Author Topic: 2020 Mock Draft 1ish month out  (Read 20603 times)

Re: 2020 Mock Draft 1ish month out
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kentucky ball players scare the crap out of me.  It's hit or miss, and many have there been a lot of misses. 

Lots of hits, too.  What don’t you like about Maxey?

The guard hits (Herro, Booker) were much more efficient FG/FT than Maxey at Kentucky.

Devin Booker was a role player at Kentucky on a team that had the Harrison twins (who weren't gonna give up their shots), WCS and KAT. Maxey was their go-to scorer.

Maxey has already demonstrated much more defensive chops than those guys too.

I didn't say volume, I said "efficiency."  Usage doesn't account for an eFG difference of nearly 10%  (.571 vs .477). 

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2020, 03:08:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With all the big trades going down, unless we can consolidate our picks, we better hope for some good draft and stash like Bolmaro at 26 ( who may not even be available then).

At 14, we may also have to consider more seriously Poku unless another player who can contribute right away is available. Such as Nesmith or Bey.

Starting to worry about our draft options.

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2020, 03:16:45 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
With all the big trades going down, unless we can consolidate our picks, we better hope for some good draft and stash like Bolmaro at 26 ( who may not even be available then).

At 14, we may also have to consider more seriously Poku unless another player who can contribute right away is available. Such as Nesmith or Bey.

Starting to worry about our draft options.
I really don't see the point of panicking. Draft and stash was always gonna be on the table, and I think Bolmaro is not only a good choice, but also has a good chance of being available. Also Poku at 14 would be a huge reach, so I don't think he would be a good choice. Rather go with someone like Hampton at 14, and a solid big like Tillman at 30.

Plus there's still plenty of time for a trade to happen. I would think that many trades will hold off until draft night, when teams have a better idea of who'll be available in the moment.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:22:44 AM by RPGenerate »
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2020, 06:05:33 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Here my mock draft / big board. Don't have time to argue for all positions. But I'll comment on a few below.

Nr   Name   Pos
1   Anthony Edwards   SG
2   James Wiseman   C
3   Killian Hayes   PG
4   LaMelo Ball   PG
5   Devin Vassell   SF
6   Onyeka Okongwu   C
7   Kira Lewis   PG
8   Aleksej Pokusevski   PF
9   RJ Hampton   PG
10   Saddiq Bey   SF
11   Xavier Tillman   C
12   Tyrese Maxey   SG
13   Desmond Bane   SG
14   Tyrese Haliburton   PG
15   Deni Avdija   PF
16   Obi Toppin   PF
17   Tyler Bey   PF
18   Isaac Okoro   SF
19   Aaron Nesmith   SF
20   Paul Reed   PF
21   Precious Achiuwa   C
22   Theo Maledon   PG
23   Josh Green   SG
24   Elijah Hughes   SG
25   Payton Pritchard   PG
26   Cole Anthony   PG
27   Sam Merrill   SF
28   Patrick Williams   PF
29   Tyrell Terry   PG
30   Tre Jones   PG
31   Jalen Smith   PF
32   Leandro Bolmaro   SG
33   Isaiah Stewart   C
34   Grant Riller   PG
35   Immanuel Quickley   SG
36   Jahm'us Ramsey   SG
37   Robert Woodard   PF
38   Zeke Nnaji   C
39   Devon Dotson   PG
40   Jaden McDaniels   PF
41   Vernon Carey   C
42   Jay Scrubb   SF
43   Udoka Azubuike   C
44   Cassius Winston   PG
45   Nico Mannion   PG

Comments:

Anthony Edwards (1): I'm fully confident he'll become an All Star with that size and shot creation ability. My clear number one pick, although Ball (ball handling/passing) and Wiseman (length/size) are intriguing.
Devin Vassell (5): I've been high on him for a while, I can see a Jonathan Isaac type of trajectory where his defense will be good and than his offense game will slowly expand.
Kira Lewis (7): He'll need time to develop, but he has pace, court vision and potential on the defensive end. Best served as a back-up point guard initially.
Aleksej Pokusevski ( 8 ): Love his skill set. Could be a unicorn. I'd be fine if the Celtics pick him at 14 as a draft and stash.
Xavier Tillman (11): I have him much higher than the mocks I've seen. He's just such a solid player in all aspects of the game that I can't see him not succeed in the NBA as a starter or high-end rotation player.
Tyrese Maxey (12): His numbers aren't very good, he makes lots of mistakes and he doesn't have the profile to be a very succesful NBA player, but his motor is unbelievable. He's one of those guys I'm sure will get 100% out of his career.
Desmond Bane (13): He's going to be a surprise. Very good shooter, but also a decent playmaker. His wingspan is very poor, but he's strong enough to not get heavily exploited I hope.
Tyrese Haliburton (14): I could be very wrong about him, but I have my doubts on his athletism and shooting form.
Tyler Bey (17): I believe Bey could be the best defender coming out of this draft. If he can become decent from the 3-point-line he'll be a very valuable player.
Payton Pritchard (25): There are questions whether his non-athletic game will translate to the NBA, but I like his clutchness and BBIQ.
Cole Anthony (26): Has tools and I understand if people want to gamble on him. When I see him play he's slow and disoriented.
Sam Merrill (27): I'm not the only one who wants him. Very impressed with his game, despite his clear limitations.
Patrick Williams (28): Fools gold. Has no game. People project skills on him that he doesn't possess.   
Jalen Smith (31): Really don't buy his ability to defend PnR. Not sure what his position/role will be. Stay away.

