Author Topic: Sox sign Victorino  (Read 17412 times)

Sox sign Victorino
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Per ESPN Boston:

The Boston Red Sox reached a three-year, $39 million agreement with free-agent outfielder Shane Victorino on Tuesday, according to a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

The deal is pending a physical.

The terms of the agreement are exactly the same as the deal Boston reached with free-agent first baseman/catcher Mike Napoli on Monday.

The 32-year-old Victorino, traded in midseason from the Philadelphia Phillies to the Los Angeles Dodgers, had a down season. He batted a combined .255 with 11 homers, 55 RBIs and a .704 OPS.

Victorino adds speed, Napoli power, but are they enough? Are they the right pieces?

What do you guys think about these moves?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Sox sign Victorino
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »

Offline Mattybriand

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Not a fan of victorino.. That is all :-\

Call me crazy but I'd offer Josh Hamilton 4 years

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'd go all out for Josh Hamilton as well, although they need a top tier starting pitcher more imo.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:04:40 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Paid waaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't really care for either move. Both players are complimentary players, NOT players that will help win a world series.

I too would've gone after Hamilton and if they didn't sign him, I would've gone after Swisher. Swisher proved he can play in the AL East the past 3 years with the Yanks.

Speaking of former Yankees, I also would've rather had Russell Martin over Napoli.

Boo to both moves!

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Paid waaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

I agree, but that is how it works today in the FA market. Also, the deals are only for three years, so they won't hamper us forever. Victorino certainly isn't worth the money, but I am a huge fan of his attitude and think he will help bring back the old Red Sox personality.

And, yes, count me in as someone who would have gone all out for Josh Hamilton. We could have looked at it like a Gonzalez for Hamilton 'trade', while dumping some bad contracts in the process.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd rather have Adrian Gonzalez than Napoli + Victorino.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Eh, I never really got into Gonzalez. He seemed like a National League player not cut out for Boston.

I would've rather they went after Prince Fielder a couple  years ago. Sure, defense is weak but what a bat. I think he would've been a better fit in Boston than Gonzalez

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Rival officials believe that the Red Sox are laying the groundwork for a trade of Jacoby Ellsbury, for the pitching they need.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Napoli and Victorino are mid level talent at best and yet they both get 8 figure salaries for three years each.

Sorry, but this is some of the absolutely stupidest signings I have seen this team make since the days of the Lou Gorman Sox. $13 million a year for mediocre at best level talent is a huge waste of money.

The Sox are going to be another last place team again next year that will have a huge payroll because they are giving star money to role playing players at best.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Napoli and Victorino are mid level talent at best and yet they both get 8 figure salaries for three years each.

Sorry, but this is some of the absolutely stupidest signings I have seen this team make since the days of the Lou Gorman Sox. $13 million a year for mediocre at best level talent is a huge waste of money.

The Sox are going to be another last place team again next year that will have a huge payroll because they are giving star money to role playing players at best.

Yup. When you add up the money they spent on Victorino, Napoli, Ross, Ryan Gomes and Ortiz, they could've signed Hamilton and Greinke

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yup. When you add up the money they spent on Victorino, Napoli, Ross, Ryan Gomes and Ortiz, they could've signed Hamilton and Greinke

they better have some great players coming out of the farm system soon, that's all I've got to say about that

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'd rather have Napoli + Victorino than Gonzalez + Beckett + Crawford + Punto.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'd go all out for Josh Hamilton as well, although they need a top tier starting pitcher more imo.

Kinda my thoughts. In spite of all the injuries the Red Sox suffered last year, their offense was rarely a problem. They're in desperate need of starting pitching.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Could not agree more. I wanted Napoli 2 years ago because I was tired of him killing Sox pitchers all the time. But Napoli is a career .260 hitter with 25-27HR power on the wrong side of 30. And if Napoli is questionable, Victorino is outright insanity. I mean 39mil for OF defense and baserunning?? At least if you're gonna overpay, overpay for a power bat.

I get that you need to field a team and you have to spend money somewhere but these guys are worth 7-8mil any other year but this one. Hell, we could've kept Ross for 3 yrs at 8 or 9 mil i think.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...