Author Topic: Nike and Kaepernick  (Read 32522 times)

Re: Nike and Kaepernick
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
“Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.”

Is it just me, or does the slogan not make sense if you have even just a vague understanding of Kaepernick’s situation? Yes, he kneeled during the anthem to protest against cops harassing/killing black men. However, in no way, shape or form did he ever imagine that his protest would lead him to not playing in the NFL again. There were also reports of him promising to not kneel during the anthem if he came back. I’m starting to get the impression that he would rather win his lawsuit against the NFL for monetary purposes, than to actually just play again.

What reports were those?

Do you have anything credible behind that?   Otherwise these sort of comments just end up as unsupported aspersions that aren't really fair to the target.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18805744/colin-kaepernick-stand-national-anthem-next-season

As already noted in this thread, that particular article cites anonymous "sources" that were subsequently refuted by Kaepernick.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Is it just me, or does the slogan not make sense if you have even just a vague understanding of Kaepernick’s situation? Yes, he kneeled during the anthem to protest against cops harassing/killing black men. However, in no way, shape or form did he ever imagine that his protest would lead him to not playing in the NFL again. There were also reports of him promising to not kneel during the anthem if he came back. I’m starting to get the impression that he would rather win his lawsuit against the NFL for monetary purposes, than to actually just play again.

What reports were those?

Do you have anything credible behind that?   Otherwise these sort of comments just end up as unsupported aspersions that aren't really fair to the target.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18805744/colin-kaepernick-stand-national-anthem-next-season

As already noted in this thread, that particular article cites anonymous "sources" that were subsequently refuted by Kaepernick.

It kind of amazes me how people keep citing this idea that he was gonna stop kneeling, or that he turned down a contract offer from the Broncos when trying to pick apart Kaepernick. The first has been refuted by Kaepernick, the second was a contract offer that included a 5 million dollar pay cut for him and so of course he turned it down.  As a board full of people many f whom I assume are familiar with the misrepresentation of facts surrounding deflate-gate I would think people would try a little harder to get their facts straight.

Not that Kaepernick if perfect, his poor choice of socks prove that, but maybe we can just acknowledge he is sincere in his beliefs and take the discussion from there.

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

What reports were those?

It kind of amazes me how people keep citing this idea that he was gonna stop kneeling, or that he turned down a contract offer from the Broncos when trying to pick apart Kaepernick. The first has been refuted by Kaepernick, the second was a contract offer that included a 5 million dollar pay cut for him and so of course he turned it down.  As a board full of people many f whom I assume are familiar with the misrepresentation of facts surrounding deflate-gate I would think people would try a little harder to get their facts straight.

Not that Kaepernick if perfect, his poor choice of socks prove that, but maybe we can just acknowledge he is sincere in his beliefs and take the discussion from there.
He was either going to be traded or cut, so that pay cut argument is nonsense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
NFL teams unanimously agreed Monday to implement a local matching funds component of the league's social justice initiative, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, citing a league source.

The news comes during the Annual League Meeting in Orlando as Monday's focus for owners and executives was on implementing the league's social justice platform. Owners discussed the actions taken in support of the platform during the 2017 season, per Rapoport.

The NFL is committing $90 million to a new social justice initiative that supports efforts and programs to combat social inequality. In a memo sent to all 32 teams in early December, the league said it plans to work closely with players, teams and other groups in the new and expanded community improvement program. The NFL Foundation contributed $3 million in initial funding for the program.

Rapoport added there will be continued discussion of a game day policy for the national anthem, but no rule changes were proposed and no votes were taken Monday. The league current has no mandate that players must stand for the anthem.

This will likely be a subject of ongoing discussion, according to Rapoport, including at the Spring League Meeting in May.

Why isn't this getting more coverage.  This is the perfect compromise.  The league expands it program to address the issue that the players feel so strongly about.

I read or heard that the issue is that while everyone agrees that breast cancer (for example) is a problem, not everyone believes that there is a social justice problem.  I also  think that some people view anything pro-social justice to be anti-law enforcement somehow.

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2018, 11:06:30 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Here’s my thing: I think it’s crazy to get upset about players taking a knee to protest police brutality and racial inequality given how many much bigger problems there are.  If we lived in a better world (because it wouldn’t be close to a perfect world if people still had to protest police brutality and racial injustice) where the government didn’t send off thousands of soldiers to die in largely pointless and ineffective wars and then didn’t neglect them when they got back, then fine, get upset about kneeling if you’re really that upset. But until those same people actually start protesting those far more serious problems, those people need to stop pretending they care about the troops.

Moreover, anyone who supports a man for President who 1) dodged military service because of “bone spurs,” 2) could send thousands of more young men and women to die because of his intemperate nature, and 3) doesn’t even know the words to the National Anthem, should be forbidden from ever complaining about some football players kneeling down during the song. 45 disgraces the flag and this country before breakfast most days than every kneeling football player has done collectively up to this point. And football players should not be held to higher standards than the President (though the official GOP position now seems to be that everyone should be held to a higher standard than the President).

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2018, 11:59:00 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
It's a small sample size, but it appears the campaign has had a positive or neutral effect on sales so far. Nike must see this as a win.

https://twitter.com/maximlott/status/1038497330046095360
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2018, 06:53:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Why isn't this getting more coverage.  This is the perfect compromise.

Because the media seeks to divide not unite.  Controversy makes for a better story.

« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This ad campaign is focused on "sacrifice" and I think they are missing a key point. When you sacrifice something you are willingly giving it up  for the sake of making a statement about something you feel is of higher value. Kap is not actually sacrificing anything as he is suing the NFL for the thing that he supposedly is willingly giving up. He wants both things. He thinks he should be able to break the rules and not suffer the consequences of his actions. If you make your stand and then demand that you get the thing that you were giving up anyway you aren't sacrificing anything at all. This is a key theme in today's young generation. They want freedom of choice, but no consequences to their actions. While I think that there is definitely a need to make changes to how the police in many areas deal with criminals, I also think it is important to understand that the large majority of police are not this way. Disrespecting something a majority of this country hold dear and then screaming racism when they are upset about it is not a way to obtain meaningful change. It just creates further divide. Unfortunately the puppets above are getting exactly what they want. Control of the masses through division and hatred.

« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Here’s my thing: I think it’s crazy to get upset about players taking a knee to protest police brutality and racial inequality given how many much bigger problems there are.  If we lived in a better world (because it wouldn’t be close to a perfect world if people still had to protest police brutality and racial injustice) where the government didn’t send off thousands of soldiers to die in largely pointless and ineffective wars and then didn’t neglect them when they got back, then fine, get upset about kneeling if you’re really that upset. But until those same people actually start protesting those far more serious problems, those people need to stop pretending they care about the troops.

Moreover, anyone who supports a man for President who 1) dodged military service because of “bone spurs,” 2) could send thousands of more young men and women to die because of his intemperate nature, and 3) doesn’t even know the words to the National Anthem, should be forbidden from ever complaining about some football players kneeling down during the song. 45 disgraces the flag and this country before breakfast most days than every kneeling football player has done collectively up to this point. And football players should not be held to higher standards than the President (though the official GOP position now seems to be that everyone should be held to a higher standard than the President).

TP. Well said.

My late father, who fought with distinction in the Pacific in World War II, told me this during the flag-burning days of the 1960s: "I didn't fight to protect a piece of cloth. I fought to protect the freedoms it represents."

Too bad more people don't get that.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This ad campaign is focused on "sacrifice" and I think they are missing a key point. When you sacrifice something you are willingly giving it up  for the sake of making a statement about something you feel is of higher value. Kap is not actually sacrificing anything as he is suing the NFL for the thing that he supposedly is willingly giving up. He wants both things. He thinks he should be able to break the rules and not suffer the consequences of his actions. If you make your stand and then demand that you get the thing that you were giving up anyway you aren't sacrificing anything at all.

"Willing to sacrifice" is not the same as "throwing away unnecessarily".

Do you honestly think Kaepernick doesn't understand that he very well may NOT win his collusion lawsuit?   No win in court is guaranteed and he's almost certainly been warned by his attorneys to accept that a loss is possible.

Being willing to give that up doesn't mean he should throw it away by not following through with the suit if his case is credible.   If anything, he has a responsibility to his fellows in the NFLPA to fight any attempts at collusion.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This ad campaign is focused on "sacrifice" and I think they are missing a key point. When you sacrifice something you are willingly giving it up  for the sake of making a statement about something you feel is of higher value. Kap is not actually sacrificing anything as he is suing the NFL for the thing that he supposedly is willingly giving up. He wants both things. He thinks he should be able to break the rules and not suffer the consequences of his actions. If you make your stand and then demand that you get the thing that you were giving up anyway you aren't sacrificing anything at all. This is a key theme in today's young generation. They want freedom of choice, but no consequences to their actions. While I think that there is definitely a need to make changes to how the police in many areas deal with criminals, I also think it is important to understand that the large majority of police are not this way. Disrespecting something a majority of this country hold dear and then screaming racism when they are upset about it is not a way to obtain meaningful change. It just creates further divide. Unfortunately the puppets above are getting exactly what they want. Control of the masses through division and hatred.
What?  His protest came first.  In doing so, he was willing to give up his career, and guess what?  No team wanted him after that so his sacrifice was real.

Anybody who sacrifices their career should have a right to try and get it back.  Now if you say he should give up his Nike deal if lands back in the NFL, then okay, I would agree with that.  But until then, the theme of sacrifice in the commercial is perfectly appropriate.

« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

What reports were those?

He was either going to be traded or cut, so that pay cut argument is nonsense.

Well except for  the little detail that he did end up getting that full slaary, and was not in fact cut. Its also worth noting that this was a full six months before he ever even kneeled, so I have no idea why it matters in the context of Kaepernicks kneelins anyway.

Anyway my larger point is this. I wish we could have the conversatins without attacking the messenger. Fox news does this all the time. They see a protest, and immediatey attempt to attack the sincereity or integrity of those protestors either my calling them criminals or saying they were paid. Same thing with Kaeprnck. People insisitng he desnt believe in his on cause by pointing oout the incorrect report that he would stop kneeling, or that hes just in it for money (the nike add), or that he's just doing to impress his girlfriend. Even if all those are true, and I don't think they are at all, it doenst mena the message isn't something worth debating.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:40:06 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

If he didn't want both things, giving one of them up wouldn't be a sacrifice, would it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2018, 11:10:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
FWIW

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nike-stock-closes-time-high-aftermath-colin-kaepernick-ad-campaign-225007582.html

So far this year, Nike is up about 30% and the SP500 about 7%.

Analysts are expecting an earnings boost to Nike in a couple days, due to Kap ad:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/18/look-for-a-kaepernick-sales-bump-in-nikes-earnings-next-week.html

(Note, the contrarian in me thinks it might be a "sell" before the news oppty).
Celtics fan for life.