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2020, 07:51:04 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm beginning to think that a big fat nothing will get done tonight.

We'll pick at 14, trade 26 and VP for a future 1st, and pick at 30 and 47, both probably two way deals.  Hayward will opt in and get extended tomorrow, maybe what has been talked about, somewhere in the, 4 @ 24 range.  This means the 14 better be spot on with someone who is ready to contribute now.

Then we sign Giles on a team friendly deal.

Whoo hoo, excitement.  </sarcasm>
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2020, 07:55:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm beginning to think that a big fat nothing will get done tonight.

We'll pick at 14, trade 26 and VP for a future 1st, and pick at 30 and 47, both probably two way deals.  Hayward will opt in and get extended tomorrow, maybe what has been talked about, somewhere in the, 4 @ 24 range.  This means the 14 better be spot on with someone who is ready to contribute now.

Then we sign Giles on a team friendly deal.

Whoo hoo, excitement.  </sarcasm>
That would be a very exciting draft night if we nail our selections at #14, #30 and #47.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
ESPN's latest mock has the C's taking:

#14: Tyrese Maxey (Hampton goes 15)
#26: Leandro Bolmaro
#30: Xavier Tillman Sr.

I'll throw up in my mouth with this, sorry guys. 

Kentucky ball players scare the crap out of me.  It's hit or miss, and many have there been a lot of misses. 

Got to take Hampton there if he is on the board:

"A consensus top-five recruit, Hampton spurned Kansas and Memphis to join the Australian NBL's Next Stars program. While battling injury over the course of the season, Hampton was still evaluated quite extensively by NBA scouts and decision-makers, showing glimpses of his long-term potential given his speed, explosiveness and scoring instincts. -- Schmitz

Strengths

Quick, explosive athlete with nice size for a combo guard. Has grown three inches over the past few years and is far from a finished product physically. Plays above the rim with ease in space. Explosive first step with the ability to shift gears on a dime. Uses Eurosteps well in the open floor.

Versatile offensive game. Can play on or off the ball in a pinch. At his best putting pressure on the rim with his speed in transition and the half court. Streaky, yet developing shooter who can make a spot 3 or a midrange pull-up with nice elevation. Holds quite a bit of playmaking potential. Sound feel for the game. At his best in drive-and-kick situations.

Fundamentals need work but has the tools to defend either backcourt spot in time. Quick feet when fully engaged. Positional length allows him to contest shots on the perimeter. Covers ground quickly on closeouts.

Improvement areas

Solid foundation overall but doesn't quite have one elite skill. Needs to become a more consistent 3-point shooter, especially off the dribble. Will turn down rhythm 3s once he misses one or two. Handle slows him down against elite defenders.

Can stand to toughen up both as a finisher and defender. Shot only 3.6 free throws per 40 minutes despite his athletic tools. Gets taken advantage of by stronger guards defensively.

Defensive technique needs work. Gets hit on screens far too often, more due to fundamentals than lack of strength. Doesn't direct the ball handler in one position or another. Narrow base and hunched frame. Focus comes and goes off the ball.

Projected role: Creating combo guard"

Interesting, The Ringer has Maxey's comparison to: Kyle Lowry, Bradley Beal, Carsen Edwards

If we have Edwards on the team, do we need Maxey?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2020, 10:38:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
ESPN's latest mock has the C's taking:

#14: Tyrese Maxey (Hampton goes 15)
#26: Leandro Bolmaro
#30: Xavier Tillman Sr.

I'll throw up in my mouth with this, sorry guys. 

Got to take Hampton there if he is on the board:

"A consensus top-five recruit, Hampton spurned Kansas and Memphis to join the Australian NBL's Next Stars program. While battling injury over the course of the season, Hampton was still evaluated quite extensively by NBA scouts and decision-makers, showing glimpses of his long-term potential given his speed, explosiveness and scoring instincts. -- Schmitz

Strengths

Quick, explosive athlete with nice size for a combo guard. Has grown three inches over the past few years and is far from a finished product physically. Plays above the rim with ease in space. Explosive first step with the ability to shift gears on a dime. Uses Eurosteps well in the open floor.

Versatile offensive game. Can play on or off the ball in a pinch. At his best putting pressure on the rim with his speed in transition and the half court. Streaky, yet developing shooter who can make a spot 3 or a midrange pull-up with nice elevation. Holds quite a bit of playmaking potential. Sound feel for the game. At his best in drive-and-kick situations.

Fundamentals need work but has the tools to defend either backcourt spot in time. Quick feet when fully engaged. Positional length allows him to contest shots on the perimeter. Covers ground quickly on closeouts.

Improvement areas

Solid foundation overall but doesn't quite have one elite skill. Needs to become a more consistent 3-point shooter, especially off the dribble. Will turn down rhythm 3s once he misses one or two. Handle slows him down against elite defenders.

Can stand to toughen up both as a finisher and defender. Shot only 3.6 free throws per 40 minutes despite his athletic tools. Gets taken advantage of by stronger guards defensively.

Defensive technique needs work. Gets hit on screens far too often, more due to fundamentals than lack of strength. Doesn't direct the ball handler in one position or another. Narrow base and hunched frame. Focus comes and goes off the ball.

Projected role: Creating combo guard"

Interesting, The Ringer has Maxey's comparison to: Kyle Lowry, Bradley Beal, Carsen Edwards

If we have Edwards on the team, do we need Maxey?
All those comparisons are off. Maxey is more like Sexton or Coby White, with slightly less shooting.