Author Topic: Is Fab Melo really a "bust"?  (Read 19933 times)

Re: Is Fab Melo really a "bust"?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I believe we can all agree a "bust" is a player who does not live up to expectations given their given draft position. Example: Marvin Williams, drafted 2nd overall and failed to produce like most would expect from a 2nd overall pick. The list goes on, Kwame, Sweetney, O'Bryant, and so on. These players were all top ten picks but failed to produce at their expected position. If some of these players were selected outside of the lottery they would not have the "bust" label.

This brings me to Fab Melo. I've seen a lot of people, on this board even, hating on Fab. Saying he will undoubtedly be a "bust" if the celtics draft him with either one of their first rounders. Fab has been defined by scouts as a legit 7 footer with promising defensive instincts and a very limited offensive game.

He's most often compared to samual dalembert and brandon haywood. So, is Fab Melo really a "bust"?

I would probably wait to answer this question until he gets a few NBA games under his belt!!!!!

He was an underachiever in college but that by no means [dang]s him in the pros...if college always predicated success in the NBA, Bobby Hurley would be a Hall of Famer

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »

Offline T-LoDaniels

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 13
Here's interesting stat about Fab Melo:

Led team in offensive fouls drawn (Charges)
Led team in Blocked Shot (2.9 blocks/game)

Impressive stat don't you think.

edit: The low rebounding numbers could be because of zone defense Syracuse plays.

The high blocked shot numbers could be because of the zone defense they play as well.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Here's interesting stat about Fab Melo:

Led team in offensive fouls drawn (Charges)
Led team in Blocked Shot (2.9 blocks/game)

Impressive stat don't you think.

edit: The low rebounding numbers could be because of zone defense Syracuse plays.

The high blocked shot numbers could be because of the zone defense they play as well.

I think high blocked shots are more impressive in a zone. In zone, teams settle for outside jumpers. We're talking about 7'0 center who has 9'2 standing reach. Something gotta give.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K-EKA_vwOU

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Projecting talent is difficult.

Most people read the scouting reports, and assume that what they read is what the player will be for the rest of his career.

Melo has better touch than Dwight Howard, and he's only been playing or even watching basketball for 6 years.

Most prospects started playing when they were 6 or younger.

Big men develop later than smaller guards, and when you have a big Big big man, and he's only played for 6 years, you have to assume he will continue to get better.

I don't think Melo will ever be a smart player. He apparently had trouble remembering even 5-6 simple plays if he got excited on the other end of the court.

But look at him shoot. His stroke is nice, and his touch is fairly soft. When Dwight Howard and Perk shoot mid-range jumpers, it is very ugly and the touch is wildly inconsistent.

Melo has a natural coordination that is better than those guys. PPG won't tell you how soft a guy's touch is, or could become.

Melo should become a relatively consistent 15 foot jump shooter, especially if he picks just a couple spots to master. Being 7 ft tall and a jumper, Melo will be able to get his shot off in most situations without adjusting too much.

If he sticks to good jump shots, I can see him becoming almost as efficient as Brandon Bass from 15-17 feet. Not great, but definitely worthwhile from a 7ft big man who plays good defense. A viable option, enough to pull his man out of the paint and open up penetration for Rondo and Bradley.
Enough to become decent at the pick and pop in the next couple years.

Fab Melo in year two should be a viable starting center, IF Doc doesn't require him to be a master of the playbook on offense and defense. Doc played Hollins regular minute, even though he had no clue about the playbook. If Doc can take that lenient approach with Melo, Melo should be able to contribute right away, and get consistently better for the next 6 years.

By the end of this next regular season, Melo could be good enough to be the difference between a first or second round exit, and a deep playoff run.

Melo will become a better rebounder as he gets more experience. Last season was his first and only college season with extended minutes. He also challenged a lot of shots, which drew him away from a lot of rebounds. He will get better, and his body is getting better as well.

Syracuse almost never ran plays for Melo, and hardly ever even passed the ball inside to him. Melo shot a high field goal percentage, even if most of his points came off dunks.

He shot decent on jump shots when he did shoot them, but he played on a perimeter-oriented team with many good scorers. Waiters, Jardine, and Joseph were chuckers.

I think Melo can be a top 15 center in the league within 2-3 years, with good development from the coaching staff.

He's always going to make a few mistakes remembering plays or rotations, but every player has faults that we accept.

Paul Pierce is always going to turn it over too much. You take the good with the bad, and if the overall package looks appealing, especially in the long-run, you definitely consider taking the chance.

