Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343812 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
If we have to trade Tatum all we are losing is the difference in player quality between Tatum and Brown long term. How much is that, really?

Is Tatum/Horford/Davis/Irving/Hayward really all that much better long term than Brown/Horford/Davis/Irving/Hayward? Is how good Tatum makes that fivesome than Brown does really so much that you refuse to trade Tatum? I don't think so. You send Tatum rather than Brown if that's what New Orleans wants for Davis. End of discussion because what Tatum brings to the game more than Brown isn't enough to turn down a top 3 player in the league who is only 25-26 years old.

Is there a way for us to acquire Davis without trading Smart too? I’d hate to lose the heart of this team to acquire him but we may have to because of $$$ I think  :(
I don't think so. Smart's $12.5 million contract is the only one on the team that helps to facilitate the trade. Smart is gone if Davis is coming our way. At least in my opinion.

https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1088524039986077697
Just putting this out there:
If BOS has a quiet deadline, they could waive Bird and look to sign someone with the Tax MLE w/ a 2nd non-guaranteed year. Would cost a lot w/ tax, but they could guarantee them for $ matching in a future AD trade, or waive if that never happens.

based on the above, could that help avoid trading Smart?

A non-guaranteed second year wouldn’t do any good, as only guaranteed salary works for matching purposes, I believe. That changed in the last CBA.

his point is that they could guarantee the second year before the trade, would that help?

« Reply #451 on: January 25, 2019, 01:30:29 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The Pelicans will be asking for Jayson Tatum, not Jaylen Brown.

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything
yeah what are the pelicans going to trade Davis for if they don’t get Tatum?  We don’t need to outbid ourselves we just need to outbid the Lakers.

« Reply #452 on: January 25, 2019, 06:03:33 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything
yeah what are the pelicans going to trade Davis for if they don’t get Tatum?  We don’t need to outbid ourselves we just need to outbid the Lakers.

True. Also, Brown is underrated on this board. He’s a very, very good young player. He started the year poorly, adjusting to a new role and dealing with injury, but he is returning to form. His last 20 games his true shooting is up to 58%, his 3-PT is around 38%. His team defense is coming around. He was our leading scorer in the playoffs last year and we desperately needed what he was able to bring physically.

As an aside, Tatum, thanks to all those long 2s, is at 53% TS. Thanks a lot Kobe.

« Reply #453 on: January 25, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything
Even if no other teams were interested, to outbid the Lakers Tatum will have to be included unless that Sacto pick strikes gold (like #2 pick gold). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #454 on: January 25, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything

True. Also, Brown is underrated on this board. He’s a very, very good young player. He started the year poorly, adjusting to a new role and dealing with injury, but he is returning to form. His last 20 games his true shooting is up to 58%, his 3-PT is around 38%. His team defense is coming around. He was our leading scorer in the playoffs last year and we desperately needed what he was able to bring physically.

As an aside, Tatum, thanks to all those long 2s, is at 53% TS. Thanks a lot Kobe.
He's even made 13 of his last 16 FTA...true story.

« Reply #455 on: January 25, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything
Even if no other teams were interested, to outbid the Lakers Tatum will have to be included unless that Sacto pick strikes gold (like #2 pick gold).

I'm not so sure. What do the Lakers actually have to offer? They don't own any other picks than their own.

The Lakers have a couple of highly drafted players (Ball, Ingram), who so far are unable to fulfil their promise. Hart and Zubac are nice prospects, but also haven't proven much. Kuzma is their best trading chip, but he's also the guy that the Lakers would want to keep.

I have no objection to include Tatum in the deal over Brown, since that can save us some assets, but I don't believe it's necessary. In fact Brown might be a better trading chip than whatever the Lakers have.

Even if the Lakers desperately offer Ball, Hart, Ingram, Kuzma, Zubac + unprotected picks: 2019, 2021, 2023, 2025, the Celtics could still top that offer. Though you probably shouldn't.

