Author Topic: Online Dating  (Read 21825 times)

Re: Online Dating
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 02:24:52 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Just hit up livelinks and then report back here with all the lurid details. 

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 08:48:10 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
i loved match.com  I met a girl on there that ive been dating almost three years now.  A coworker of mine met his wife on match and my brother in laws best friend, met his wife on there.

Just have fun with all the wrong ones on there until you meet the right one.  i met so many more girls with issues at bars than i ever did on match.  Less games are played with online dating too than trying start a relationship out of thin air at a bar.  Girls have their guards down a lot more because they signed up for online dating, you know what theyre there for, whether it be a relationship or just casual sex.
Greg

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/01/how-to-hack-okcupid/
This is an interesting article I read a couple weeks ago on how a guy "hacked" OKC to get a ton of results.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
KungPoweChicken, I want to warn you, what I'm about to write might come off pretty rough.  I have no problem with you though, all this is just my opinion solely from what you've written in this thread.  Hopefully you take this as constructive criticism.  With that being said...

So many red flags are here, I don't know where to start.

I'm a catch.

Yeah, I do message the most attractive women, but that's only because I know what my equal is and I'm not going to settle for less.

While my list height is about 5'9. I'm really only 5'7. It's just harder for me to land the tallies.

Maybe part of the problem is you think too highly of yourself.  You think you're a catch, but yet you have to lie in your profile?  Part of what you think makes you a catch is that you have a car and a job?  What kind of low class, trashy girls are you after that this would impress them?

If you're really the catch you think you are, it's ALWAYS a buyers market for you.  Chances are you're not really that much of a catch if nobody is buying what you're selling.

Let's just back it up for a second.  This is just what I've observed from you based only on this thread:

1.  You think highly of yourself
2.  You think you're better than others/too good for others
3.  You lie
4.  You're superficial
5.  You hang out on Celticsblog.  (Ok that last one is a joke lol).

You think this is the kind of person people want?  I've met a ton of people who fit think like this, and they're never the catch they think they are.  You probably know girls like that too, you've already alluded to some already, girls who are "6's", they probably think they're "9's".  That list above are turn offs to most people, but that's how you're coming off (at least here).

People with a job, car, hair, and nice body are a dime a dozen.  Literally millions of people can claim this.  That's not a catch.  Is that what you mention in your profile and messages to women?  That's not going to impress too many people.  Again if anything, mentioning these things is a turn off to a lot of people.  A woman can go anywhere and get a guy like that, and if you mention these things you'd come off like a superficial, shallow person.

And how come when you mentioned all your good qualities, you didn't mention anything like sense of humor, personality, down to earth, fun to be around, etc.  These are the qualities people really want.

Seriously, ask yourself this, if you think it's a buyers market for woman, if you think they're getting 10-100 messages a day from different guys, what's going to make you stand out?  What do you bring to the table that some other dude can't?  If a girl gets 20 messages, then at least 10 are going to be from guys with a good looks/car/job/body.  Again, that doesn't really make you a catch, what else do you got?

Online dating is a seller's market for women.

Again, it's ALWAYS a buyers market if you're really a catch.

Feeling brave and want some more advice?  Link your OKC or POF profile.  I bet plenty of us could give you some honest feedback on it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
KungPoweChicken, I want to warn you, what I'm about to write might come off pretty rough.  I have no problem with you though, all this is just my opinion solely from what you've written in this thread.  Hopefully you take this as constructive criticism.  With that being said...

So many red flags are here, I don't know where to start.

I'm a catch.

Yeah, I do message the most attractive women, but that's only because I know what my equal is and I'm not going to settle for less.

While my list height is about 5'9. I'm really only 5'7. It's just harder for me to land the tallies.

Maybe part of the problem is you think too highly of yourself.  You think you're a catch, but yet you have to lie in your profile?  Part of what you think makes you a catch is that you have a car and a job?  What kind of low class, trashy girls are you after that this would impress them?

If you're really the catch you think you are, it's ALWAYS a buyers market for you.  Chances are you're not really that much of a catch if nobody is buying what you're selling.

