Author Topic: Fallout 3 New Vegas  (Read 12886 times)

Re: Fallout 3 New Vegas
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Tried to get in to Fallout 3 and Oblivion several times but I ended of giving up after about 12 hours played on both.

Is there anything in this game that would make someone like me like it?

Hard to answer.  What do you mean by "someone like me?"

I get motion sickness playing 1st person shooters (I think my tv screen is too big).  But my favorite games are Fallout and Oblivion.  So I play them entirely in 3rd person instead.  For sniping I might switch to 1st, but 95% of the time I play in 3rd person.  Perhaps this is something that might let you enjoy the game more?

I love New Vegas.  It's fantastic.  One major beef though - I haven't done a single mission for the main quest, and I'm already level 25 (hard difficulty).  The level cap is 30.  I'll be completely maxed out by the time I finish the side quests and start the main quest.  The amount of experience earned is completely unbalanced.  There should not be a level cap on this game at all.  Not when you can play it for 150 hours with one character.
From a game design perspective there has to be a level cap. Because the HP of enemies and type of enemies levels up with you unlimited leveling leads to unbalanced and bad gameplay at the end.

Your weapons and armor are of static strength but your attributes and enemies keep going up. In Oblivion its very easy to get to the point where enemies have so much health that you have to use silly perma-invisibility or other broken spells to kill anything.

Fallout is setup so if you do everything you'll run out of levels. So multiple play throughs are something people should do.

I mean really your complaint is they made the sandbox too big!

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Tried to get in to Fallout 3 and Oblivion several times but I ended of giving up after about 12 hours played on both.

I get motion sickness playing 1st person shooters (I think my tv screen is too big).  But my favorite games are Fallout and Oblivion.  So I play them entirely in 3rd person instead.  For sniping I might switch to 1st, but 95% of the time I play in 3rd person.  Perhaps this is something that might let you enjoy the game more?

I love New Vegas.  It's fantastic.  One major beef though - I haven't done a single mission for the main quest, and I'm already level 25 (hard difficulty).  The level cap is 30.  I'll be completely maxed out by the time I finish the side quests and start the main quest.  The amount of experience earned is completely unbalanced.  There should not be a level cap on this game at all.  Not when you can play it for 150 hours with one character.
Agreed.  The level cap in Fallout 2 was 99.  I played that game for years it seemed and I never got close.
Fallout 2 had essentially a "soft" level cap. Eventually you got to the point where leveling up took so long and gained you so little it wasn't a concern.

Having a level cap allows for a much more balanced game play.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

From a game design perspective there has to be a level cap. Because the HP of enemies and type of enemies levels up with you unlimited leveling leads to unbalanced and bad gameplay at the end.

Your weapons and armor are of static strength but your attributes and enemies keep going up. In Oblivion its very easy to get to the point where enemies have so much health that you have to use silly perma-invisibility or other broken spells to kill anything.

Fallout is setup so if you do everything you'll run out of levels. So multiple play throughs are something people should do.

You lost me with the Oblivion analogy.  Enemies on there did not keep getting tougher.  I grinded up my character so much that I was one-hit-killing every single enemy in the game.  I had my sneak, acrobatics, speed, strength, etc - all near 100.  Enemies peaked at much less than that.  It was like playing in God mode.  Maybe you're remembering it wrong?

I disagree that the sandbox is too big.  The sandbox is great.  But they've made it so that I'm going to stop progressing as a character less than a 3rd of the way thru the main quest.  Sorry man, but that's indefensible.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Two Worlds - none of these RPGs had this issue.  Even Fallout 3 didn't (level 30 would happen about 75-80% of the way thru the main quest).  This was lame design, hands down.

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wordapp

that's funny.  when i googled it, i didn't get urban dictionary.  i got Droid Apps instead, lol.

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

You lost me with the Oblivion analogy.  Enemies on there did not keep getting tougher.  I grinded up my character so much that I was one-hit-killing every single enemy in the game.  I had my sneak, acrobatics, speed, strength, etc - all near 100.  Enemies peaked at much less than that.  It was like playing in God mode.  Maybe you're remembering it wrong?

I disagree that the sandbox is too big.  The sandbox is great.  But they've made it so that I'm going to stop progressing as a character less than a 3rd of the way thru the main quest.  Sorry man, but that's indefensible.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Two Worlds - none of these RPGs had this issue.  Even Fallout 3 didn't (level 30 would happen about 75-80% of the way thru the main quest).  This was lame design, hands down.
Were you playing Oblivion on normal? I played on hard and above, that could account for the difference.

You aren't going straight through the main quest if you're going to hit the level cap before you're done. My friend blew through the main quest and didn't hit the cap.

There are enough side quests and random enemies to hit the level cap three times over. That's just good sandbox design, not a flaw.

I also like that with the more limited number of perks that you actually don't run out of good choices in New Vegas.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I disagree that the sandbox is too big.  The sandbox is great.  But they've made it so that I'm going to stop progressing as a character less than a 3rd of the way thru the main quest.  Sorry man, but that's indefensible.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Two Worlds - none of these RPGs had this issue.  Even Fallout 3 didn't (level 30 would happen about 75-80% of the way thru the main quest).  This was lame design, hands down.

The main quest maybe takes like 4 hours or so, start to finish. Incredibly short. I keep inadvertently pushing it along.

My biggest gripe so far is that

#1, I don't have a dog. I want a dog.
#2, the companions are way too BA for my liking. Boone is like some kind of special ops ninja. I'm only a level 6, but aside from sheer stupidity and random ambushes, I shouldn't face too many challenges for the rest of teh game as long as Boone is hangin out.