A mediocre center is worth 6-10 million dollars. Melo will probably play like a 5 million dollar player as a rookie.

A $5 million center usually isn't as good as a $5 million guard.

Melo being at a high paid position weighs into the equation when comparing him to smaller prospects that might be slightly better.

If we end up playing DHoward or Bynum in the playoffs in the next 5 years, we might really regret passing on Melo back in '12.

If we were forward looking, we would probably realize that this draft is our big chance to make a cheap, major improvement to the Celtics franchise for the next half decade or more.

We should probably be thinking about the '12-'13 season as a rebuilding year, even if the Celtics put an entertaining and competitive team on the floor.

Drafting for Win Now is pretty short-sighted, and it could lead to a decade of playoff bubble basketball.

KG might want to win now, but he'll be gone probably in 1 year at the most, and after that, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Kevin Garnett won't be walking through that door.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Projecting talent is difficult.

Most people read the scouting reports, and assume that what they read is what the player will be for the rest of his career.

Melo has better touch than Dwight Howard, and he's only been playing or even watching basketball for 6 years.

Most prospects started playing when they were 6 or younger.

Big men develop later than smaller guards, and when you have a big Big big man, and he's only played for 6 years, you have to assume he will continue to get better.

I don't think Melo will ever be a smart player. He apparently had trouble remembering even 5-6 simple plays if he got excited on the other end of the court.

But look at him shoot. His stroke is nice, and his touch is fairly soft. When Dwight Howard and Perk shoot mid-range jumpers, it is very ugly and the touch is wildly inconsistent.

Melo has a natural coordination that is better than those guys. PPG won't tell you how soft a guy's touch is, or could become.

Melo should become a relatively consistent 15 foot jump shooter, especially if he picks just a couple spots to master. Being 7 ft tall and a jumper, Melo will be able to get his shot off in most situations without adjusting too much.

If he sticks to good jump shots, I can see him becoming almost as efficient as Brandon Bass from 15-17 feet. Not great, but definitely worthwhile from a 7ft big man who plays good defense. A viable option, enough to pull his man out of the paint and open up penetration for Rondo and Bradley.
Enough to become decent at the pick and pop in the next couple years.

Fab Melo in year two should be a viable starting center, IF Doc doesn't require him to be a master of the playbook on offense and defense. Doc played Hollins regular minute, even though he had no clue about the playbook. If Doc can take that lenient approach with Melo, Melo should be able to contribute right away, and get consistently better for the next 6 years.

By the end of this next regular season, Melo could be good enough to be the difference between a first or second round exit, and a deep playoff run.

Melo will become a better rebounder as he gets more experience. Last season was his first and only college season with extended minutes. He also challenged a lot of shots, which drew him away from a lot of rebounds. He will get better, and his body is getting better as well.

Syracuse almost never ran plays for Melo, and hardly ever even passed the ball inside to him. Melo shot a high field goal percentage, even if most of his points came off dunks.

He shot decent on jump shots when he did shoot them, but he played on a perimeter-oriented team with many good scorers. Waiters, Jardine, and Joseph were chuckers.

I think Melo can be a top 15 center in the league within 2-3 years, with good development from the coaching staff.

He's always going to make a few mistakes remembering plays or rotations, but every player has faults that we accept.

Paul Pierce is always going to turn it over too much. You take the good with the bad, and if the overall package looks appealing, especially in the long-run, you definitely consider taking the chance.

A mediocre center is worth 6-10 million dollars. Melo will probably play like a 5 million dollar player as a rookie.

A $5 million center usually isn't as good as a $5 million guard.

Melo being at a high paid position weighs into the equation when comparing him to smaller prospects that might be slightly better.

If we end up playing DHoward or Bynum in the playoffs in the next 5 years, we might really regret passing on Melo back in '12.

If we were forward looking, we would probably realize that this draft is our big chance to make a cheap, major improvement to the Celtics franchise for the next half decade or more.

We should probably be thinking about the '12-'13 season as a rebuilding year, even if the Celtics put an entertaining and competitive team on the floor.

Drafting for Win Now is pretty short-sighted, and it could lead to a decade of playoff bubble basketball.

KG might want to win now, but he'll be gone probably in 1 year at the most, and after that, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Kevin Garnett won't be walking through that door.

very well said. this kid is potentially a defensive beast. I'm really guessing the only reason he dropped in the draft way low is because of his experience and the academic issues he had which clearly would have nothing to do in the NBA.

He is raw. But his defensive instincts can be a productive asset in the NBA right now. Imagine if he hones that craft and be a smarter defender with proper coaching and veteran leadership, something that the Celtic have.

