Author Topic: Cousins to warriors!  (Read 14876 times)

Re: Cousins to warriors!
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2018, 04:06:13 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Marc Stein:

League sources say that Cousins rebuffed New Orleans' offer of a two-year contract extension in the $40 million range after the injury but before the season ended. When that offer was declined, sources say, New Orleans took it off the table.
The Mavericks and the Lakers were also expected to have high-dollar interest in Cousins this summer, but those teams opted to use their cap space elsewhere. The Pelicans had not completely shut the door on bringing Cousins back, but then the opportunity to sign Julius Randle to a two-year deal at $18 million suddenly arose. The Pelicans moved quickly to come to terms with Randle — with the New Orleans star Anthony Davis reportedly serving as an aggressive recruiter.
Word also reached us Monday night that LeBron’s Lakers, after signing Rajon Rondo away from New Orleans and then losing Randle to the Pelicans, had an opportunity to sign Cousins at a one-year price point similar to the one that landed him in Golden State. But I’m told the Lakers passed, clearing the way for the Warriors to infuriate the basketball public yet again.

https://static.nytimes.com/email-content/MSB_3554.html?nlid=86293317

Why did they offer $40M soon after he blew his Achilles? Seems like a large offer for an injury of that magnitude.
If he even returns to 80% of his previous self $20m/year is a bargain though, which is what I assume they were thinking

It’s really not. 80% isn’t great. And they clearly didn’t offer it again (and certainly didn’t raise it).

And apparently most teams agreed, as nobody was banging in his door to lock him up.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2018, 04:09:06 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Marc Stein:

League sources say that Cousins rebuffed New Orleans' offer of a two-year contract extension in the $40 million range after the injury but before the season ended. When that offer was declined, sources say, New Orleans took it off the table.
The Mavericks and the Lakers were also expected to have high-dollar interest in Cousins this summer, but those teams opted to use their cap space elsewhere. The Pelicans had not completely shut the door on bringing Cousins back, but then the opportunity to sign Julius Randle to a two-year deal at $18 million suddenly arose. The Pelicans moved quickly to come to terms with Randle — with the New Orleans star Anthony Davis reportedly serving as an aggressive recruiter.
Word also reached us Monday night that LeBron’s Lakers, after signing Rajon Rondo away from New Orleans and then losing Randle to the Pelicans, had an opportunity to sign Cousins at a one-year price point similar to the one that landed him in Golden State. But I’m told the Lakers passed, clearing the way for the Warriors to infuriate the basketball public yet again.

Serves those bums right for passing on Cousins. Now the Warriors are invincible and the NBA is all but lost.

The season hasn’t even started yet.

« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2018, 04:27:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Marc Stein:

Why did they offer $40M soon after he blew his Achilles? Seems like a large offer for an injury of that magnitude.
If he even returns to 80% of his previous self $20m/year is a bargain though, which is what I assume they were thinking

It’s really not. 80% isn’t great. And they clearly didn’t offer it again (and certainly didn’t raise it).

And apparently most teams agreed, as nobody was banging in his door to lock him up.
80% production is still 20/10/4, so not shabby at all.

But yeah, considering his offers (or lack thereof) I think 80% might be very optimistic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Everyone seems to be operating under the assumption that Boogie will return to his former self and forgetting that he tore his achilles.

For a man his size with his supposed Lack of work ethic I would be surprised if he returned to prior form and wasnt a shell of himself.

« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Everyone seems to be operating under the assumption that Boogie will return to his former self and forgetting that he tore his achilles.

For a man his size with his supposed Lack of work ethic I would be surprised if he returned to prior form and wasnt a shell of himself.

I’m not that concerned about his work ethic — he has a reputation for taking plays off because he gets frustrated about something in the game (a foul, his teammate messing up, missing shots, etc.) but he’s a pretty impressive athlete and I don’t think that happened by accident.  I’m sure he’ll rehab with dedication.  But it’s still an Achilles, and modern medicine has not solved that problem very well, especially for people who are 260 pounds and nearly 7 ft.  That repaired tendon will have a lot asked of it, and a 100% return to prior form, or even 70%, especially within the first half season back, seems incredibly unlikely.

On the other hand, even with limitations, he’s still got a very good chance of being a better player than Zaza Pachulia and Javale McGee.  So it can be both true that Cousins won’t come all the way back and that the Warriors have become an even stronger team.

« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2018, 04:40:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Marc Stein:

Serves those bums right for passing on Cousins. Now the Warriors are invincible and the NBA is all but lost.

There's a reason New Orleans was fine with replacing him with Julius Randle and no other team wanted to pay him more than the mid-level.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Marc Stein:

There's a reason New Orleans was fine with replacing him with Julius Randle and no other team wanted to pay him more than the mid-level.
i agree. let's play the season and see what happens. i believe the celtics will stack up very well against the warriorsn, who are not invincible. cousins wont be back until january, and even then it is not a lock he will return to his former playing ability.

let's play the season and see.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2018, 10:36:46 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Just saw where Anthony Davis didnt really wanted Boogie back..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Below is a trailer to a documentary on DMC.

He mentions he got no offer from the Pelicans, other than that it's mostly complaining in a very Cousins way.

https://youtu.be/o_BCym84joQ

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Update: DMC just walked by me in our hotel lobby in Las Vegas. No limping. He must be good to go! 😀

Jerebko and Klay Thompson as well. Klay seemed to tower over everyone. Probably because he is so thin. Jonas looks like he is still in high school. I bet he gets carded at the clubs.

Mike

« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2018, 09:25:40 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I didn't realize Jerebko had joined the enemy this summer. Too bad—now I can't root for him.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Update: DMC just walked by me in our hotel lobby in Las Vegas. No limping. He must be good to go! 😀

Jerebko and Klay Thompson as well. Klay seemed to tower over everyone. Probably because he is so thin. Jonas looks like he is still in high school. I bet he gets carded at the clubs.

Mike
I think I recently read somewhere that he was playing 5v0 already, which was ahead of schedule. Scary news. Hopefully he causes their locker-room to implode ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Mike
I think I recently read somewhere that he was playing 5v0 already, which was ahead of schedule. Scary news. Hopefully he causes their locker-room to implode ;D

That locker room was showing signs of tiring last year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cousins pushed it over the edge.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
unfortunately I think he'll fit in just fine.  He doesn't have enough duende to disrupt that locker room.
He'll be peer pressured to bits if he takes any plays off...

And it may not matter.  The Warriors play loosey goosey off emotion....He will add to that.  Yuck.