Author Topic: Trade for Courtney Lee  (Read 1899 times)

Trade for Courtney Lee
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
NYK receives: Morris, Rozier, Bird

BOS receives: Lee

The first question you're gonna ask is why?

I want to trade for AD, just like everyone else, but I also don't want to lose Smart. Smart represents our largest filler salary on the team that is not Horford, Kyrie or Hayward. We need another salary like Marcus' if we are going to make this trade work this summer. This is where Courtney Lee comes in, who has 2 years left on his deal making 12 million-ish per. We flip Rozier, Morris, and Bird for Lee straight up. Morris and Rozier are both expiring contracts to we are trading essentially for a bigger salary filler this summer. I also think Lee could contribute off the bench.

New York needs a point guard. Frank has flashes but he's not the stud to pair with Knox and Zinger. Trading for Rozier gives them the opportunity to finally have a starting PG to lead the team while shedding the Lee salary. Morris and Bird are both expiring.

In the summer we swing for the fences.

NOP receives: Lee, Brown, Baynes, MEM 2019 1st, SAC 2019 1st, LAC 2019 1st, BOS 2020 1st, BOS 2020 2nd

BOS receives: Davis

We can now roll out Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Davis, Horford and compete with any team in the league.

Re: Trade for Courtney Lee
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Good idea, but if a team over the cap acquires a player, they cannot combine him with other players in another trade for at least one year after they acquire him.

It's specifically designed to prevent trades like this.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:01:27 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good idea, but if a team over the cap acquires a player, they cannot combine him with other players in another trade for at least one year after they acquire him.

Two months, not one year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Thank-you for the correction. I thought it was a year, but a year might be the length of time before the original team can reacquire the player.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thank-you for the correction. I thought it was a year, but a year might be the length of time before the original team can reacquire the player.

Yeah, you're thinking of a combination of these rules:

A team cannot reacquire a player it traded away during the same season (a season for this purpose being defined as starting on the first day of the regular season and ending on the last day of the Finals). If the player was traded between seasons (i.e., from the first day after the Finals to the last day prior to the start of the next regular season), it cannot reacquire the player prior to the end of the next season.

If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I understand what the OP is getting at but that is just not enough of a return and all to facilitate a deal that might not (probably won't?) even happen. The C's could probably achieve the same goal but actually get someone useful in return that doesn't really harm the team's chances of making the finals this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 11:12:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I understand what the OP is getting at but that is just not enough of a return and all to facilitate a deal that might not (probably won't?) even happen. The C's could probably achieve the same goal but actually get someone useful in return that doesn't really harm the team's chances of making the finals this year.

Yeah, I think you risk losing the team if you dump contributors just to have a tradeable contract.

Also, I doubt Mook's agent would love the deal.  Since that's Rich Paul -- also Davis' agent -- I'm not sure that it would be productive.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Why give 2 better players in a deal for a washed up Lee?  Playoffs this year matter.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 11:20:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I have a question about cap rules myself.

If the Celtics sign a free agent to a two-year MLE deal on the final day of the regular season, could we use the Full MLE (rather than the Taxpayer's)?  How much would count against the luxury tax this season? Is the second year salary based upon the actual amount paid (i.e., the pro-rated salary), or the full MLE?

If we could, I think we'd essentially have a $9 million expiring contract next year to use for trade purposes.  However, there's some risk, as it would have to be a guaranteed contract.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There is no way that is enough for NO to trade Davis to Boston.  It is even worse with Lee and not Smart, but even if Smart was in there that still isn't enough.  It is going to take Tatum unless that Sacto pick ends up at like #2. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 11:52:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
There is no way that is enough for NO to trade Davis to Boston.  It is even worse with Lee and not Smart, but even if Smart was in there that still isn't enough.  It is going to take Tatum unless that Sacto pick ends up at like #2.

Yeah, Tatum will need to be included.

I’d love to keep Smart though.  It’s just going to be hard to do.

My guess is Tatum, Smart, Williams, and three #1s

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
You do realize Doc Rivers is no longer our coach?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah, Tatum will need to be included.

I’d love to keep Smart though.  It’s just going to be hard to do.

My guess is Tatum, Smart, Williams, and three #1s
that'd be a real gut-punch of a deal.  sounds like a deal Danny would seriously consider though

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I forgot Courtney Lee was still in the league to be honest. Certainly one of the most disappointing Celtics in recent memory.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
A) What happened to Saltlover? We could definitely use him.

B) Option 2: If you want to keep Smart, you could do a S&T of Terry, Tatum, Williams and Baynes, plus draft picks. Let's say Terry would get $14m on the open market. We sign him for that amount and, I believe, we get 50% credit. According to the trade machine, it works. It leaves us a bit light up front, so we'd have to fill that.

Mike