Let's just back it up for a second.  This is just what I've observed from you based only on this thread:

1.  You think highly of yourself
2.  You think you're better than others/too good for others
3.  You lie
4.  You're superficial
5.  You hang out on Celticsblog.  (Ok that last one is a joke lol).

You think this is the kind of person people want?  I've met a ton of people who fit think like this, and they're never the catch they think they are.  You probably know girls like that too, you've already alluded to some already, girls who are "6's", they probably think they're "9's".  That list above are turn offs to most people, but that's how you're coming off (at least here).

People with a job, car, hair, and nice body are a dime a dozen.  Literally millions of people can claim this.  That's not a catch.  Is that what you mention in your profile and messages to women?  That's not going to impress too many people.  Again if anything, mentioning these things is a turn off to a lot of people.  A woman can go anywhere and get a guy like that, and if you mention these things you'd come off like a superficial, shallow person.

And how come when you mentioned all your good qualities, you didn't mention anything like sense of humor, personality, down to earth, fun to be around, etc.  These are the qualities people really want.

Seriously, ask yourself this, if you think it's a buyers market for woman, if you think they're getting 10-100 messages a day from different guys, what's going to make you stand out?  What do you bring to the table that some other dude can't?  If a girl gets 20 messages, then at least 10 are going to be from guys with a good looks/car/job/body.  Again, that doesn't really make you a catch, what else do you got?

Online dating is a seller's market for women.

Again, it's ALWAYS a buyers market if you're really a catch.

Feeling brave and want some more advice?  Link your OKC or POF profile.  I bet plenty of us could give you some honest feedback on it.
Whoa, whoa.  He hasn't told us what kind of car it is yet.  :P
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
Echoing bdm860,

If you want to score dates, you can't approach dating as an ego boost for yourself. While being attractive is definitely important to the physical chemistry of the relationship, most women are looking for a lot more than that and owning a car. In fact, what these women probably want most is for you to show interest in them. Ego-centrism isn't attractive on a site where everyone (including you) is looking for attention. If you want to get noticed, you have to extend some of your attention first. This is true of dating in general, whether it's in person or online: no one enjoys a date who just talks about themself the whole time. You've got to let the girl know you're interested in her, ask her some questions about her profile, etc. Otherwise she's going to see it as an ego boost for you, which is exactly the way you've described your interactions.

Good luck.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm a short, unattractive, trollface with bad skin.  Over a 6 year period I went out on dates with easily over 100 different girls via online dating sites like Match and OkCupid.  I didn't bother with POF... every single girl on there had a kid.

That's not to say I slept with all of them or anything.  Most didn't go past the first date for one reason or another.  Some of them I ended up in relationships with (spanning weeks/months). 

Getting them to meet in person was pretty easy, actually.  I just took a casual approach to it.  I don't want to pretend like I'm some master of online dating, but here's some random thoughts/tips.

#1 - The fact that I live in Bellevue, WA worked in my favor.  If you live in Boston, it's probably different because all the men there are super aggressive and women are probably use to getting blatantly hit on hourly.  Not sure if that limits the online dating pool.  In Bellevue/Seattle there are craploads of women on dating sites.  There's still tons of competition, but there's a limitless pool of women to choose from.  Guys who live in less densely populated rural areas aren't going to have the same success. 

#2 - Less is probably more.  I learned long ago that nothing good comes from long drawn-out text/e-mail conversations.  As much as you think you know someone from your conversation... you don't.  I can learn more about a girl in a 10 minute in-person conversation than I can from a 3-week online courtship.

