Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 240042 times)

Re: More Robert Williams please....
« Reply #1275 on: October 28, 2018, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He's able to guard the 3 point line and them slip down low again. He's cat-quick at 6-10. He needs more minutes so by the end of the season he is a defensive weapon.

« Reply #1276 on: October 28, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
NBA comparisons??

Maybe peak Emeka Okafor?

Best comp gets a TP

Trying to stay grounded as a Celtics fan; I'd say maybe Wilt Chamberlain or a rich man's Hakeem?  :laugh:

Truly awful comparisons. But: approved.
With his long arms and ability to block shots, Bill Russell. (not saying he will become Russell)
How about Horace Grant?
Switchy, long WS, good rebounder, quick laterally. About the same size

Horace Grant was a skilled ofensive player.  He had a very solid post game and he could knock down the mid range consistently.  I think our Robert Williams has more in common with Grant's replacement, Dennis Rodman.  Rodman was a defensive monster but severely limited offensively.  He had like no post moves and almost never stepped out to a 20 footer.  He was all put backs and easy dunks or layups, just like what I expect from Williams game.  Rodman came off the bench for those Pistons teams and was actually quite and reserved like our Robert Williams.  Rodman went cuckoo in San Antonio an Pop didn't know what to do with him.  It was in Chicago that he broke out and that was several years into his career.  With Williams work ethic I think he could turn in to Rodman with a decent offensive game and hopefully minus the crazy.

« Reply #1277 on: October 28, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I doubt he's gonna be a huge factor this year, probably mostly garbage time with the potential to get into the rotation by years end or if their are injuries. But I could see him being on the Bradley/Rozier tract where he doesn't play much year 1, in rotation year 2 and by year 4 is an above average starting center with Clint Capela like upside.

I doubt you are correct.
You gonna provide a reason for that doubt?

He can defend, rebound, and pass now, so why not use him now?

We have not had a big this athletic since KG.

« Reply #1278 on: October 28, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
NBA comparisons??

Maybe peak Emeka Okafor?

Best comp gets a TP

Trying to stay grounded as a Celtics fan; I'd say maybe Wilt Chamberlain or a rich man's Hakeem?  :laugh:

With his long arms and ability to block shots, Bill Russell. (not saying he will become Russell)
How about Horace Grant?

Horace Grant was a skilled ofensive player.  He had a very solid post game and he could knock down the mid range consistently.  I think our Robert Williams has more in common with Grant's replacement, Dennis Rodman.  Rodman was a defensive monster but severely limited offensively.  He had like no post moves and almost never stepped out to a 20 footer.  He was all put backs and easy dunks or layups, just like what I expect from Williams game.  Rodman came off the bench for those Pistons teams and was actually quite and reserved like our Robert Williams.  Rodman went cuckoo in San Antonio an Pop didn't know what to do with him.  It was in Chicago that he broke out and that was several years into his career.  With Williams work ethic I think he could turn in to Rodman with a decent offensive game and hopefully minus the crazy.

TP old school. I made same comparison to Rodman a few weeks back. They even have the same trotting gate in transition. Eerily similar.

I see Robert Williams as the future starting center for this team. Given all the scoring we have, it is almost an asset that he is not a scorer. He defends, blocks shots, rebounds. Polices the paint. Will fit in perfectly into this team’s future. Hoping with time  he can develop a respectable 3 point shot and foul shooting percentage, his only Achilles heal.

« Reply #1279 on: October 28, 2018, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I doubt he's gonna be a huge factor this year, probably mostly garbage time with the potential to get into the rotation by years end or if their are injuries. But I could see him being on the Bradley/Rozier tract where he doesn't play much year 1, in rotation year 2 and by year 4 is an above average starting center with Clint Capela like upside.

I doubt you are correct.

At this point he isn't close to being the all around player that Horford, Baynes or Theis is. So you use him when people are hurt or when you are in a blowout like last night. Let him grow his game in practice, walk through, video study, pre game coaching and let him grow slow learning from the better players in front of him. He will get some run this year but isn't good enough to have earned regular rotational minutes. Not with Horford, Baynes and Theis in front of him.

« Reply #1280 on: October 28, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Same as normal. CBS will not forcefeed rookies. They will get opportunities if they earn it.

Williams earned more opportunities last night in the right future matchups. He has earned it through his hard work and attitude.

The league is terrified of the trajectory Robert Williams is on with CBS coaching, Horford's example, and Williams hard work and talent.

How about this for a bold statement: there's a slim possibility that Williams becomes the best big (and player) in this draft.

« Reply #1281 on: October 28, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I doubt you are correct.

At this point he isn't close to being the all around player that Horford, Baynes or Theis is. So you use him when people are hurt or when you are in a blowout like last night. Let him grow his game in practice, walk through, video study, pre game coaching and let him grow slow learning from the better players in front of him. He will get some run this year but isn't good enough to have earned regular rotational minutes. Not with Horford, Baynes and Theis in front of him.

Nick I think you are underselling his ability to contribute to the team this season. He has a defensive skill set unmatched by anyone on this team. Maybe in the league.

For example, watch Kawhii post up this season. No one can guard him. He takes a fade-away turnaround with high release point that is almost impossible to defend. Brown can’t guard him. Would love to see Williams get experience defending him in regular season. I bet with experience — not going for head fakes— he may be able to cover him.

Because if we don’t figure out a way to stop Kawhii’s post up game, we are not going to the finals. I have watched most of their games this season. He is lethal.

Ditto on defending Durant if we make it to the finals.

« Reply #1282 on: October 28, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Robert is 20 was under coached and played out of position last season.Being surrounded by youth that want to be great and all star vets now
Brad will find him time under proper situations.I saw a clip of him knocking down corner threes in Madison Square Garden.This kid is coordinated and don't believe for a second he will not develop a more well rounded game.
Lopez is shooting threes ,Al has turned into the best big shooting threes,even Baynes has improved
2 offensive rebounds, a clever assist, three blocks and a pick and roll dunk.
It's a long season
His short minutes allow his knee to heal as he eases into and gets tested in different situations.
I saw him last season in transition pull a euro step for a score.

« Reply #1283 on: October 28, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Same as normal. CBS will not forcefeed rookies. They will get opportunities if they earn it.

Williams earned more opportunities last night in the right future matchups. He has earned it through his hard work and attitude.

The league is terrified of the trajectory Robert Williams is on with CBS coaching, Horford's example, and Williams hard work and talent.

How about this for a bold statement: there's a slim possibility that Williams becomes the best big (and player) in this draft.

He's very agile/light on his feet...when we drafted him, I envisioned a plodder, cause he went so late, like Perkins.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #1284 on: October 28, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
NBA comparisons??

Maybe peak Emeka Okafor?

Best comp gets a TP

How about Horace Grant?

TP old school. I made same comparison to Rodman a few weeks back. They even have the same trotting gate in transition. Eerily similar.

I see Robert Williams as the future starting center for this team. Given all the scoring we have, it is almost an asset that he is not a scorer. He defends, blocks shots, rebounds. Polices the paint. Will fit in perfectly into this team’s future. Hoping with time  he can develop a respectable 3 point shot and foul shooting percentage, his only Achilles heal.

I don't know about center.  I'm thinking PF in the Rodman mold but hopefully with more offense.  He is taller than Rodman and with a larger wingspan, so that is a plus.  I think this draft could bring the center of the future and I think it could reasonably be Bol Bol.  That a 7'2 big man with 3 point range.  So even if Williams doesn't develop much offense Bol Bol can spread the floor on the offensive end. A front court of Tatum SF, Williams PF, and Bol Bol C would be crazy scary on D and probably just as scary on offense even with Williams limitations.   With Irving at the point the SG or last wing spot is the area brad will have a tough choice.  Either Brown or Hayward will need to go to the bench, and possibly both if we luck out and get Zion Williamson too.

« Reply #1285 on: October 28, 2018, 05:06:00 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

He's very agile/light on his feet...when we drafted him, I envisioned a plodder, cause he went so late, like Perkins.
You obviously don't watch much college ball. His athleticism was evident from day 1 at A&M. His lack of offensive skills is what kept him lower in the lottery in mock drafts. Then some other issues popped up (injury concerns and maturity) that pushed him down the draft board.
When Perk was drafted, even though we knew he wasn't a Zion-like athlete, we didn't have much access to HS players unless they were off the charts. The best way to see them was in the all-start games. Now they show HS games on TV and lots of youtube stuff, especially if you luck out and run into some good stuff.

« Reply #1286 on: October 28, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

You obviously don't watch much college ball. His athleticism was evident from day 1 at A&M. His lack of offensive skills is what kept him lower in the lottery in mock drafts. Then some other issues popped up (injury concerns and maturity) that pushed him down the draft board.
When Perk was drafted, even though we knew he wasn't a Zion-like athlete, we didn't have much access to HS players unless they were off the charts. The best way to see them was in the all-start games. Now they show HS games on TV and lots of youtube stuff, especially if you luck out and run into some good stuff.

You're correct--I didn't watch him at all in College--but have been pleasantly pleased from the few minutes he's received--looks like he's a real BB player....All I kept hearing was that he wasn't motivated.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #1287 on: October 28, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I saw Williams at A&M as a freshman a couple times and thought he would be a monster his sophomore year. His potential was and still is off the charts. But bad coaching and playing in a two center system caused him to not develop at all. I think by year 4 we are looking at a more athletic Clint Capella. But is is still so very raw. We need to have patience. Stevens will play him when he is ready.

« Reply #1288 on: October 28, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
FREE Wlliamss

man got game.

« Reply #1289 on: October 29, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
The annual "I want the rookie to play more even though we have no idea if he's any good" thread.

#FreeMickey

Mike