Author Topic: ECF Game 5 Pistons at Celtics 5/28 8:30 PM ESPN  (Read 97335 times)

ECF Game 5 Pistons at Celtics 5/28 8:30 PM ESPN
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:13:45 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Detroit Pistons (2-2, 10-5) at Boston Celtics (2-2, 10-8)
Eastern Conference Finals Game 5
Wednesday, May 28
8:30 PM ET
TV:ESPN
TD Banknorth Garden   

Probable Starting Matchups
PG Rondo vs Billups
 Rajon Rondo PPG 11.1 RPG 4.20 APG 6.6 EFF + 15.76
      Chauncey Billups PPG 14.7 RPG 2.80 APG 5.3 EFF + 15.08

SG Allen vs Hamilton 
 Ray Allen PPG 13.3 RPG 3.40 APG 2.9 EFF + 12.06
Rip Hamilton PPG 21.6 RPG 4.60 APG 3.6 EFF + 18.50

SF   Pierce vs Prince 
Paul Pierce PPG 18.9 RPG 4.80 APG 4.2 EFF + 16.82
Tayshaun Prince PPG 16.0 RPG 6.20 APG 3.4 EFF + 19.00

PF    Garnett vs McDyess 
 Kevin Garnett PPG 20.9 RPG 10.20 APG 3.5 EFF + 26.76
Antonio McDyess PPG 8.6 RPG 7.10 APG 0.9 EFF + 13.14

C  Perkins vs Wallace 
Kendrick Perkins PPG 6.4 RPG 6.20 APG 0.6 EFF + 11.24
Rasheed Wallace PPG 13.5 RPG 6.40 APG 1.8 EFF + 15.07

Off the Bench:
Eddie House,  James Posey, Leon Powe,  Big Baby Davis, Tony Allen,   PJ Brown, Sam Cassell

Injuries
Scott Pollard, ankle, out

Inactive
Brian Scalabrine, Gabe Pruitt

Off the Bench
Jason Maxiel,  Arron Afflalo, Linsdey Hunter, Jarvis Hayes,   Rodney Stuckey,  Theo Ratiliff, Juan Dixon, Amir Johnson,

Injuries
None

Inactive

Juan Dixon,  Cheikh Samb,   Walter Hermann

Key Matchups
  vs   
Rajon Rondo vs Chauncey Billups
This remains the key matchup in this series.  It seems that as Rondo and Billups go, so goes the team.  In games1 and 3 Rondo out played Billups and the Celtics won.  In games 2 and 4 Billups out played Rondo and the Pistons won.  Rondo must be aggressive in bringing the ball up and in running the offense.  He must also be aggressive on defense to keep Billups from getting his game going. 

vs     
Kevin Garnett vs Antonio McDyess
McDyess has been giving the Pistons energy and has been hurting the Celtics on both ends of the court.  KG must do beeter to defend him and also must look for his shot as well.  The Celtics need more than 16 points and 10 rebounds from KG for them to win this, especially with McDyess putting up numbers like 21 and 16. 

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Rip Hamilton
 So far in this series, Rip Hamilton is having his way with the Celtics while Ray Allen has been struggling.  Ray had a good all around game in game 3 doing all the little things to help the team win and the Celtics will need more of that from him along with playing better defense on Rip. 

Keys to the Game
Energy, Intensity, Focus, Aggressiveness The Celtics must come out with all of the above.  They have to get a fast start and maintain their intensity throughout the game.  The team that plays with more intensity and energy wins the game.  The Celtics also must keep their focus and not let the Pistons defense take them out of their game. 

DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!     This series is going to come down to who plays the best defense.   All the games the Celtics have lost have 1 thing in common.  They did not play defense in any of them.  In game 4, the Pistons shot 51% and the Celtics won't win many games allowing their opponents to shoot over 50%.  They must clamp down on defense and play the team defense that got them here.  They know how to do it but they seem to lose their focus.   The team that plays the most consistent defense will win this series. 

Ball Movement  The Celtics had only 12 assists in game 4.  They must get back to moving the ball and finding the open man.  When they move the ball, they can beat the Pistons' press, but too often in the losses, they had too many players trying to do it on their own.  Too much dribbling and too much standing around.  They have to move the ball and find the open man. 

Keep Their Composure  The Celtics got rattled by the Pistons' defense and turned the ball over 14 times.  They must keep their composure and not allow the Pistons defense and pressure to take them out of their game. 

X-Factor
Bench Play
The Celtics need their bench to step up.  The Big 3 can't do it by themselves.   They must have one or two players on the bench to step up and have a good game.   Sam Cassell must play better.  They need more than 0 points and 0 assists from the back up point guard in 17 minutes.     The Pistons' bench has stepped up their play with Maxiell and Stuckey both having big games.  The Celtics need someone to step up as well. 

Re: ECF Game 5 Pistons at Celtics 5/28 8:30 PM ESPN
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Another must win for the C's. Big game tomorrow night.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
A new day, game day.  I feel good today, glad to move on from game 4.  All of the negativity from game 4 is gone.  Like KG always says, it is what it is.  We got homecourt advantage back, and now must protect it with everything we've got.  This is all we know as a group in the playoffs, long grueling series.  We've had two game 5 successes at home in this same situation, let's do it one more time.

Thank God I'm working 1-7:30.  Perfect time to keep myself occupied and then come back for a little pregame and then tip off. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »

Offline dorschrm

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
Make sure you all read the articles in the Boston papers today.

The one theme that has been so utterly consistent throughout is Urgency.

The way that Paul Pierce and PJ Brown, two very respected veterans, have spoken persuades me to believe that this team is coming out tonight with a fire in their eyes that we have yet to see in this playoffs.

The Finals are within reach, the team can start to smell it, and they're going to go get it.

"Pierce was blunt with his teammates. He told them they needed to play as if it were the last game of their careers because none of them know whether they'll have this opportunity again"

"What I try to tell guys is, 'Don't look at the scoreboard. Don't worry about us being up in the series. Just play every game, every moment, every possession like it's your last,' " said Brown.

Celtics practiced yesterday...Pistons didn't

Urgency...

Celtics by 21, and they're going to take this series in 6.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »

Offline Aussie Celtic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Somewhat surprisingly, the games just keep getting bigger.

Wishing the team all the very best of luck, once again it will come down to who wants it more and we are certainly hungry.

Back home, let's hope the crowd is a great sixth man.

Go the Green !!!!

Still cheering.

Cheers

Aussie

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Rocky's luck seems to be running out. So here is my new good luck charm. Please let him be yours too:

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The fire will be there! This team has its ups and downs. They're still trying to figure each other out. (The playoffs are a whole different level from the reg season.) But they also want this badly.

Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Rocky's luck seems to be running out. So here is my new good luck charm. Please let him be yours too:

Oh come one Chief!  Ralph Macchio?

If we're going with hard to buy tough guys why not just go with:

Yup

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Yo...Don't give up on Rocky

Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:30:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
None tougher ...

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Came to see who else can't stand the excitement.  Nice to know I'm in such good company pacing in front of the screen.  Let's get'em, boys!

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 07:36:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Came to see who else can't stand the excitement.  Nice to know I'm in such good company pacing in front of the screen.  Let's get'em, boys!

...54 minutes to go. Feeling that knot forming in my stomach, adrenaline tingling my fingertips...

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 07:40:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
im focusing on my new crazy dynasty idea thread to pass the time and distract myself. go vote for players if you guys get bored.

i can't stand it, i wish they'd just tip it...
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Just got my girls to bed!  I'm way ahead of schedule.  Not sure what to do.

The dishes?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Yup