Im not saying he's a superstar material, far from it. But in this draft, the way we are positioned, this is a gamble the C's should take. I believe there's more reward than risk here.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
His low rebounding average per game was also due to his low minutes...probably foul trouble.

I'd roll the dice and hope for the best, instead of the bust.

7 feet with defensive skills and offensive potential is nothing to sneer at.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
His low rebounding average per game was also due to his low minutes...probably foul trouble.

I'd roll the dice and hope for the best, instead of the bust.

7 feet with defensive skills and offensive potential is nothing to sneer at.

Agreed here.

By the way, this is SwishScout.com's clip of Fab's rebounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBk-t40Db6Y&feature=player_embedded

While he does average a few rebounds, I noticed something when I'm looking at it. Maybe it's just me, but I see this kid is active down low. Yeah, he doesn't get as much rebounds and maybe he needs to work on that, but he sure as heck won't give it up easy. Personally, I would want that for my center.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I believe we can all agree a "bust" is a player who does not live up to expectations given their given draft position. Example: Marvin Williams, drafted 2nd overall and failed to produce like most would expect from a 2nd overall pick. The list goes on, Kwame, Sweetney, O'Bryant, and so on. These players were all top ten picks but failed to produce at their expected position. If some of these players were selected outside of the lottery they would not have the "bust" label.

This brings me to Fab Melo. I've seen a lot of people, on this board even, hating on Fab. Saying he will undoubtedly be a "bust" if the celtics draft him with either one of their first rounders. Fab has been defined by scouts as a legit 7 footer with promising defensive instincts and a very limited offensive game.

He's most often compared to samual dalembert and brandon haywood. So, is Fab Melo really a "bust"?

People on this blog call J.R. Giddens and Gabe Pruitt busts, and they were 2nd rounders for all intents and purposes.

I think most of us see Melo as a 2nd rounder who is only a possible 1st rounder because he is 7-feet tall.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
The key is Melo's basic coordination. At that height, he can score down low over the majority of centers, with just one or two go-to moves.

If Melo can shoot decent from 15 feet, as he shows every sign of being able to do, he should be able to also show a basic half hook shot and up and under within a year or two.

He's probably better than Perk right now, with nothing but upside from there. A poor man's Tyson Chandler, with a better jumper.

Better than DeAndre Jordan, who Danny passed on last time, costing a championship or two.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »

Offline T-LoDaniels

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 13
The key is Melo's basic coordination. At that height, he can score down low over the majority of centers, with just one or two go-to moves.

If Melo can shoot decent from 15 feet, as he shows every sign of being able to do, he should be able to also show a basic half hook shot and up and under within a year or two.

He's probably better than Perk right now, with nothing but upside from there. A poor man's Tyson Chandler, with a better jumper.

Better than DeAndre Jordan, who Danny passed on last time, costing a championship or two.

Lol. Better than Perk?? You are absolutely delusional. I'm not a Perkins apologist, but you are talking about the starting center on a NBA finalist team. He's also arguably the best low post defender in the league. Fans always overreact to "signs" of things that a prospect "could" develop. Let's get realistic here

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Melo is a very interesting player/project. Definitely some high upside here. He has good footwork in the post, but seems to be a bit robotic  because of his inexperience playing the game. Really like the form on his jumper. Very high release point and excellent follow through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K-EKA_vwOU

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can't really be a bust without being in the NBA first

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 709
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Fab Melo has almost no offensive game...he is lazy and gets into foul trouble way too much. I don't want the Celtics picking him. He will be a bust. no work ethic at all

Boston needs impact guys now...can't afford to let rookies sit on the bench for a year and not contribute (moore, Bradley, johnson)

i certainly don't like a front court of fab melo, steisma and johnson. there is little talent offensively there. I am certain the Cs take a Sf/PF at 21...but reaching on a waste like Fab Melo with pick 22 is not what they need. they need offense in this draft

I mean does anyone think Jajuan Johnson is going to be rotation player next year? Moore? they cannot afford to more misses to warm the bench with those 2 guys..who showed very little last year (esp. johnson

In the end, I do believe Danny takes Melo at 22...because it will help KG decide to return (b/c he can move back to his preferred PF position). I just don't see him adding anything. He played defense in a zone at Syracuse.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:11:10 PM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
The horrible work ethic is my biggest concern. If he can't remember the plays he won't see any court time anyway.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
If he didn't have a work ethic he would not have completely transformed his body in one year. A process that continues as we speak.

Combine commentary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZjqJblPoQg