Author Topic: The Tony Allen Thread  (Read 12100 times)

Re: The Tony Allen Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
No Tony Allen for me thanks. I rather see Bill Walker out there. He's already better than Tony and he's like 3 inches taller.

what?

Tony Allen = 6 ft 5 inches
Bill Walker = 6 ft 6 inches

Not trying to hate on Billy Walker, because I like him... But what has he done or proved that makes him "better" than Tony Allen, besides the fact that he averaged 17 points/game in the D-League?

He is listed at 6'4, but I think that is adding an inch to his actual height.

Tony Allen is a 6'3" off guard who can't shoot and has a bad handle. He can't make it threw a game without dribbling the ball off his foot and at least 3 TO. Instead of TA he should be called TO.

He is listed at 6'4"
Bill Walker is listed at 6'6"

Two inches difference, but Tony Plays a lot bigger than his actual height. He can easily defend and score against the best 2's and 3's in the league. He does not let size effect his game. So why does it even matter?
I think you're deluding yourself if you actually believe this. Tony is not good against the better 3's in the league. Heck he has trouble scoring against like size 2's, nevermind any level of competence in a 3. And as for defensively, Tony still hasn't seen a headfake that he hasn't fallen for at least a million times.

Maybe I'm being stubborn here. But I'm pretty sure Tony is quick enough to take some of the better 2's and 3's in the league off the dribble... Sure he may dribble the ball off his foot every once in a while, but he is capeable of doing it, easily. My point is, I agree with most of the people on this thread with their assesment that Tony Allen is terribly inconsistent. Also, when he isn't too busy falling for the up-fakes, I believe he has been a pretty good defender. Again, it's inconsistency. But he's our best option right now heading into the post season.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tony easily blows by anyone who is guarding him.  He gets by the initial defender as well as anyone in the league.  His issues are in what he does after he gets by the initial defender.

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Tony easily blows by anyone who is guarding him.  He gets by the initial defender as well as anyone in the league.  His issues are in what he does after he gets by the initial defender.

If he doesn't dribble the ball off his foot first..

I'll be honest, I like what TA gives us on D. He's a terrific man defender but has the offensive IQ of a bag of rocks.

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 01:24:49 AM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think a lot of people forget or don't realize that TA averaged almost 8 points a game in 19 minutes prior to his injury. That's a pretty good contribution, and his defensive skills are above average for a guard. I certainly miss TA and hope he returns before playoff time, because Bill Walker isn't ready to fill those shoes yet.

TP
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
But is Tony Allen any better a basketball player than he was when he was drafted?  Is there anything he's really gotten BETTER at in what, five years?  It's not like he was drafted out of high school; he was a four-year college player.

What's the difference, though? He's a decent backup. Whether he's better or worse than he was 5 years ago is neither here nor there. At this point, how good of a player he'll be in 5 years isn't really important. It's what he does for us this year and next.

Because he's not good enough to be someone you can rely on.  He's too inconsistent to be a major rotation player on a GOOD team.  Some nights, he looks like he could be sixth man of the year; other nights, he looks like he belongs in the D-League.  That's unacceptable, and too many people think he's suddenly going to "get it" - it ain't happening.

If this is all you're getting from Tony - if there really IS no more potential to be unlocked - it's just not good enough.

Last year he played about 18 minutes a game for us, and this year he's playing 19. Isn't that a major rotation player, or aren't we a GOOD team?

They keep feeding him minutes, either because they're hoping something will finally click or just because we're pretty desperately lacking in legit backup wings. 

Outside of (maybe) Mikki Moore, he's the worst player on the C's over the past two seasons to get regular minutes.  You want to say he's OK as the 9th or 10th man on a good team?  Fine, I can live with that - but if you gave me a couple minutes, I'm pretty sure I could compile a list of at least 25 backup wings throughout the league that I would rather give PT to than Tony Allen.

There just seems to be an expectation that for some reason, Good Tony is finally going to exorcize Bad Tony - but it's just not going to happen.  It bothers me that they could have picked up someone like Matt Barnes (one of the 25) at the vet minimum, but instead decided to roll with TA. 

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2009, 08:58:07 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
But is Tony Allen any better a basketball player than he was when he was drafted?  Is there anything he's really gotten BETTER at in what, five years?  It's not like he was drafted out of high school; he was a four-year college player.

What's the difference, though? He's a decent backup. Whether he's better or worse than he was 5 years ago is neither here nor there. At this point, how good of a player he'll be in 5 years isn't really important. It's what he does for us this year and next.

Because he's not good enough to be someone you can rely on.  He's too inconsistent to be a major rotation player on a GOOD team.  Some nights, he looks like he could be sixth man of the year; other nights, he looks like he belongs in the D-League.  That's unacceptable, and too many people think he's suddenly going to "get it" - it ain't happening.

If this is all you're getting from Tony - if there really IS no more potential to be unlocked - it's just not good enough.

Last year he played about 18 minutes a game for us, and this year he's playing 19. Isn't that a major rotation player, or aren't we a GOOD team?

They keep feeding him minutes, either because they're hoping something will finally click or just because we're pretty desperately lacking in legit backup wings. 

Outside of (maybe) Mikki Moore, he's the worst player on the C's over the past two seasons to get regular minutes.  You want to say he's OK as the 9th or 10th man on a good team?  Fine, I can live with that - but if you gave me a couple minutes, I'm pretty sure I could compile a list of at least 25 backup wings throughout the league that I would rather give PT to than Tony Allen.

There just seems to be an expectation that for some reason, Good Tony is finally going to exorcize Bad Tony - but it's just not going to happen.  It bothers me that they could have picked up someone like Matt Barnes (one of the 25) at the vet minimum, but instead decided to roll with TA. 

I'm not expecting Tony Allen to be a great player night in and night out. But from the other side there seems to be the belief that bench players from other teams that we hardly see don't have as many flaws as the players we have under a microscope on our roster. I'm not saying that TA's among the best backup wings in the league, but I'm sure that you'd sour on most of the people that you'd put on your list after observing their play for an entire season.

TA isn't a great 6th man. The Celts don't have one. But we don't necessarily need one. On many teams the "6th man" is one of the top 4-5 players on the team because a team will have 3 good wings and a bad pg and center. We have a bunch of decent role players who are all capable of contributing in a given situation as opposed to one player that you always plug in. It doesn't doom our chances.