Author Topic: Does anybody else consider their TP to Total Comment Ratio, or do I have OCD?  (Read 15859 times)

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
I feel like if I don't get them every 15 posts or so, then it means I'm spewing nonsense and then I get self conscious.  I do like the system overall and I can't think of any sites that do a good job with similar "stats" - Reddit's whole upvoting thing is terrible, for instance.  The thing though is that I fully realize nobody even cares how many TPs other people have. I think I just used to play too many FPS where I was super focused on k/d ratios and it's bled into the rest of my life.
just gave you one.

Ditto

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
I feel like if I don't get them every 15 posts or so, then it means I'm spewing nonsense and then I get self conscious.  I do like the system overall and I can't think of any sites that do a good job with similar "stats" - Reddit's whole upvoting thing is terrible, for instance.  The thing though is that I fully realize nobody even cares how many TPs other people have. I think I just used to play too many FPS where I was super focused on k/d ratios and it's bled into the rest of my life.

They also had a taketh away along the giveth

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Used to pay attention more. After Stern and the Lakers stole all mine in 2010, stopped caring. Think I bet them all again in 2011 too.

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Quetzalcoatl- it's kinda funny that you made this thread, because every time I post I look at the ratio and actually take pride in it. I initially thought it was my OCD getting the best of me, but I definitely think there's more to it than that. I think getting the virtual pat on the back from fellow posters truly enhances the CB experience, and receiving said validation  builds both camaraderie and community.  Anyway, just my two cents.....

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
I've literally done this twice, and I have like 30 posts.

Hi, my names Sunnyd656, and im a tommypointoholic.
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Had to post to see what my total was.... uh you caught me. Very clever trap.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Surprisingly (or not), we've had some times where users have cared "too much" about TPs of others and we've had a few TP-Gates.

Then there are people who simply don't care.

For people that do care, its probably worth noting that many people who were here for the 2010 Finals wagering TP points on the Celtics winning so a bunch of people just bounced back to zero after the Celts' loss and threw off their TP to Total Comment raios.

Yep I was one of those from 2010.  I think we did it for another series too in another year with people losing TPs.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Surprisingly (or not), we've had some times where users have cared "too much" about TPs of others and we've had a few TP-Gates.

For people that do care, its probably worth noting that many people who were here for the 2010 Finals wagering TP points on the Celtics winning so a bunch of people just bounced back to zero after the Celts' loss and threw off their TP to Total Comment raios.

Yep I was one of those from 2010.  I think we did it for another series too in another year with people losing TPs.

Yeah, for the sake of the Celtics, we should prob avoid doing another one of those contests.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yeah, for the sake of the Celtics, we should prob avoid doing another one of those contests.

Thousands of TPs lost. Thousands.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

There was a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousand of Tommy Points cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

There was a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousand of Tommy Points cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Haha, I wanted to use a quote there, wish I woulda thought of that one. Nice. NO TPS AWARDED!!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I think crowd-pleasing is a good way to get TPs. It wouldn't surprise me if my Comment/TP ratio is pretty weak. 

Nah, it's pretty good, you are very well liked for a guy that ranks Rondo as a top 50 PG in the NBA...  ;D

I appreciate TPs because they are given by fellow CBers, but they are a tiny part of the fun. I'll gladly give my few TPs again if we have a TP rally for the Cs. Anyway, I enjoy giving them when game threads are like ghost towns, or to European posters who stay up until 4AM/get up at 3AM to watch the game and join the conversation.

By the way, sometimes I wish we had a "taketh" button again, but then I think twice about it and I concur with the decision to eliminate it. Too dangerous.

TP to the OP, have fun and Go Celtics!

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Haha, I wanted to use a quote there, wish I woulda thought of that one. Nice. NO TPS AWARDED!!

These are not the TP's you're looking for.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah count me amongst the largest losers of TPs in that 2010 TP bet. That said, I love my Celtics so much and believe in them so much, I'll do it again when the time comes. I mean whats a couple thousand TP worth anyway. (BTW I think I lost about 2500 TPs after game 7 in 2010. Oh well. Easy come easy go)

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't post as often as I used to (maybe 7-10 posts per week or so now), so I get TPs pretty infrequently (like once a week), so its been more noticeable to me when I get TPs lately.  So, when I get one, I'll look back to my recent posts and see which ones were received well.

When I used to post on average 5-15 times per day and played in games like cbdraft, I found it pretty easy to lose track of TPs though.

I also was double whammied with the celts loss in the 2010 finals.  Thinking back, I remember there were 2 reasons why I took part in that.  1. I definitely thought the celts were going to win.  2. If they didn't win, I didn't want to be the one "celtics fan" with all these TPs b/c I didn't back my team while all the other bloggers were at 0.  Awkwarrrrrrrrd
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur