Author Topic: If Kings Pick Is #14, Then Who Do You Think We Take There?  (Read 9134 times)

Re: If Kings Pick Is #14, Then Who Do You Think We Take There?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Give the Pelicans 4 1st round picks and Jaylen Brown.

That would be quite a steal. We would still need more salary to make the deal work, and given the way our team is built that probably means sending someone we would miss.

Jaylen is slated to make $6.5 million next year. If we can make all four draft selections for NO (9, 14, 18, 23) and count those salaries toward the deal, that would put us around $16.5 million.

Davis will make $27.1 million next year. Because we can't take in more than 125% of the salary we send out, we would need to send at least $21.7M in salary to the Pellies, which means we would need to find at least $6 million more for the trade to go through. We could send significantly more.

My fear is that this is where the Marcus Smart contract is going to come into play. I don't think the Pellies are going to want to fill that $6 mm gap with the flotsam and jetsam sitting at the end of the Celtics' bench.  I would dearly love to sign Terry R or (even better) Marcus Morris to a $12-15M contract and include one of them in a trade to the Pellies, I can't see either player or the Pellies wanting to be part of that deal.  I think the Pellies are going to want Smart - Jaylen plus Smart plus picks isn't exactly Davis, but it is at least a strong offer, likely to be better than anybody else is offering.  That deal may well be worth it, but it is going to sting.

Weirdly, after having so much guard depth, that deal would leave us  needing point guard and shooting guard depth to replace Smart, Brown, and Rozier.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 09:27:54 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Whomever New Orleans tells us to take for them.

NBA Commissioner addresses draft crowd...

"With any or all of their picks in the first round of the NBA draft for this year and other years too if necessary, the Boston Celtics select Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans."

Applause.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 09:41:28 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Been finally doing some deep dives into the mock drafts and identifying the kind of players I'd be looking for.

I think I agree with the sentiment that you take 1 of the 3 late lotto big men in Bol, Porter, or Hachimura. Of the three I think Bol has the highest ceiling, Porter has the highest ladder (term I like that means most likely to reach his ceiling), and Hachimura has the highest floor. I'd probably say swing for the fences and go Bol.

There's also Brandon Clarke but I cant get a read on that guy to save my life. If I was taking a non big I'd probably be looking for Alexander Walker or Kevin Porter Jr.

With the next 2 picks I would try to draft and stash Goga Bitadze to hedge my bet if the big at 14 didn't work out and come away with either Grant Williams, P.J. Washington, or possibly Lugentz Dort (he's fallen off but I think he was super intriguing when he was on his run early in the season)

Looking forward to the draft, its a really difficult class to grasp. Could be terrible after the top 4 or it could be loaded to the gills with mid tier rotation guys. Only time will tell.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Extremely thin year for PGs and Bigs, unfortunately.

I guess we could look at an Avery/Malik Monk type option.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 10:41:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
For players that will likely be available at no 14, I like Coby White (below is a link to the mock draft)
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/3/6/18246068/nba-mock-draft-2019-zion-williamson-knicks-bulls-rj-barrett-ja-morant

Make a long story short, he's a shooting guard who can score in bunches and feel that we could use someone like that. Below is the write-up on him on SB Nation. He's actually currently projected at 16.

Coby White, G, North Carolina
White is a 6’5 freshman who has shined taking over point guard duties for UNC. More of a scorer than a traditional floor general, White has been splashing threes (38 percent) and stockpiling buckets while also impressing with his facilitating ability with a 26 percent assist rate. Teams will want him to prove his defense. With UNC in position to make a deep NCAA tournament run, he should get plenty of chances to impress people in March.

There's a few gems here and there, but I gotta be honest, this year's draft doesn't really impress me that much. Even Zion doesn't do much for me. I liked Ja Morant as a pick until I realize just how skinny he is. With that frame, he would get crushed in the NBA.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:52:05 PM by gpap »

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 10:50:08 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Hopefully Ainge doesn't miss out on another Giannis.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Give the Pelicans 4 1st round picks and Jaylen Brown.

J-A-Y-L-E-N B-R-O-W-N is a  strange way of spelling Jayson Tatum.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 11:33:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This draft will be interesting to watch not because it's considered great, but because picks 5-18 or so will be very hard to predict.  You can find lots of guys between 5-9 on one draft site in the late teens on another mock.  I haven't seen Givony's mock  >:(

At 14 I'd feel good about the following:  Doumbouya, Hachimura, N. Alexander Walker, Bol Bol (that would mean Danny liked him which would be pretty exciting), Hunter, Garland, N. Little, Culver, K. Johnson

With Clippers pick I'd feel good about:  Any of the above players, Grant Williams, PJ Washington, J. Porter

With Celtics pick:  Any of the above, K Porter Jr., Thybulle, Herro, B. Clarke

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's a pretty weak draft and I typically fall for most draft's hype. Not this year. I'd consider getting shooting or athletic size. DA will probably reach for Grant Williams. If Rui is there you need to take him. I understand why Grizz have no need/desire to keep their pick this year. Other than Ja, Zion and RJ it's the worst draft since 2013

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 06:16:02 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Give me Rui Hachimura from Gonzaga. Reminds me a lot of Thaddeus Young.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 06:49:42 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
After the first 3 or so picks it's a flat line for the next 10-12 picks, meaning talent is about the same.
That said, it's difficult to say who the C's will take, given the FA status of 2 key players and one RFA.
I would love to get a shooter or big guy.
Darius Garland would be my first choice, followed by Jontay Porter.

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Another small-forward  ;D
You jest but I would love it if De'Andre Hunter falls to 14.

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 08:26:54 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
whoever the Pelicans ask us to pick
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Hopefully Ainge doesn't miss out on another Giannis.

Like Whom for example?

I would really like Nasir Little, especially if we lose one of our wings in a trade. Bol Bol wouldnt be a bad choice either.

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 09:39:04 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
For players that will likely be available at no 14, I like Coby White (below is a link to the mock draft)
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/3/6/18246068/nba-mock-draft-2019-zion-williamson-knicks-bulls-rj-barrett-ja-morant

Make a long story short, he's a shooting guard who can score in bunches and feel that we could use someone like that. Below is the write-up on him on SB Nation. He's actually currently projected at 16.

Coby White, G, North Carolina
White is a 6’5 freshman who has shined taking over point guard duties for UNC. More of a scorer than a traditional floor general, White has been splashing threes (38 percent) and stockpiling buckets while also impressing with his facilitating ability with a 26 percent assist rate. Teams will want him to prove his defense. With UNC in position to make a deep NCAA tournament run, he should get plenty of chances to impress people in March.

There's a few gems here and there, but I gotta be honest, this year's draft doesn't really impress me that much. Even Zion doesn't do much for me. I liked Ja Morant as a pick until I realize just how skinny he is. With that frame, he would get crushed in the NBA.

Small frames wont be crushed in today's NBA. The new rules make sure even the softest players can succeed.