Author Topic: David Griffin taking over in NOP  (Read 13645 times)

Re: David Griffin taking over in NOP
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2019, 02:32:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Love Griffin and NOH is finally serious about their NBA franchise.

With THAT being said if they want Smart they can go pack sand.

I'm serious.

He is this team's Heart and Soul - making IMPACT PLAYS throughout his time here.
If next June Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Horford, Davis, Baynes, Rozier, Semi, Williams, a 1st round draft pick and a good mle pickup raise banner #18, I am going to be thinking "Smart who?".

It's like in June 2008. No one cared a hoot about Al Jefferson when KG was looking skyward, screaming about anything being possible.

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nick - love your stuff on this blog.

But out of all of those players you just named

But out of ALL of those players you just listed NONE of them will give us the IMPACT PLAYS - when they MATTER - that Marcus Smart gives us.

Kyrie Irving - to his credit - is among the team leader in taking charges but given his health issues I certainly don't want him taking over full time duties for this kind of play.

Smart is ALSO a team leader in charges.

AD is a PHENOMENAL player but we'd better make sure we have someone ready to step up and provide for Smart's impact on the game.

When we got KG he was KNOWN for making these kinds of plays. AD - though a GREAT player - is not. And I certainly don't want HIM trying to take charges either - given HIS health issues.

We simply cannot forget Smart's impact on our team AND on the game. Danny had better have a plan if Smart is included in a trade package.

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We simply cannot forget Smart's impact on our team AND on the game. Danny had better have a plan if Smart is included in a trade package.

Homerism crap!  Davis will have a bigger impact, who are you trying to kid?    I have a bridge I will sell you if  you want JK. 

Winshares for Davis 72  Winshares for Smart 16.2

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html

I think should he come here you would forget pretty quickly given that disparity.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Homerism crap!  Davis will have a bigger impact, who are you trying to kid?    I have a bridge I will sell you if  you want JK. 

I think should he come here you would forget pretty quickly given that disparity.

Smart is my favorite player but I wont delude myself into not wanting to make the AD trade, assuming that AD shows more of a willingness to play in Boston.

That said, I really hope we can make the deal without including Smart.  Imagine how amazing our defense would be when Smart, Davis, and Horford/Baynes are on the floor together! 

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I do not think anyone can argue that davis isnt a beter player than smart.

However smart does things that dramatically impact a game that sometimes dont get measured so simply.

Smart is a fantastic player to have on a team and it would be a terrible loss to have to take to grt davis. A terrible loss.

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 08:53:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yeah, good hire.

Here’s the interesting twist. Several months back on NBATV when discussing what he would want in an AD trade, Griffin said that he would want abd shoot for:
1) 1 young player with star potential;
2) several draft picks; and
3) an elite role player or two to help during the rebuild.

https://twitter.com/sAbdi28/status/1116807777010118656?s=20

Hmm, sounds like a Celtics package would be right up Griffin’s alley!

So, Tatum, Smart and picks.

I'd probably like this if it isn't all of the picks like I saw one proposal.  I think between the players and the picks, it totaled 8 first rounders.  That's too much!  I might try, Tatum, Smart, Clippers, and Memphis.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2019, 08:55:58 AM »

Offline wreckoner

• NCE
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 11

Marcus Smart is my favorite Celtic, so I’ll chime in here. Going off Winshares for criteria, AD this year had 9.5 while torpedoing his franchise. Marcus had 5.3 while bleeding green. Tatum, the centerpiece of the proposed trade rumors, had 5.0. Smart and Tatum’s combined 10.3 is higher than AD’s 9.5, so using WS, those two alone should get a deal done without the need for additional picks. Throw in a bunch of firsts, and we should be able to retain the Cobra, if WS were the gold standard, and salary matching not a thing.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Marcus Smart is my favorite Celtic, so I’ll chime in here. Going off Winshares for criteria, AD this year had 9.5 while torpedoing his franchise. Marcus had 5.3 while bleeding green. Tatum, the centerpiece of the proposed trade rumors, had 5.0. Smart and Tatum’s combined 10.3 is higher than AD’s 9.5, so using WS, those two alone should get a deal done without the need for additional picks. Throw in a bunch of firsts, and we should be able to retain the Cobra, if WS were the gold standard, and salary matching not a thing.

I like Smart, too.   But we could use RPG, PPG, BPG Shooting percentage and plus minus and I wager Davis wins all those.   I think Marcus would win assists and steals.  Davis is the better player by a large margin.  He too would alter shots and change the game and add stats to a greater level some posters here acted like we were losing Russell in the 1960s which is ridiculous.  You can pretend otherwise but any GM worth his salt including Ainge would send Smart and Tatum for Davis in a heartbeat.   If you like a player it is hard to separate those emotions from logic though.

My money is on us keeping Smart and Tatum, taking all the picks because I think Davis is going to LA still.   I hope not but Kyrie could walk too.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2019, 10:22:32 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Are you seriously using cumulative career Win Shares in order to say who is better? Davis has played an extra 3 years in the league, obviously he'll have more Win Shares. Nene has more than Davis, but that doesn't mean he's the better player

I don't think anyone here would argue that Smart is better than Davis, but pointing out that Davis has more career Win Shares is not a good way to prove it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd trade Smart in a heartbeat if it meant getting Davis.

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Smart has been to Conference Final twice, how many did Davis have?

Thank you

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Thank you

Davis has never played with anyone as talented as Kyrie.

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Thank you

Kevon Looney won multiple championships. I guess Marcus Smart is no Kevon Looney, huh?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

That is true, but was he averaged  9pts and we lost all of them.  Davis would beat that average per game in a quarter possibly.  You can like him all you want  but it does not change fact that Davis is a better player. 

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »

Offline wreckoner

• NCE
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 11

Thank you

Davis has never played with anyone as talented as Kyrie.

Well, Kyrie wasn’t on the team for the first ECF, and didn’t play in the playoffs the second ECF. I mean, I think we all agree that AD is the far superior basketball player. But Smart brings some very special characteristics to the table. We’d be losing something invaluable if we trade Smart, which would almost certainly have to happen to match salaries. We may end up with a few more banners, which is the goal every choice DA makes has to move towards. But we could just as easily lose a true Celtic, a true warrior, a defensive savant bulldog, and an improving shooter/playmaker for a one year rental who bolts to the arch-rival Lakers and leaves us wounded, weakened, and asset depleted long-term.

Side note, do we have to fill in the security questions for every post?