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 03:32:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

The main quest maybe takes like 4 hours or so, start to finish. Incredibly short. I keep inadvertently pushing it along.

#2, the companions are way too BA for my liking. Boone is like some kind of special ops ninja. I'm only a level 6, but aside from sheer stupidity and random ambushes, I shouldn't face too many challenges for the rest of teh game as long as Boone is hangin out.
You can get a dog from the King in Freeside.

Boone is indeed bad ass, I'm playing an NCR friendly sniper and we just blow most enemies away with sneak crits if we aren't inside a confined area.

I haven't even tried another companion. Hopefully they're not all so ridiculous.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 03:37:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I disagree that the sandbox is too big.  The sandbox is great.  But they've made it so that I'm going to stop progressing as a character less than a 3rd of the way thru the main quest.  Sorry man, but that's indefensible.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Two Worlds - none of these RPGs had this issue.  Even Fallout 3 didn't (level 30 would happen about 75-80% of the way thru the main quest).  This was lame design, hands down.

Boone is indeed bad ass, I'm playing an NCR friendly sniper and we just blow most enemies away with sneak crits if we aren't inside a confined area.

I haven't even tried another companion. Hopefully they're not all so ridiculous.

I went down. Should I have gone up? The Legion Assassins absolutely truamatized me until Boone and his beret showed up.

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:37:49 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown

You lost me with the Oblivion analogy.  Enemies on there did not keep getting tougher.  I grinded up my character so much that I was one-hit-killing every single enemy in the game.  I had my sneak, acrobatics, speed, strength, etc - all near 100.  Enemies peaked at much less than that.  It was like playing in God mode.  Maybe you're remembering it wrong?

Were you playing Oblivion on normal? I played on hard and above, that could account for the difference.

You aren't going straight through the main quest if you're going to hit the level cap before you're done. My friend blew through the main quest and didn't hit the cap.

There are enough side quests and random enemies to hit the level cap three times over. That's just good sandbox design, not a flaw.

I also like that with the more limited number of perks that you actually don't run out of good choices in New Vegas.

I absolutely played Oblivion on the hardest difficulty.  Enemies' stats on that game did not continuously increase.  They plateaued at a certain point, and you keep going up.  That's how Fallout should work.  Becasue now I'm going to be doing all these missions, killing stuff, and receiving no benefit from it.  You stop receiving experience/perks and have to keep grinding out battles for zero rewards.  THAT is bad design.

At some point you should become so powerful that you dish out devastation and nothing can hurt you.  Why else would you keep wanting to play if you don't keep progressing in power level?  I mean the story is cool and all, but I don't want to keep having 30 minute battles with Deathclaw hordes when I'm 100 hours deep into the game.  I should be able to shoot their face off in a single hit at that point.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, man.  But no one else in this thread likes the level cap, and every other forum I've read on this game hates it too.  At least you like it though, so that's good. 

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I went down. Should I have gone up? The Legion Assassins absolutely truamatized me until Boone and his beret showed up.
legion assassins got me once without boone, but a quick reload and some dynamite and I was fine.

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 03:42:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I absolutely played Oblivion on the hardest difficulty.  Enemies' stats on that game did not continuously increase.  They plateaued at a certain point, and you keep going up.  That's how Fallout should work.  Becasue now I'm going to be doing all these missions, killing stuff, and receiving no benefit from it.  You stop receiving experience/perks and have to keep grinding out battles for zero rewards.  THAT is bad design.
Hey if you want to be an unstoppable killing machine no one is stopping you from playing on easy.

I don't see why the player should be able to just grind till I'm invincible. I mean if I want that I'll play a JRPG. Nothing wrong with an upper bound that leaves the game a challenge.

I'd be fine with no level cap, but game design wise it makes things much harder. Sales wise it makes expansions harder to market as well.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
Hey if you want to be an unstoppable killing machine no one is stopping you from playing on easy.

I don't see why the player should be able to just grind till I'm invincible. I mean if I want that I'll play a JRPG. Nothing wrong with an upper bound that leaves the game a challenge.

I'd be fine with no level cap, but game design wise it makes things much harder. Sales wise it makes expansions harder to market as well.

It's not really about being an unstoppable killing machine.  It's more about playing a character that is maxed out and receiving no gratification whatsoever for defeating enemies and completing missions.  

RPGs are supposed to be about building a character and advancing its skills and abilities throughout the game.  In New Vegas, the advancement stops way too early in the game, and then it becomes a shooting game with no rewards or advancement.  Fallout 3 did not have this issue, to this degree.  In fact no RPG I've ever played has been set up like this.

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It's not really about being an unstoppable killing machine.  It's more about playing a character that is maxed out and receiving no gratification whatsoever for defeating enemies and completing missions.  

RPGs are supposed to be about building a character and advancing its skills and abilities throughout the game.  In New Vegas, the advancement stops way too early in the game, and then it becomes a shooting game with no rewards or advancement.  Fallout 3 did not have this issue, to this degree.  In fact no RPG I've ever played has been set up like this.
Again the problem seems to be you're trying to do everything in the game, its too big.

You can finish the main story without hitting the cap, you can do a lot of sidequests too without hitting it. But if you're like me and most other RPG players you'll do more than just a few.

Fallout 3 had this exact same issue, in fact it had an even longer main quest from what others have said.

*shrug* RPG's don't have to be just about maxing out your character. It sounds like you'd be happier if it just took twice as long for you to level.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 05:11:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
On the Fallout web site, it makes mention of Downloadable content that will be available for the game in Dec, which is great!

I assume that it will follow the same format as Fallout 3, as far as multiple DLC's being made available over the next few months.

Hopefully - just maybe - they'll push the level cap to 40?

I purchased the game last week, but have yet to play it.