#3 - I always took a casual approach to it.  Ultimately you're still working against the stigma of online dating.  The less you make it feel weird, the less she will feel weird about it.  I had the benefit of living in downtown Bellevue.  It's a pretty fancy here.  I live walking distance from some nice restaurants, a movie theater, 21+ arcade, bowling alley, etc.   So there were literally nights where I'd see some girl on OkCupid lived in Bellevue, I'd message her about something random on her profile that interested me (favorite movie, band, vacation, etc)... and within like 10 minutes of chatting I'd just cut to the chase.  "It's 9:00pm... I'm starving.  I'm going to grab happy hour (food).  You should come."...  It usually would throw them off a little.  But my point was... why does that need to be weird?  I'm hungry.  You're hungry.  No need to get all dolled up.  We're chatting anyways.  It's way easier to get to know someone in person.  We'll meet in a very public area just in case you're actually a 45 year old bald man who wants to rape me (I always threw the stigma back on them).  I'm going to eat anyways so you might as well join me. Worst-case scenario you'll get some free dinner out of me...  Anyways, it worked.  It worked really often.  Granted, a lot of the time I'd meet them and realize I couldn't stand them in person, but at least I didn't spend weeks wasting my time.

#4 - You have to approach it with a sense of humor.  If it's not clear, every conversation I had with any girl was laced with tons of humor.  That's the best way to break down defenses.   The first time I went to OkCupid was because a female friend of mine recommended it to me.  She said she had been meeting tons of guys via the site and found them all to be socially inept, awkward and weird.  She commented, "a relatively normal guy like you would tear up on that site".  So I gave it a shot... and found that the vast majority of the girls I met were socially inept, awkward and weird.  Anyways, simply being a good-looking entitled "catch" probably isn't going to work.  Women typically aren't stimulated by visuals.  Try to muster some personality, make them laugh, make the feel at ease and invite them to hang out (somewhere safe) casually.  Then go from there.

#5 - As others will say, it's a numbers game.  Don't be thrown by some girls refusing to respond to you.  It happens.  I don't think the long essays work.  Make sure your profile represents you well.  Then, just send them a brief comment about their profile to try to strike up a conversation.  Some will ignore you... some will be intrigued.  I'd have more success just saying something like, "Saw you listed "the Shins" under favorite bands.  Did you happen to catch "Broken Bells" last week at Deck the Hall Ball?  It was pretty awesome." ... At that point they'll just skim your profile and decide if you are worthy of a response.  You're always fighting the "creepy internet guy" stigma.  It's hard to pull off the paragraph-long opening message without coming across slightly creepy.

Warning: A buddy of mine probably had 3 times the amount of "success" I had.  He developed some kind of condition.  He found that it was so easy to meet girls via online dating that he became unreasonably picky. Like RIDICULOUSLY picky.  Every single girl he met, he'd find some kind of issue with them.  I'd meet some of these girls... adorable girls with great personalities... my buddy would stop dating them because he didn't like the way they laughed or something.  It was insane. 

Personally, I got a bit bored with the process.  I kept meeting the same cute/dumb girls that ended up annoying me.  At one point I got the brilliant idea, "I should make a female friend... just someone with common interests that I can hang out and go see movies with."  I did a proximity search and coincidentally found some nerdy asian girl who lived across the street for me.  Similar nerdy interests... we were both movie fanatics, she collects comic books and action figures, seemed super intelligent, etc.  We decided to hang out one night and now we've been living together for the past 3 years.  I don't know what the heck happened.  I'll probably marry her at some point. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:21:47 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
So after breaking up with my girl friend, I'm taking a shot at online dating. It has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I'm a good looking guy: nice smile, have all my hair, in great shape, etc. I've even got a new car and a college education. I'm a catch.

So where does that leave me in the online dating world? With nothing. My response rate is probably 5%. Yeah, I do message the most attractive women, but that's only because I know what my equal is and I'm not going to settle for less.

I've on Match, POF, and OKC. I try to mix it up. I send out different kinds of messages. I've tried to find common interests in profiles, use a random subject header to stand out, focus on something specific, just introduce myself, write three or four paragraphs like a poet, etc, etc. Just about nothing works. No women respond. And when they do, it's usually mindless and boring. Sometimes it will lead to texting and then sometimes they just vanish out of no where.

Nearly all the profiles of women are the same (so coming up with something "interesting" to say is infinitely more difficult than it should be.) If you've never tried online dating, let me summarize them for you.

1) All women are world travelers. They just love to travel! If you're not a traveler, you are a chauvinistic, conservative, philistine who isn't cultured.

2) All women are vegetarians or vegans even though they eat poultry and fish.

3) All women just love their job! Even if it's just as a cashier at CVS or working as some other menial drone.

4) All women of course love to go out or stay in. Obviously.

5) All women love their friends and family and would do anything for them.

And that's it, folks.

It's not unusual to find solely photos of women dolled up for the ball who snapped pictures at the perfect angle complimented by the perfect lighting. These make them look infinitely more attractive than they are in real life. But whatever I guess.

Another thing is it's almost always the same people on these sites over and over again. Like, do they even want a relationship? Are they just using it for casual sex? Or do they use it as an ego boost and just sort through the 30 plus emails they get a day from the desperate, randy men who populate the internet?

Whatever it is, it is clearly depressing. For example, as I said before, I am a pretty attractive guy. And yet, women who are 6's (slightly overweight, etc) are being treated like royalty.

The whole online thing is just weird. Profiles are weird. Pictures are weird. The people are weird. It's sort of like in basketball, I guess, when the defense is leaving you open, it doesn't necessarily mean you should shoot. These women are available for a reason. I'm sure there's something wrong with 50% of them. Imagine meeting someone in person, and the first thing they started doing was bragging about how they have been to Mexico, Spain, Portugal, Somalia, and Australia. And then said "I work as a bank teller and I just love my job!"

It's so weird...

I don't know you so I'm not going to comment on whether you are a "catch" or not (though like some other posters I don't agree with your definition of one).  No matter how attractive/interesting you are though, the odds are against you if you're a guy.  Most women on those sites get hundreds of messages per day.  Even if you're great, it's unlikely that every woman will sift through hundreds of profiles and decide yours is one of the best. Just send messages, don't worry if people reject you, and try to make the most of the conversations you do start.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Im not a fan of online dating personal. I dont really understand it, seems fake to me and unrealistic without sparks. However, if it works for someone and they wanna try it thats great I'll gladly support it.

However, I feel like, especially in a big city, 90% of the women's profiles (especially the "most attractive ones") are just fake profiles of gorgeous women to try and boost the websites appeal.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The relationship I've been in for about 1 and 1/2 years started on OKCupid.

Went on many dates before her... some resulted in 2nd/3rd dates... some not...

Some girls were crazy... some girls thought I was crazy...

It's all about chemistry and common interests.  Eventually after being on the site for a while, I made my profile consist almost all of ridiculous things like of quotes from comedy movies and tv shows and the girl I'm dating responded well to it because she likes all the same movies and shows.  Obviously, that's working out well now that we have much of the same humor in common.

They key is to not take it too seriously -- have fun with it like others mentioned.  Lower your standards for now and have fun... then if you start to get too busy you can begin to tighten up those standards.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:28:15 PM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I did the whole online dating thing for a couple of years and had a high level of success but it didn't start out that way. I probably had a 5% response rate like you did and the conversation would die out after a week or so of talking. I started going on real dates after I made a few changes.

1) Kept my introductions short. I'm talking 3 or 4 sentences. I was sending out well thought out paragraph e-mails but nobody responded. As soon as I cut them back my response rate skyrocketed.

2) As a result of #1 I was able to send out more messages. Like somebody mentioned earlier in the thread it's a numbers game. The more girls I talked to, the better shot I had at getting responses. Even if I thought somebody was just an okay fit, I sent them a message. Maybe they just weren't good at marketing their self through a profile.

3) If they were interesting I'd ask them on a real date in about a week. I spent 3 weeks having great conversation with a couple of women that disappeared when I asked them if they wanted to meet. I'm pretty sure there are some women that are just looking for an e-mail buddy.

Stop selecting the "most attractive" women and expecting responses. Like Pearljammer said it might not even be a real person, just somebody working for that website trying to keep you interested. I was nudged/winked/poked by one girl after I had cancelled my account that was drop-dead gorgeous and as soon as I re-activated my account and sent her a message I never heard back. There's also a lot of women on there that are just looking for e-mails to boost their ego.

Good luck and have fun with it. Hope these pointers help.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I'm a short, unattractive, trollface with bad skin.  Over a 6 year period I went out on dates with easily over 100 different girls via online dating sites like Match and OkCupid.  I didn't bother with POF... every single girl on there had a kid.

That's not to say I slept with all of them or anything.  Most didn't go past the first date for one reason or another.  Some of them I ended up in relationships with (spanning weeks/months). 

Getting them to meet in person was pretty easy, actually.  I just took a casual approach to it.  I don't want to pretend like I'm some master of online dating, but here's some random thoughts/tips.

#1 - The fact that I live in Bellevue, WA worked in my favor.  If you live in Boston, it's probably different because all the men there are super aggressive and women are probably use to getting blatantly hit on hourly.  Not sure if that limits the online dating pool.  In Bellevue/Seattle there are craploads of women on dating sites.  There's still tons of competition, but there's a limitless pool of women to choose from.  Guys who live in less densely populated rural areas aren't going to have the same success. 

#2 - Less is probably more.  I learned long ago that nothing good comes from long drawn-out text/e-mail conversations.  As much as you think you know someone from your conversation... you don't.  I can learn more about a girl in a 10 minute in-person conversation than I can from a 3-week online courtship.

#3 - I always took a casual approach to it.  Ultimately you're still working against the stigma of online dating.  The less you make it feel weird, the less she will feel weird about it.  I had the benefit of living in downtown Bellevue.  It's a pretty fancy here.  I live walking distance from some nice restaurants, a movie theater, 21+ arcade, bowling alley, etc.   So there were literally nights where I'd see some girl on OkCupid lived in Bellevue, I'd message her about something random on her profile that interested me (favorite movie, band, vacation, etc)... and within like 10 minutes of chatting I'd just cut to the chase.  "It's 9:00pm... I'm starving.  I'm going to grab happy hour (food).  You should come."...  It usually would throw them off a little.  But my point was... why does that need to be weird?  I'm hungry.  You're hungry.  No need to get all dolled up.  We're chatting anyways.  It's way easier to get to know someone in person.  We'll meet in a very public area just in case you're actually a 45 year old bald man who wants to rape me (I always threw the stigma back on them).  I'm going to eat anyways so you might as well join me. Worst-case scenario you'll get some free dinner out of me...  Anyways, it worked.  It worked really often.  Granted, a lot of the time I'd meet them and realize I couldn't stand them in person, but at least I didn't spend weeks wasting my time.

#4 - You have to approach it with a sense of humor.  If it's not clear, every conversation I had with any girl was laced with tons of humor.  That's the best way to break down defenses.   The first time I went to OkCupid was because a female friend of mine recommended it to me.  She said she had been meeting tons of guys via the site and found them all to be socially inept, awkward and weird.  She commented, "a relatively normal guy like you would tear up on that site".  So I gave it a shot... and found that the vast majority of the girls I met were socially inept, awkward and weird.  Anyways, simply being a good-looking entitled "catch" probably isn't going to work.  Women typically aren't stimulated by visuals.  Try to muster some personality, make them laugh, make the feel at ease and invite them to hang out (somewhere safe) casually.  Then go from there.

#5 - As others will say, it's a numbers game.  Don't be thrown by some girls refusing to respond to you.  It happens.  I don't think the long essays work.  Make sure your profile represents you well.  Then, just send them a brief comment about their profile to try to strike up a conversation.  Some will ignore you... some will be intrigued.  I'd have more success just saying something like, "Saw you listed "the Shins" under favorite bands.  Did you happen to catch "Broken Bells" last week at Deck the Hall Ball?  It was pretty awesome." ... At that point they'll just skim your profile and decide if you are worthy of a response.  You're always fighting the "creepy internet guy" stigma.  It's hard to pull off the paragraph-long opening message without coming across slightly creepy.

Warning: A buddy of mine probably had 3 times the amount of "success" I had.  He developed some kind of condition.  He found that it was so easy to meet girls via online dating that he became unreasonably picky. Like RIDICULOUSLY picky.  Every single girl he met, he'd find some kind of issue with them.  I'd meet some of these guys... adorable girls with great personalities... my buddy would stop dating them because he didn't like the way they laughed or something.  It was insane. 

Personally, I got a bit bored with the process.  I kept meeting the same cute/dumb girls that ended up annoying me.  At one point I got the brilliant idea, "I should make a female friend... just someone with common interests that I can hang out and go see movies with."  I did a proximity search and coincidentally found some nerdy asian girl who lived across the street for me.  Similar nerdy interests... we were both movie fanatics, she collects comic books and action figures, seemed super intelligent, etc.  We decided to hang out one night and now we've been living together for the past 3 years.  I don't know what the heck happened.  I'll probably marry her at some point.

great story, don't tank it... lol

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Warning: A buddy of mine probably had 3 times the amount of "success" I had.  He developed some kind of condition.  He found that it was so easy to meet girls via online dating that he became unreasonably picky. Like RIDICULOUSLY picky.  Every single girl he met, he'd find some kind of issue with them.  I'd meet some of these guys... adorable girls with great personalities... my buddy would stop dating them because he didn't like the way they laughed or something.  It was insane. 

A great peek into your mind here haha.

And seems like good advice!  I've been looking into it myself.  Out of college and at this point the girls I meet at like bars... they aren't the girls I really am interested in most of the time.  I would actually love a nerdy asian girl of my own  :( .

TP.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 06:46:32 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Warning: A buddy of mine probably had 3 times the amount of "success" I had.  He developed some kind of condition.  He found that it was so easy to meet girls via online dating that he became unreasonably picky. Like RIDICULOUSLY picky.  Every single girl he met, he'd find some kind of issue with them.  I'd meet some of these girls... adorable girls with great personalities... my buddy would stop dating them because he didn't like the way they laughed or something.  It was insane. 

TP! That was a good read ;D!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So after breaking up with my girl friend, I'm taking a shot at online dating. It has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I'm a good looking guy: nice smile, have all my hair, in great shape, etc. I've even got a new car and a college education. I'm a catch.

So where does that leave me in the online dating world? With nothing. My response rate is probably 5%. Yeah, I do message the most attractive women, but that's only because I know what my equal is and I'm not going to settle for less.

I've on Match, POF, and OKC. I try to mix it up. I send out different kinds of messages. I've tried to find common interests in profiles, use a random subject header to stand out, focus on something specific, just introduce myself, write three or four paragraphs like a poet, etc, etc. Just about nothing works. No women respond. And when they do, it's usually mindless and boring. Sometimes it will lead to texting and then sometimes they just vanish out of no where.

Nearly all the profiles of women are the same (so coming up with something "interesting" to say is infinitely more difficult than it should be.) If you've never tried online dating, let me summarize them for you.

1) All women are world travelers. They just love to travel! If you're not a traveler, you are a chauvinistic, conservative, philistine who isn't cultured.

2) All women are vegetarians or vegans even though they eat poultry and fish.

3) All women just love their job! Even if it's just as a cashier at CVS or working as some other menial drone.

4) All women of course love to go out or stay in. Obviously.

5) All women love their friends and family and would do anything for them.

And that's it, folks.

It's not unusual to find solely photos of women dolled up for the ball who snapped pictures at the perfect angle complimented by the perfect lighting. These make them look infinitely more attractive than they are in real life. But whatever I guess.

Another thing is it's almost always the same people on these sites over and over again. Like, do they even want a relationship? Are they just using it for casual sex? Or do they use it as an ego boost and just sort through the 30 plus emails they get a day from the desperate, randy men who populate the internet?

Whatever it is, it is clearly depressing. For example, as I said before, I am a pretty attractive guy. And yet, women who are 6's (slightly overweight, etc) are being treated like royalty.

The whole online thing is just weird. Profiles are weird. Pictures are weird. The people are weird. It's sort of like in basketball, I guess, when the defense is leaving you open, it doesn't necessarily mean you should shoot. These women are available for a reason. I'm sure there's something wrong with 50% of them. Imagine meeting someone in person, and the first thing they started doing was bragging about how they have been to Mexico, Spain, Portugal, Somalia, and Australia. And then said "I work as a bank teller and I just love my job!"

It's so weird...
...how old are you approximately? And where do you live on the planet?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:01:45 PM by eja117 »