. not because of the actual reason.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Rak

This mentality is screwed up in my opinion.  This mentality is why the oppressed usually continues to get more oppressed by the oppressor.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave.

I agree with this.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Rak

Don't be ridiculous.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave.

sure, but if none of this was made public Doc would absolutely still be there. he only wants to leave because it makes him look bad if he stays. not because of the actual reason.

Maybe.  But he really didn't have to come out and say that he'd leave if Sterlin is still the owner by next season when nobody else on the team is saying that.  All he has to do is cop out under the banner of "I'm here for the players and I'll let the NBA handle it" or something like that. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell