Author Topic: How could this team improve?  (Read 5000 times)

How could this team improve?
« on: May 05, 2008, 05:32:44 AM »

Offline celticnorespect

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I know that we are going to the second round going against the Cavaliers, but I always like to think ahead.  How could this team improve?

To answer that we have to look at our weakness:  age.  I think the person who's age is affecting him most is Ray Allen, he is older than the other two and his age seems to be showing quite a bit.

With Rondo and Powe we have two young players that can contribute for along time (especially Rondo)

We need someone that can run in the backcourt with Rondo, that likes to drive and cut and can be Rondo's running mate.

Another way to improve in Rondo himself, he needs to step up and take control of this team, he is a special player and his ball-handling ability and play making ability, coupled with Garnett, Pierce and Allen gives him a lot more opportunity.

Also Sam Cassell isn't what he used to be, so we need another backup point, possibly Gabe Pruitt.

That's about all that I see, but overall I don't see Ray Allen being all that affective next year. 

Re: How could this team improve?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »

Offline stanthompsonismyhero

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • The Boston Three Party!

To answer that we have to look at our weakness:  age. 
I think our weakness is Doc Rivers.  It took seven games to beat Atlanta, and the C's had 29 more regular season wins than the Hawks.  That's a coaching problem, not a problem with the players, Allen or anyone else, being too old.  I can understand losing game 3 in ATL, that's the Hawks being psyched up to play their first playoff game at home and the Celtics having a letdown after two dominating wins to start the series.  But there's no way we should have lost game 4, that one is Doc's fault. 

If the Celtics don't win the championship this year, Doc needs to go.  Because you're right, age will become a factor, and the Boston Three Party has a 3-5 year window, including this season, in which to win a championship.  They can't waste another year hoping that Doc will finally become a great head coach. 
Curt Schilling: "It's a stupid idiotic comment to make."

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:01:41 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

To answer that we have to look at our weakness:  age. 
I think our weakness is Doc Rivers.  It took seven games to beat Atlanta, and the C's had 29 more regular season wins than the Hawks.  That's a coaching problem, not a problem with the players, Allen or anyone else, being too old.  I can understand losing game 3 in ATL, that's the Hawks being psyched up to play their first playoff game at home and the Celtics having a letdown after two dominating wins to start the series.  But there's no way we should have lost game 4, that one is Doc's fault. 

If the Celtics don't win the championship this year, Doc needs to go.  Because you're right, age will become a factor, and the Boston Three Party has a 3-5 year window, including this season, in which to win a championship.  They can't waste another year hoping that Doc will finally become a great head coach. 
I agree with you here.You said it all.I would like to see our bench change a few players over the summer.We definitely could use some quality size off the bench to help Powe,and a 2g to back up Ray,if TA is not coming back healthy(100%).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:40:21 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:32:38 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think Ray will be fine a couple or so more years. He might want to take fewer practice shots before the games. At his age his arms might be suffering from fatigue.

You can overdo it too.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I agree about the Doc stuff.

Also though we need to add an athletic wing defender that is more consistent (or less damaging) than Tony Allen on defense.

Maybe a guy like Ime Udoka, or Trevor Ariza (both I understand unattainable)

I think the guy that will best address this and that will be the best addition to our squad is Bill Walker.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think we've got our guy in Tony Allen.  He will come back stronger and more confident next season mark my words.  If he spends an off season working on his jumper he should be a much more confident player (which was really the number one reason for all his boneheaded plays and turnovers IMO).  He has already got the D and the natural athleticism and he clearly was the inner-drive to be good.  All he needs is a good offseason where he really dedicates himself and improves on his weaknesses.

Also I don't think his knee was ever really 100% this year.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think we've got our guy in Tony Allen.  He will come back stronger and more confident next season mark my words.  If he spends an off season working on his jumper he should be a much more confident player (which was really the number one reason for all his boneheaded plays and turnovers IMO).  He has already got the D and the natural athleticism and he clearly was the inner-drive to be good.  All he needs is a good offseason where he really dedicates himself and improves on his weaknesses.

I agree that his knee may not be 100% but I think that Tony Allen will ask for too much money and the fact that he is 26 years old should come into play. We could get better value out of that money by going for a younger guy and minimizing the role, I mean Tony only plays 10 mins a night tops w/ Ray getting 34+?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum

I agree that his knee may not be 100% but I think that Tony Allen will ask for too much money and the fact that he is 26 years old should come into play. We could get better value out of that money by going for a younger guy and minimizing the role, I mean Tony only plays 10 mins a night tops w/ Ray getting 34+?
I dont see how TA could ask for any more than 3 or 4 million dollars (which I think could be a steal for him).  He has had an injury-plagued career and is coming off the worst season of his career.  If anything I think he might take a cheap 1 year deal to try and earn a big contract.  I also think his minutes will increase next year.  Ray will be 33 and who knows where House will be.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1) How about constancy? 

Play on the road close to how you play at home.

Use a set rotation.

2) Let the young guys play.

Both Perkins and Rondo could and should have played more minutes

3) Composure

To many Ts.  To much carrying on by veteran leaders. 

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
1) How about constancy? 

Use a set rotation.

3) Composure

I agree that Rondo and Perk could play more but at the expense of whose minutes?  I also like the emotion being displayed by our leaders.  We could lose the T's but if that means that we lose our passion and emotion than its not worth it.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1) How about constancy? 

Use a set rotation.

3) Composure

I agree that Rondo and Perk could play more but at the expense of whose minutes?  I also like the emotion being displayed by our leaders.  We could lose the T's but if that means that we lose our passion and emotion than its not worth it.

Perkins can play more at the expense of the 4th bigman.  And Powe in the 2nd half.

Rondo can play more at the expense of Cassell.  Or play Cassll and Rondo together for 2-3 minutes to give Ray an extra rest if the other teams plays with a smaller SG (Atlanta didn't)

Emotion is fine. 

Throwing headbands and shoving officials are not.  Chasing the other team back to the other bench to flash hand gestures is not.  Diving into confrontations and making it worse (Cassell) in not. 

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
1) How about constancy? 

Use a set rotation.

3) Composure

Perkins can play more at the expense of the 4th bigman.  And Powe in the 2nd half.

Rondo can play more at the expense of Cassell.  Or play Cassll and Rondo together for 2-3 minutes to give Ray an extra rest if the other teams plays with a smaller SG (Atlanta didn't)

Emotion is fine. 

Throwing headbands and shoving officials are not.  Chasing the other team back to the other bench to flash hand gestures is not.  Diving into confrontations and making it worse (Cassell) in not. 
You don't think that reducing Cassell's minutes would upset him.  He clearly thinks he's better than he is and there have already been rumblings about his minutes.  I realize that he needs to learn his role and accept it but that doesn't neccesarily mean that he will.  The last thing we want right now is a moody Sam Cassell.

I hear you on composure.  Had Pierce not thrown his headband we might not have even had a game 7.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
How could we improve?

Find mins for TA.  I know he is turover prone but he solves so many problems, offensively and defensively, on that stagnant second unit.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
One of the best things that could happen to this team in the near future is for Powe to
develop and sharpen his inside game.  This team is in need of a physical inside scorer.  Powe
is a little bit undersized but that's who we've got.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »

Offline celticnorespect

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I like Powe, he's a great player.  He could be a starter for us in the future, has a lot going for him. 

Pierce and Garnett have another 5 years or so, Allen not so much, we need people to fill the hole he causes, still a great player but his best years are definitely behind him.