Author Topic: David Griffin taking over in NOP  (Read 13776 times)

Re: David Griffin taking over in NOP
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
WELP...  :P

TP this was my thought exactly  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, good hire.

Here’s the interesting twist. Several months back on NBATV when discussing what he would want in an AD trade, Griffin said that he would want abd shoot for:
1) 1 young player with star potential;
2) several draft picks; and
3) an elite role player or two to help during the rebuild.

https://twitter.com/sAbdi28/status/1116807777010118656?s=20

Hmm, sounds like a Celtics package would be right up Griffin’s alley!

So, Tatum, Smart and picks.

Probably, and I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis. I'd love it

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 08:24:51 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Should have been kevin McHale

That would have been awesome

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 08:29:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Should have been kevin McHale

That would have been awesome

Lol, yup.

We need someone to make Danny Ainge look smart.

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
https://mobile.twitter.com/sAbdi28/status/1116807777010118656

Here’s David Griffin on what his ‘Anthony Davis plan’ would be if he was in charge.

Looks like he got his wish — he’s just been hired by the New Orleans Pelicans.

Griffin outlines a desired package of “a young player with star potential, a significant role player and draft picks”

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 08:44:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Here’s David Griffin on what his ‘Anthony Davis plan’ would be if he was in charge.

Griffin outlines a desired package of “a young player with star potential, a significant role player and draft picks”

So basically Tatum, Smart and some draft picks. Not against it, but at that price I'd like to hold onto William's and at least one 1st this year. So say add MEM, 14 and 22, we keep 20.

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
SGA, Shamet, Harrell, a MIA pick (when was the last time MIA tanked?) and cap relief is supposed to be better than 4 1st round picks including a probable top 10 pick and Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown?

Yeah, okay.

Bill's at the point in his career where he just says stuff because he feels it, he doesn't seem to really think about this stuff anymore.  He sure as shooting doesn't write anything of substance anymore.

He seems to have more passion for recapping summer blockbusters from 10-20 years ago than he does for basketball analysis, anyway.

Honestly, I think he's doing that thing where he tries to convince himself something isn't gonna happen(AD to celtics), so that if it doesn't it doesn't hurt as much.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 09:11:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Danny Ainge has a strong relationship with Griffin (Griffin worked on Ainge's coaching/video staff in Phoenix). Have a feeling those guys will be talking a lot in the next few months.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1116803375377604608

Old article

"Danny Ainge: Prior Personal Relationships 'Increase Odds of Making a Deal'"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2364246-danny-ainge-prior-personal-relationships-increase-odds-of-making-a-deal.amp.html

In just the last two months, four of the five trades Ainge has made included teams that employ front-office executives who have directly worked with Ainge in the past two decades. Some coached under him with the Phoenix Suns in the mid-1990s (Dallas Mavericks general manager Donnie Nelson). Others had been former front-office lieutenants in Boston (Suns GM Ryan McDonough, Los Angeles Clippers GM Dave Wohl, Memphis Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace).

In a exclusive interview ahead of the NBA trade deadline on Feb. 19, Bleacher Report sat down with Ainge to discuss his recent dealings with former colleagues, and whether trading with someone you know is an emerging trend around the league. 

Bleacher Report: In the past few months, you have made trades with a variety of teams (Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers) that employ executives you have worked with, either in Boston or at other stops in your career. How much of an impact do the relationships you have formed with those guys have on making the deals? 

Danny Ainge: I think it’s easier to talk to people you know. The better you know them, the easier it is to deal with them. Ultimately, still, in most deals, it’s all dependent on the transaction involved, more than any personal relationship. A personal relationship is not necessary or mandatory in any dealings, but I think it does help and increase the odds of making a deal, if there is a deal [to be made], sure.

B/R: Do you feel like it’s becoming a trend around the league for executives to trade with people they know well to eliminate risk? Obviously, any deal that is made comes down to the players involved most of the time, but are teams more sensitive to getting burned in trade talks, whether it’s due to leaks in social media or leaking information to other teams?

Ainge: I think it is a concern. There are a lot of leaks in a lot of organizations. We take notice of what gets out when we talk with other teams and how those things are leaked, so that might prevent us from making a phone call in a sensitive situation until we know for sure. There are all sorts of exploratory conversations and then there are real conversations.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:18:52 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 09:18:06 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

So basically Tatum, Smart and some draft picks. Not against it, but at that price I'd like to hold onto William's and at least one 1st this year. So say add MEM, 14 and 22, we keep 20.