I'm really confident that the Celtics will trade for Davis. My concerns are primarily whether Ainge is prepared to let Horford, Hayward or Smart go as salary filler, or that Davis tells us that he won't resign in Boston. The Pelicans could stubbornly send Davis to LA if they don't get everything they want from us, but they don't want to help the Lakers either.

« Reply #456 on: January 25, 2019, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Tatum is the wild card. If the C's are actually willing to deal him, the C's are in a big advantage in most AD talks. They got Tatum and picks to center a package around. Or Brown + Williams + Picks IF that's still possible (though idk anymore).

The Lakers could offer all of Hart, Kuzma, Ingram, Ball but will they? Maybe 3 of the 4 but probably not all. Lebron himself isn't exactly young anymore so LAL would pretty much be banking on a 2-year all-in window. Sixers may offer Simmons + future pick(s) but I still question if AD/Embiid would fit and who are the guards for the Sixers? 40M/Year Butler? Fultz? Frankly I also think Tatum as a primary or secondary option is better than Simmons (yeah I said it). It's just on this team Tatum more often looks like a 3rd/4th option (but we saw what he did in the playoffs last year as the #2 guy).

It's a good thing that AD is likely staying put through this deadline, so we got at least a chance this summer to acquire him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #457 on: January 25, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Tatum is the wild card. If the C's are actually willing to deal him, the C's are in a big advantage in most AD talks. They got Tatum and picks to center a package around. Or Brown + Williams + Picks IF that's still possible (though idk anymore).

The Lakers could offer all of Hart, Kuzma, Ingram, Ball but will they? Maybe 3 of the 4 but probably not all. Lebron himself isn't exactly young anymore so LAL would pretty much be banking on a 2-year all-in window. Sixers may offer Simmons + future pick(s) but I still question if AD/Embiid would fit and who are the guards for the Sixers? 40M/Year Butler? Fultz? Frankly I also think Tatum as a primary or secondary option is better than Simmons (yeah I said it). It's just on this team Tatum more often looks like a 3rd/4th option (but we saw what he did in the playoffs last year as the #2 guy).

It's a good thing that AD is likely staying put through this deadline, so we got at least a chance this summer to acquire him.
It wouldn't be a short window for the Lakers if they trade for AD and then acquire a 3rd star in free agency. 

I think AD/Embiid would work well. AD doesn't like playing center anyway.  Most teams wouldn't have the bigs to defend them or would be forced to play suboptimal 2 big lineups.  On defense, the lane would be a no go zone when they are both on the court.    Chances are AD won't have Philly on his list of teams.  If I'm Philly after AD is traded, I'd put together an offer for Jrue Holiday.  He worked well with Rondo and they could really use his defense. 

One team that could be in play for AD is the Knicks.  They could offer Porzingis, their 2019 1st and Ntilikina.  If Knicks are really in play to get KD, AD might put them on his list. 

« Reply #458 on: January 25, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything

Classic example of you underrating the value of Boston players, while overrating the value of players on the 29 other teams.

If rosters were reversed. You would talk about Ball and Ingram not showing much improvement since they were drafted and Kuzma turning 24 in the summer and being a one dimensional player. Plus, how rebuilding teams want draft picks and we don't have any of value to give.

« Reply #459 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

It wouldn't be a short window for the Lakers if they trade for AD and then acquire a 3rd star in free agency. 

I think AD/Embiid would work well. AD doesn't like playing center anyway.  Most teams wouldn't have the bigs to defend them or would be forced to play suboptimal 2 big lineups.  On defense, the lane would be a no go zone when they are both on the court.    Chances are AD won't have Philly on his list of teams.  If I'm Philly after AD is traded, I'd put together an offer for Jrue Holiday.  He worked well with Rondo and they could really use his defense. 

