Author Topic: Abdel Nader (merged threads)  (Read 86025 times)

Re: Abdel Nader (merged threads)
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't understand the amount of attention Nader gets from some on this board. He was the 58th pick in his draft, is an NBA rookie, and making about 1% of the salary cap. He's not a great or even good player right now but every time I watch him he plays hard, stays engaged on defense and doesn't disrupt the offense. He's no star-in-the-making but I don't see any reason he can't grow into a reliable bench wing.

Over these last 3 games where he's had to step up, I though he's looked ok (going 2-8 at the line last night notwithstanding).
15th guy on the roster, pushed into a role because we have so many injuries.  The over-reaction to some missed free throws is ridiculous, but unfortunately all too in character for many on this board.
Given that every time I've seen Nader play, he looks like he lacks the requisite agility and skill to play in the NBA, he could have at least made a couple of free throws. He's the 15th man on an NBA roster, not a weekend warrior at the local YMCA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't understand the amount of attention Nader gets from some on this board. He was the 58th pick in his draft, is an NBA rookie, and making about 1% of the salary cap. He's not a great or even good player right now but every time I watch him he plays hard, stays engaged on defense and doesn't disrupt the offense. He's no star-in-the-making but I don't see any reason he can't grow into a reliable bench wing.

Over these last 3 games where he's had to step up, I though he's looked ok (going 2-8 at the line last night notwithstanding).
15th guy on the roster, pushed into a role because we have so many injuries.  The over-reaction to some missed free throws is ridiculous, but unfortunately all too in character for many on this board.
Given that every time I've seen Nader play, he looks like he lacks the requisite agility and skill to play in the NBA, he could have at least made a couple of free throws. He's the 15th man on an NBA roster, not a weekend warrior at the local YMCA.

So true. Nader apologists think it's okay for him to be abysmal because he's the 15th guy on the roster.

It's unfortunate that we are stuck giving minutes to the Trash Brothers (Nader and Semi) when we could've filled those spots with veteran players who could help us win now.

« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

So true. Nader apologists think it's okay for him to be abysmal because he's the 15th guy on the roster.

It's unfortunate that we are stuck giving minutes to the Trash Brothers (Nader and Semi) when we could've filled those spots with veteran players who could help us win now.
Here's a short illustrative example on roster building.

10th-15th men on this year's Boston Celtics (based on total mins played): Ojeleye, Larkin, Nader, Monroe, Yabusele, (random G-League dude).

10th-15th men on your 2007-2008 Celtics: Powe, Cassell, PJ Brown, Scalabrine, Pollard, Pruitt.

I sense a bit of discrepancy in terms of talent and experience there.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I don't think it makes me an apologist to say he's not good but shows the potential to get better.

Being the 15th man doesn't make it ok that he isn't that good yet but it should adjust expectations. For some reason though, among some on this board, he can do no right. Just setting foot on the floor elicits complaints in game threads even when he's playing well. It makes no sense to me given his actual position on the team hierarchy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I don't think it makes me an apologist to say he's not good but shows the potential to get better.
That's the point, he doesn't. He's slow, gangly, doesn't have great handles, has the slowest release ever, and (as evidenced by last night) buckles spectacularly under pressure.

He's also 24, which in NBA terms means he's close to a finished product. Let's cut the positive psychology nonsense and call a spade a spade.

« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
That's the point, he doesn't. He's slow, gangly, doesn't have great handles, has the slowest release ever, and (as evidenced by last night) buckles spectacularly under pressure.

He's also 24, which in NBA terms means he's close to a finished product. Let's cut the positive psychology nonsense and call a spade a spade.

It's nonsense to think that someone who's only played 36 NBA games can get better?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2018, 10:56:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

That's the issue. His upside is so limited because of his age. I have no issue sacrificing a spot for a young player with upside, but that's not Nader. Not only does he have marginal athleticism (particularly his lateral quickness), but he doesn't have one skill (shooting, passing, defense, etc.) that is even above average.

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

It's nonsense to think that someone who's only played 36 NBA games can get better?
Many folks around here seem to think that improvement is more or less a given if you're young or inexperienced. It isn't.