I’d rather a sign and trade with Rozier and keep Smart if NO is willing.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 09:20:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

lol ainge is gonna pressure the heck out of them. Want Tatum? Fine but its gotta be rozier not smart. Otherwise enjoy lonzo ball

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 10:07:07 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

lol ainge is gonna pressure the heck out of them. Want Tatum? Fine but its gotta be rozier not smart. Otherwise enjoy lonzo ball

Counter offer, you want AD? You want to lose kyrie when I trade him so.ewhere else. You want to watch Horford walk when kyrie bolts? Then it smart, Tatum, all the picks.

Rozier is not gonna be in the deal. The BYC rules on sign and trades make the money difficult to work out. He would have to agree to go there. NOP would have to have interest in him. It would have to be agreed to before th hr draft, before rozier can test the market.

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Counter offer, you want AD? You want to lose kyrie when I trade him so.ewhere else. You want to watch Horford walk when kyrie bolts? Then it smart, Tatum, all the picks.

Rozier is not gonna be in the deal. The BYC rules on sign and trades make the money difficult to work out. He would have to agree to go there. NOP would have to have interest in him. It would have to be agreed to before th hr draft, before rozier can test the market.
haha true

I was mostly joking

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 11:38:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Danny Ainge has a strong relationship with Griffin (Griffin worked on Ainge's coaching/video staff in Phoenix). Have a feeling those guys will be talking a lot in the next few months.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1116803375377604608

Old article

"Danny Ainge: Prior Personal Relationships 'Increase Odds of Making a Deal'"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2364246-danny-ainge-prior-personal-relationships-increase-odds-of-making-a-deal.amp.html

In just the last two months, four of the five trades Ainge has made included teams that employ front-office executives who have directly worked with Ainge in the past two decades. Some coached under him with the Phoenix Suns in the mid-1990s (Dallas Mavericks general manager Donnie Nelson). Others had been former front-office lieutenants in Boston (Suns GM Ryan McDonough, Los Angeles Clippers GM Dave Wohl, Memphis Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace).

In a exclusive interview ahead of the NBA trade deadline on Feb. 19, Bleacher Report sat down with Ainge to discuss his recent dealings with former colleagues, and whether trading with someone you know is an emerging trend around the league. 

Bleacher Report: In the past few months, you have made trades with a variety of teams (Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers) that employ executives you have worked with, either in Boston or at other stops in your career. How much of an impact do the relationships you have formed with those guys have on making the deals? 

Danny Ainge: I think it’s easier to talk to people you know. The better you know them, the easier it is to deal with them. Ultimately, still, in most deals, it’s all dependent on the transaction involved, more than any personal relationship. A personal relationship is not necessary or mandatory in any dealings, but I think it does help and increase the odds of making a deal, if there is a deal [to be made], sure.

B/R: Do you feel like it’s becoming a trend around the league for executives to trade with people they know well to eliminate risk? Obviously, any deal that is made comes down to the players involved most of the time, but are teams more sensitive to getting burned in trade talks, whether it’s due to leaks in social media or leaking information to other teams?

Ainge: I think it is a concern. There are a lot of leaks in a lot of organizations. We take notice of what gets out when we talk with other teams and how those things are leaked, so that might prevent us from making a phone call in a sensitive situation until we know for sure. There are all sorts of exploratory conversations and then there are real conversations.

A couple interesting tidbits too.

One, Ainge helped Griffin out back in 2014 by acquiring Tyler Zeller in a three team deal with Cleveland and Brooklyn so he would have the cap space to bring Lebron back (Jarrett Jack was also sent from Cleveland to Brooklyn as part of the deal.)

Two (and I didn't realize this) but apparently the Celtics were on Kyrie's list of teams he wanted to get traded to, according to David Griffin. I just dug this article up from the summer of 2017 (Griffin had already been let go by then.)
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-celtics/former-cleveland-cavaliers-gm-david-griffin-says-kyrie-irving-wants-to-play-for-boston-celtics

Funny because the Celtics weren't originally on Kyrie's list (New York was, which is possibly why he's been linked to the Knicks)
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/21/16012292/kyrie-irving-trade-demand-cavaliers-spurs-heat-knicks-timberwolves-lebron-james

Anyway, there's definitely some positive history between Ainge and Griffin and hope it helps this summer.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 11:42:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love Griffin and NOH is finally serious about their NBA franchise.

With THAT being said if they want Smart they can go pack sand.

I'm serious.

He is this team's Heart and Soul - making IMPACT PLAYS throughout his time here.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 12:49:47 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
If they want Smart give him to them lol. He seems to always get hurt every year heading into the postseason.

And still can't look at him taking 3's and bricking them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)