Author Topic: Free Throws in the NBA : It's Just Foul  (Read 2763 times)

Free Throws in the NBA : It's Just Foul
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
I just dont understand how there are so many blind people in the world. The National Basketball Association is foul, for you guessed it, calling fouls. Its just unbelievable that we all watch a "sport" where the game is put into 3 individuals hands without ANY way of challenging their decisions. In the NFL, at least when a call is made, they are MAN enough to let the coaches CHALLENGE the decisions they made and potentially overturn a called that, you guessed it again, may not have been correct. The game as it is already takes around two and a half to three hours. What would be the issue if coaches were able to challenge 3 calls per half? Do you want to know why that will never happen? THE NBA HAS A "SCRIPT" OF WHAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE HAPPEN. Thats why. Why do the refs huddle up before the game and discuss "strategy" for an hour? Shouldnt they just come to the arena, ref a ballgame by the books, and then maybe chat afterwards over some dinner? Has anyone EVER looked at the NBA Champions FT stats over the last 15 years? The game of basketball is the one sport where a referee can make a call, and even though 15000 screaming fans know its wrong, the call is ok? Because as Stern says "They are humas nd make mistakes..." If they ae so human, why not let a coach use a challenge? How many times has a team gone on a 10-0 run on a team to get back in the gme and all of a sudden a TERRIBLE offensive foul is called? Or over the back? Or my personal favorite, "the Loose Ball Foul"? I will probably NEVER stop watching the NBA cause #1 I'm a huge Celtics fan and #2 cause I love basketball, but I just dont see how this is ok. The whole Tim Donague thing is practically GONE now, and this guy worked for the company and stated practically verything thats being said here, yet, its a none issue? I guess all in all this is a rant, but I needed to get it out. Oh yea, and good win by the Magic tonight huh? How about 15-8 FT Attempts in the 4th quarter and you guessed it, their last 10 points were from the charity stripe. THE NBA: Where SCRIPTING HAPPENS

Re: Free Throws in the NBA : It's Just Foul
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I just dont understand how there are so many blind people in the world. The National Basketball Association is foul, for you guessed it, calling fouls. Its just unbelievable that we all watch a "sport" where the game is put into 3 individuals hands without ANY way of challenging their decisions. In the NFL, at least when a call is made, they are MAN enough to let the coaches CHALLENGE the decisions they made and potentially overturn a called that, you guessed it again, may not have been correct. The game as it is already takes around two and a half to three hours. What would be the issue if coaches were able to challenge 3 calls per half? Do you want to know why that will never happen? THE NBA HAS A "SCRIPT" OF WHAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE HAPPEN. Thats why. Why do the refs huddle up before the game and discuss "strategy" for an hour? Shouldnt they just come to the arena, ref a ballgame by the books, and then maybe chat afterwards over some dinner? Has anyone EVER looked at the NBA Champions FT stats over the last 15 years? The game of basketball is the one sport where a referee can make a call, and even though 15000 screaming fans know its wrong, the call is ok? Because as Stern says "They are humas nd make mistakes..." If they ae so human, why not let a coach use a challenge? How many times has a team gone on a 10-0 run on a team to get back in the gme and all of a sudden a TERRIBLE offensive foul is called? Or over the back? Or my personal favorite, "the Loose Ball Foul"? I will probably NEVER stop watching the NBA cause #1 I'm a huge Celtics fan and #2 cause I love basketball, but I just dont see how this is ok. The whole Tim Donague thing is practically GONE now, and this guy worked for the company and stated practically verything thats being said here, yet, its a none issue? I guess all in all this is a rant, but I needed to get it out. Oh yea, and good win by the Magic tonight huh? How about 15-8 FT Attempts in the 4th quarter and you guessed it, their last 10 points were from the charity stripe. THE NBA: Where SCRIPTING HAPPENS

If you script it, they will watch.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
First... you should immediately stop posting, because you have a 13:2 Tommy Point to Post ratio which would let you retire as possibly the best ratio in Celticsblog history.  Kind of a big deal.

Second, I can't say I agree there is a script, but of course I do agree with the idea of challenges.  Though the refs would have to change their entire mentality, because as it stands now if a coach challenged a play, they would get ejected or their team would be punished for it.  Most NBA refs don't seem to like getting challenged on anything at all, and tend to overeact.

But anyways... I never get tired of complaining about NBA refs myself.  I'd say it's beating a dead horse, but the league could fix it, yet chooses not to.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP to bigal534.

But anyways... I never get tired of complaining about NBA refs myself.  I'd say it's beating a dead horse, but the league could fix it, yet chooses not to.

I really like beating this dead horse.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:12 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
TP to bigal534.

I really like beating this dead horse.

What can I say but

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
The refereeing has been unusually inconsistent this year to say it politely. I would say that there is an agenda out there perhaps dictated by the Bilderberg meetings or from Obama's cabinent.

Besides of my shining examples of how Lebron "legalized" traveling this year, there are countless examples of how charges mysteriously became blocks just because of the time and score of the day [Remember the Alamo (I mean remember the blocking fouls on Pierce)].

Certainly, I hope this refereeing problem gets cleaned up so as not to dominate the conversation on Celtics Stuff Live this spring.

I am truly tired grousing about the referrees because that seems to be the only thing I have done the last FORTY YEARS!!!!!
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:44:55 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Is that you Tommy Heinsohn?

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

Is that you Tommy Heinsohn?
[/quote]
Hahahaha so, so, so true :D
TP
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?