Based on what I see from Nader, he's unlikely to become much better than what he is. A 24-year old with 1.5 years of pro experience isn't magically going to develop quick release, foot speed, or ball handling. Or grow 2 inches and play PF. Sometimes a spade is just a spade and that's ok.

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Not really.  He didn't get minutes in college until he was a junior/senior, so he's "young" in terms of basketball experience.  One year in the D League.  Most guys peak at around 28.  Some guys are late bloomers.

I don't know that he'll get better, but I trust the judgement of Stevens and Ainge, who see him every in practice and have a far better idea of whether he's improving or not.

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Many folks around here seem to think that improvement is more or less a given if you're young or inexperienced. It isn't.

Based on what I see from Nader, he's unlikely to become much better than what he is. A 24-year old with 1.5 years of pro experience isn't magically going to develop quick release, foot speed, or ball handling. Or grow 2 inches and play PF. Sometimes a spade is just a spade.

Nader will not be on the team next year.  He is a fringe NBA player.  Not a fan, not impressed and do not think he will ever be a rotational player.

« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Not really.  He didn't get minutes in college until he was a junior/senior, so he's "young" in terms of basketball experience.  One year in the D League.  Most guys peak at around 28.  Some guys are late bloomers.

I don't know that he'll get better, but I trust the judgement of Stevens and Ainge, who see him every in practice and have a far better idea of whether he's improving or not.
Yes, really. At that age, your body type isn't going to change drastically, and things like basic skills and muscle memory aren't mysteriously going to materialize just because  you missed on the time when you should have been developing him.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:17:45 AM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Yes, really. At that age, your body type isn't going to change drastically, and things like basic skills and muscle memory aren't mysteriously going to materialize just because  you missed on the time when you should have been developing him.

What you're saying is simply not true. Lots of players improve after they're 24.

Manu Ginobili was a 25 year old rookie who averaged 7.6 ppg and made big improvements in the 2 yeas after. Steve Nash wasn't a full time starter until he was 26 and didn't have his best season until he was 31. Victor Oladipo looks like a different player from last season (when he was 24) to this season. Gordon Hayward improved his efficiency numbers across the board from his age 25 season to his age 26 season. Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.

Players develop at different rates and different ages. This is not to say that Nader will definitely get better, only that there is no reason to dismiss him after just 36 NBA games. Your assertion that player don't get better after 24 years old has no basis.

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

What you're saying is simply not true. Lots of players improve after they're 24.

Manu Ginobili was a 25 year old rookie who averaged 7.6 ppg and made big improvements in the 2 yeas after. Steve Nash wasn't a full time starter until he was 26 and didn't have his best season until he was 31. Victor Oladipo looks like a different player from last season (when he was 24) to this season. Gordon Hayward improved his efficiency numbers across the board from his age 25 season to his age 26 season. Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.

Players develop at different rates and different ages. This is not to say that Nader will definitely get better, only that there is no reason to dismiss him after just 36 NBA games. Your assertion that player don't get better after 24 years old has no basis.

Yeah well he still sucks.

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

This 100%.  Blaming Nader for the loss yesterday is missing the forest for the trees.  We don't have Kylie, Jaylen, Smart, Theis, Gordon....so obviously it is Naders fault when we lose. Smh

If Nader is the worst player to ever wear a C's uniform then why are you all expecting him to win games for us when we are this short handed?  Why don't you blame everything on Semi as well, as it is his first year in the NBA as well and he hasn't single handedly won games for us before?

All this complaining about Nader is misdirected.  If Nader was completely useless wouldn't Brad and Danny have already waived him and picked up someone else?  I am getting tired of people bashing players that give effort and do their best.

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2018, 12:33:49 PM »

Online ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
We have half our team out and we're going to bag on a fringe NBA player because he's been thrusted into the rotation? I felt bad for the kid when he missed those free throws you could tell the moment was too big for him. Each one he missed he felt his NBA career getting cut short.

These fringe guys have very little room for error because they get very few minutes to prove they belong. He's a hard worker and is being rewarded for such and I like that about Brad's system if you work hard you get your opportunity.

I'll never bag on someone who works hard but things didn't fall their way, it happens in every aspect of life not just basketball.
ok fine