One team that could be in play for AD is the Knicks.  They could offer Porzingis, their 2019 1st and Ntilikina.  If Knicks are really in play to get KD, AD might put them on his list.

Actually yeah you're right about the Lakers, but they'd have to be real sure another star is coming for it to work.

And wait, AD has a list? Wonder if BOS is on it. It's important because he will be a rental next year so have to make sure he's willing to re-sign.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #460 on: January 25, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything

Classic example of you underrating the value of Boston players, while overrating the value of players on the 29 other teams.

If rosters were reversed. You would talk about Ball and Ingram not showing much improvement since they were drafted and Kuzma turning 24 in the summer and being a one dimensional player. Plus, how rebuilding teams want draft picks and we don't have any of value to give.
Ingram is still a better prospect than Brown is around the league.  For example, here is a re-draft from last summer by New Arena, that still has the top 3 as Simmons, Ingram, and then Brown.  http://newarena.com/nba/2016-nba-re-draft-one-year-later/27/.  That doesn't even account for Ball, Kuzma, or Hart. 

If the Sacto pick is like 13th and the Memphis pick doesn't transfer, then Boston doesn't have any real high draft picks to add either. 

The simple reality is, unless the Sacto pick strikes gold, Boston cannot beat a Lakers offer without including Tatum.  That isn't me being a hater or whatever nonsense you constantly spout.  That is reality.

« Reply #461 on: January 25, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything

Ingram is still a better prospect than Brown is around the league.  For example, here is a re-draft from last summer by New Arena, that still has the top 3 as Simmons, Ingram, and then Brown.  http://newarena.com/nba/2016-nba-re-draft-one-year-later/27/.  That doesn't even account for Ball, Kuzma, or Hart. 

If the Sacto pick is like 13th and the Memphis pick doesn't transfer, then Boston doesn't have any real high draft picks to add either. 

The simple reality is, unless the Sacto pick strikes gold, Boston cannot beat a Lakers offer without including Tatum.  That isn't me being a hater or whatever nonsense you constantly spout.  That is reality.

Brown is a better prospect than Ingram for sure. And that re-draft doesn't make much sense, since Jamal Murray and Domantas Sabonis are also definitely better than Ingram and also better than Brown. And they have Buddy Hield at 14th place? That's ridiculous. You don't have to think that he's Stephen-Curry-like to disagree with that assessment.

« Reply #462 on: January 25, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything

Have you actually bothered to watch Ingram play? If so, what is he actually good at? He takes a lot of long 2’s and isn’t a good 3PT shooter (I’m sure you haven’t bothered to look at his percentages), so he’s the embodiment of where the league is not trending. He’s not really a good defender and he hasn’t added much bulk to his skeleton body. I’d rather have Brown to be honest. We’ve seen him excel at the highest levels (2018 playoffs) and worst case can be a first tier 3 and D guy.

The Memphis pick will only gain value if it doesn’t convey. Not sure where you’re been or what you read, but everyone is saying the same thing. Unless you think a higher pick in better drafts are less valuable.

If you want to really pretend you don’t have any bias towards the Celtics, then you’re only fooling yourself. It’s pretty obvious to everyone that has read your posts. If you’re trying to hide it you aren’t doing a very good job.

« Reply #463 on: January 25, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Simmons>Brown>Ingram.

Mike

« Reply #464 on: January 25, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything

Brown is a better prospect than Ingram for sure. And that re-draft doesn't make much sense, since Jamal Murray and Domantas Sabonis are also definitely better than Ingram and also better than Brown. And they have Buddy Hield at 14th place? That's ridiculous. You don't have to think that he's Stephen-Curry-like to disagree with that assessment.
Hield now would be much higher, but over the summer I'm not so sure that is the case as he wasn't much more then a very good shooter who hadn't shown much else and who was very old compared to everyone else.  Hield took a massive leap this year and looks like he could be a solid #1/#2 type option, which wasn't something anyone could have easily foreseen before this season.