Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 7485 times)

Civilization V
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I can't wait till I'm off work and can install and play!!!  8)

Re: Civilization V
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've never played any of the civ games. It's an rts right? I owned Warcraft 2, played some Command and Conquer and Age of Empires. Will I like CIV 5?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I've never played any of the civ games. It's an rts right? I owned Warcraft 2, played some Command and Conquer and Age of Empires. Will I like CIV 5?
Its not an RTS its a turn based strategy game.

Its a rather deep series, every world is randomly generated each time you play. (unless you do a preset scenario) Games can take 6-12 hours depending on your speed of play to go from 4000 BC to 2050 AD.

Do you like strategy games like that? Panzer General, Advance Wars, Heroes of Might and Magic?

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm a huge fan of the randomness of the series which gives it unlimited replay potential, without mandatory multiplayer.

You can play several paths to victory, you can take over the world via military might. You can forge an alliance and win diplomatically, you can create a culture that dominates the world, and you can win a scientific victory via building a space ship to alpha centauri. You also can play as the German Civ, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Americans (an anarchonism), etc....

There is no one way to play and no game is ever the same. There is also several stratas of difficulty so it can be played by relative novices or experts.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:00:36 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I'm a huge fan of the randomness of the series which gives it unlimited replay potential, without mandatory multiplayer.

You can play several paths to victory, you can take over the world via military might. You can forge an alliance and win diplomatically, you can create a culture that dominates the world, and you can win a scientific victory via building a space ship to alpha centauri. You also can play as the German Civ, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Americans (an anarchonism), etc....

There is no one way to play and no game is ever the same. There is also several stratas of difficulty so it can be played by relative novices or experts.
I actually have never played a game like that. I might download the demo just to see.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I actually have never played a game like that. I might download the demo just to see.
I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any questions, it can be a daunting game to start with.

There are a ton of choices to be made early with long term consequences. Supposedly they made some better tutorials with this edition, but in the past that's been a barrier to entry for it.

You could also try the Civ Revolutions demo for a more simplified version of the game. That was released for DS/Xbox 360

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any questions, it can be a daunting game to start with.

There are a ton of choices to be made early with long term consequences. Supposedly they made some better tutorials with this edition, but in the past that's been a barrier to entry for it.

You could also try the Civ Revolutions demo for a more simplified version of the game. That was released for DS/Xbox 360
That does not seem like a game I would be interested in playing on a console. I'll download the demo of civ 5 for my computer. Right now Star Craft is the only game I play on my pc.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That does not seem like a game I would be interested in playing on a console. I'll download the demo of civ 5 for my computer. Right now Star Craft is the only game I play on my pc.
I hear that, I wasn't a big fan of Civ Revolutions either. I liked having tons of choices!

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Loved Civ 4. Civ 5 looks amazing in pics and videos. I am a fan of hex maps. I'm not sure when I will but it though. Major time suck.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I downloaded Civ 4 (from Steam) a few weeks ago in keeping with my tradition of being one version behind.  It's a lot cheaper that way.  Any major changes in Civ 5 other than the hex system?  I never really liked that the discovery trees, units, etc don't seem to change much from version to version.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I downloaded Civ 4 (from Steam) a few weeks ago in keeping with my tradition of being one version behind.  It's a lot cheaper that way.  Any major changes in Civ 5 other than the hex system?  I never really liked that the discovery trees, units, etc don't seem to change much from version to version.
Lots of big changes. Religions has been abstracted, social policy is no longer a discrete choice, you earn points and spend them going down a tree for benefits. Cultural expansion is a more gradual process. Cities defend themselves and can grow to huge sizes. Flanking has been emphasised

Hex maps, only one combat unit per tile. Ranged bombardment of units is back and more centrally integrated into combat. I'll tell you more when I have the actual game.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
It's installing some update right now.  Then I get to take this baby for its first drive! 

I'm excited.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Man I used to love Civilization, used to play Civilization II and Test of Time for hours on end.  I remember playing on a weekend in high  school/college.  Maybe start playing around 7-8pm.  Next thing I know it's 11pm, ok I'll just play a couple more turns, or a couple more years.  Next thing I know it's 2am, ok I'll just complete this wonder then I'll call it a night.  Next thing I know it's 4am, ok I'll stop playing as soon as I take this city.  I usually went to bed once the game crashed (thank goodness for the autosave they added for Test of Time lol). 

I'm pretty busy in grad school, so no way I can even tempt myself to jump back into Civilization, but if I didn't have school I think I'd be buying it right now.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I love Steam.

I download the entire Civ 4 package a few months ago for dirt cheap. Wasted a lot of hours on it.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 02:13:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I just got my copy from amazon and went and installed it while I ate lunch.

The art style is radically different, especially with the switch to hexagons. That'll take some getting used to, but its a pretty game I like how you can visibly see what workers are doing.

Ranged combat completely changes the game, I had my first unit a scout randomly get bows. I was able to pummel several barbarian brute units from range and take 3 encampments with ease. I left my city unprotected and it was able to almost kill a barbarian by itself before my archer unit arrived back. If I'd had a worker improvements made though some of them would have certainly been pillaged.

I'll post more when I'm home and can play for longer than 25 minutes.