Author Topic: Is Fab Melo really a "bust"?  (Read 19938 times)

Is Fab Melo really a "bust"?
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I believe we can all agree a "bust" is a player who does not live up to expectations given their given draft position. Example: Marvin Williams, drafted 2nd overall and failed to produce like most would expect from a 2nd overall pick. The list goes on, Kwame, Sweetney, O'Bryant, and so on. These players were all top ten picks but failed to produce at their expected position. If some of these players were selected outside of the lottery they would not have the "bust" label.

This brings me to Fab Melo. I've seen a lot of people, on this board even, hating on Fab. Saying he will undoubtedly be a "bust" if the celtics draft him with either one of their first rounders. Fab has been defined by scouts as a legit 7 footer with promising defensive instincts and a very limited offensive game.

He's most often compared to samual dalembert and brandon haywood. So, is Fab Melo really a "bust"?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Is Fab Melo really a "bust"?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Unknown.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
6 rebound per game, let his team down on multiple occasions , no real offensive skill . Please stay far away from this kid . Sounds like Perk with attitude problems ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
6 rebound per game, let his team down on multiple occasions , no real offensive skill . Please stay far away from this kid . Sounds like Perk with attitude problems ;)

Had academic problems but not really a pain in the you know what. Has good form on his jump shot. Athletic and naturally strong.

By the way, he's only been playing basketball for 6 years.

I disagree to stay away from him, if anything all this kid does is proper coaching and he can be a productive defensive center with an okay mid range game. I don't mind at all if he has no post moves as long as he can anchor a defense, which he has high potential to be one.

I'd gamble a first round for him. He can already be a limited player on his first few years helping out defensively while still learning.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
6 rebound per game, let his team down on multiple occasions , no real offensive skill ...... Sounds like Perk with attitude problems ;)

Agree with the 1st part, which are the reasons why he lasts (if he does) until 21, otherwise he is lottery.

The Perk part, I'm not sure that I am on board with. Melo is much more athletic than Perk. The'Cuse did far better with him in the lineup than without him. He is an impact player on his defense alone.

I might take a chance on him if I were Danny.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Multiple occasions? Do you have examples? The bad grades do not bother me as much, it's not very easy for these kids to focus on school when they're attempting a national championship run and going to the NBA.

He is bigger than perk and much more athletic.

I will agree with you, the 6 rebounds a game does bother me.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I dont really know if you should call Marvin Williams a bust. He is a solid good role player. It isnt his fault that Atlanta wasted that pick on him..
But back to business.. Yes this guy is a bust. Cant rebound, Doesnt have a single post move. Just stay away from him please.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

Offline T-LoDaniels

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 13
Yes he is.

Cons:
- He doesn't rebound well for his size
- No offensive game whatsoever
- Low BB IQ
- He CANNOT be an enforcer (doesn't show enough aggression)
- Has been known to lose concentration when rotating on defense

Pros:
- He's tall
- Decent shot-blocker

So he's a tall dude who can block shots. We totally need that right? (Stiemsma says hi). Honestly, I don't see his ceiling being much higher than Stiemsma, AND he'll take 2 or 3 years to develop into a serviceable player. Just a waste of a pick

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
big time bust
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he is a huge bust.  I do not think he is athletic and he has had conditioning problems too.  He might be athletic to your average Joe but to the average player he is not athletic.

He lacks heart and that can't be taught.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Multiple occasions? Do you have examples? The bad grades do not bother me as much, it's not very easy for these kids to focus on school when they're attempting a national championship run and going to the NBA.

Stop.
Do you know all the resources available to these student athletes for ensure they meet academic eligibility? They're required to hold 2.0 gpa's - that's it. The fact that he couldn't do that (with all the extra tutoring he undoubtedly received and other help), it screams lazy. It mindboggles me that these kids get scholarships to play ball but can't meet the requirements to remain eligible - like they don't take it seriously. He let down his team - he missed that championship run because of his academic issues.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Stop.
Do you know all the resources available to these student athletes for ensure they meet academic eligibility? They're required to hold 2.0 gpa's - that's it. The fact that he couldn't do that (with all the extra tutoring he undoubtedly received and other help), it screams lazy. It mindboggles me that these kids get scholarships to play ball but can't meet the requirements to remain eligible - like they don't take it seriously. He let down his team - he missed that championship run because of his academic issues.

Academic problems is what the Lopez brothers had in Stanford as well, which is why they declared for the draft early. No one called them lazy (not that they're a work horse).

Some kids just don't want to study, and that is not a good thing I know. But it does not right away translate to his basketball. What if he's just lazy to study? He showed improvement in his sophomore year before the issues came in, i could say he works pretty hard (at least) on that side.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Stop.

Well I for one am glad that if we drafted him, its not to do my math homework.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
everytime i seen dude play he was so wack lol poor rebounder low basketball IQ horrific nd clueless on offense I'd be SO heated if we picked up dat bum

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Here's interesting stat about Fab Melo:

Led team in offensive fouls drawn (Charges)
Led team in Blocked Shot (2.9 blocks/game)

Impressive stat don't you think.

edit: The low rebounding numbers could be because of zone defense Syracuse plays.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:15:32 PM by Change »